Author Topic: Anyone concerned about the new Naish SUP 2020 construction?  (Read 14384 times)

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone concerned about the new Naish SUP 2020 construction?
« on: October 09, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »
Hi y'all,

I'm in the business for a new board and have always *loved* Naish. Right now, I have a 2017 7'10 X 27 Carbon Pro and LOVE it. But I've moved to Maine from SoCal and the waves are much mushier so I need to go a bit bigger.

Looking at the 2020 models, I'm a little concerned about the construction - see here: https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/mad-dog-s-glass-sandwich/ It seems like Naish has really been moving to save $$$ (letting team riders go, ditching the true pro models for more width/length to fit a larger audience, and now possibly reducing construction cost).

In the past, I have hated all glass boards. They crack/spider web for me regularly. And it's why I have loved Naish so much - never have I had a break or buckle (I did have a defective/warped board and they warrantied it immediately). See here for a post on 2020 construction post: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35189.0.html

Then again, it's a Naish sandwich and I tend to trust them. Has anyone bought one of these? What do y'all think?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:41:31 PM by Sup44 »
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Anyone concerned about the new Naish SUP 2020 construction?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
Polyester resin spider cracks. Not epoxy.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »
Well, you know my opinion since you read my post but in all fairness I'm not familiar with other 2020 models.
If it's the Maliko 2020 you're eyeing, it looks like Naish were going for weight savings over durability. The board is light. but paint chips easily. Unless you're gentle with your boards I don't think it's the board for you.

As for other models. I would love to hear others chime in.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
Yes. The bottom of my 2018 Maliko shows a few very small dents coming from downwinding in waters where river and tides bring small piece of woods floating under teh surface. And everytime I look at these, I am thansful for the durable (if heavy) construction of the 2018 board.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »

Every glass SUP i've had was epoxy  :o
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 02:56:24 AM »
Weird if they were spider cracks from flex. We’re they impact dings? Not try to argue what you saw but that’s weird as epoxy normally dents from minor impact and should never spider from flexing. Typically you’d see stretch then break as a behavior.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »

I have no idea about board building but which one is better polyester resin or epoxy?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »

I have no idea about board building but which one is better polyester resin or epoxy?

Epoxy

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
Why not just look for the companies that are spending more on construction? Not saying Naish are not doing this but in the world of race boards some companies are looking to make way better products that are light and designed to last.

I know us at ONE have invested in now making all our boards in either hollow which is light, stiff and strong and IMO the best performance boards or PVC sandwich which for us is tough as hell and really good weights. We are paying more now than ever to make our boards but we choose to do it this way as i know how much better the end product is.

I think it's exciting times for race board construction and the days of just trying to make boards lighter at the expense of durability is over as now you should be able to get both.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »
Any brand that would take the Maliko design and make it with a Jimmy Lewis type of sandwich construction/weight has my vote.
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 07:02:26 PM »
Why not just look for the companies that are spending more on construction? Not saying Naish are not doing this but in the world of race boards some companies are looking to make way better products that are light and designed to last.

I know us at ONE have invested in now making all our boards in either hollow which is light, stiff and strong and IMO the best performance boards or PVC sandwich which for us is tough as hell and really good weights. We are paying more now than ever to make our boards but we choose to do it this way as i know how much better the end product is.

I think it's exciting times for race board construction and the days of just trying to make boards lighter at the expense of durability is over as now you should be able to get both.

I like what you doing with the board construction Jacko.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 07:05:48 PM »
Any brand that would take the Maliko design and make it with a Jimmy Lewis type of sandwich construction/weight has my vote.

If thier thinking yes but for now why not find a local custom board and build your dream board or ask Jacko to build you one andstop wasting your $.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 09:05:34 PM »
Oh I am not wasting any $ trust me.
There is the shaper that Burchas is using if needs be in the future, but of course there is the distance.
Looks like the construction of the Maliko still guarantee me some more years of good use.
Blackfish Paddles

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »

I'm not sure if I understand the concern so bear with me (I say this because I have never had an issue with cracking). I also have not gotten a 2020 board yet so there is that, but I am not sure the construction has changed that much?

I would not worry too much, and the MadDog shapes are awesome for the bumpy stuff. I am thinking of getting another one. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal