Author Topic: impact vest to wear under wetsuit?  (Read 36270 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
impact vest to wear under wetsuit?
« on: October 08, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
so, i need an impact vest to wear under a wetsuit, one that's short enough that a/ i can sit w it on and b/ still use a waist belt for my leash.

the kind folks at tc surfski kindly sent me this one to try out but it's just too much bulk for me: https://tcsurfski.com/product/nelo-pfd/.  front panel is 2", back panel is 1.5"

hey, bill: how does your vaikobi measure out?
hey, beasho, or others who own one: what about the gooru?

i've also been looking at the liquid force wakeboarding vests, based on positive youtube commentary, but i still don't know about length and thickness.  https://www.wakesports.com/collections/life-vests/products/liquid-force-z-cardigan-comp-vest-tropical-2019?variant=12744411414551

thoughts, all?

yes, i know i could go with the vaikobi on the outside but i just can't deal with the bright coloring.  now that i'm stuck riding a buttboard, aka a waveski, i'm already enuf of a freak in the line up as it tis.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: impact vest to wear under wetsuit?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »
The O'Neil Comp vests are good. Many styles to choose from and they all come in black. I have the Slasher Comp and love it.

There is no way any of my wetsuits will fit over a vest. I wear mine on the outside and have never had a problem with it shifting or riding up.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:22:12 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 07:09:21 PM »
Just wear a black rash guard over it. My old impact vest had bright green stripes on it. I didn't like the look, so I wore my black long sleeve rash over it. Now I wear white rash guards over my standard 2 mil vest because I get over heated with the black in the sun. During the winter I'll wear the long sleeve black rash guard to pick up a little extra warmth.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 08:33:03 AM »
The gooru will work for you just fine. It seems to be trim enough that it fits fine under my full suit.  If worn on top or in the summer alone it can get pulled up over my head by the wave.  So like TallDude says I wear a rashguard or teeshirt over it.
Good luck.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 08:53:35 AM »
+1 on the Gooru, love mine.  It is pretty in cognito, and makes you look like you have a six pack.  I wear a waist leash when it gets big.  I feel that the gooru adds 1 mm of thickness to your wetsuit temperature rating.  So a 3/2, feels more like a 4/3.  When wearing a wetsuit, I wear it inside.   A backzip suit is easier to put on imo (I have a bad shoulder).  I am in between sizes for the gooru, I went up in size to try to prevent chaffing in the arm pit area.  The gooru maybe adds an inch of circumference around the chest.  If you are at the upper limit of your wetsuit chest size, then you may need a to go up one size.  But I would try to buy a suit that still fits your waist, as you don't want it baggy.   When trying on new suits at a shop, bring the gooru.
When kitesurfing, I wear an additional impact vest outside my suit (promotion), with both, feels equivalent to coast guard approved floatation.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
The Gooru is just one of many O'Neil Comp vest models although I haven't seen it on the website for quite some time. It could be discontinued but some shops might still have some leftovers in stock. I think the Gooru was the model that started the line. Originally they were pullovers. Now they all have zippers.

Personally I think the Slasher Comp looks better than the Gooru.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:24:26 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »
thanks, all!

re the gooru -- how is it when you're sitting down and, say, leaning forward?  is it long such that the top pushes up against your chin?

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »
No, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t do that. It is supple, not stiff.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »
It shouldn't move at all. They are soft and stretchy, and conform to your body. On me, they come down to a few inches below my belly button or right at belt level and doesn't push up when sitting or leaning forward.

My first vest was the O'Neil Techno Comp pullover which was identical to the Gooru at the time but made with better material. The O'Neil Comp vests have gone through a lot of changes in the last five years. Now they are all made from the same material but have different style/models to choose from. The pullovers have been discontinued and all have zippers now.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:47:34 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »
Hey Eric, I've got a gooru you can borrow if you want to see if it works for you. Give me a call or message me and we'll work it out

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
   sounds great, tom.  i'll PM you!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »
ended up getting this from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Mens-Hyperfreak-Green/dp/B07GZ7N8BC/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=O%27Neill+Wetsuits+Men%27s+Hyperfreak+Comp+Vest&psc=1&qid=1570993939&sr=8-2

i bought both L and XL and found that they run extremely small, so i'm keeping the XL.  both were from amazon warehouse.  if you want the L, it'll soon be back at the site, for 75.  the XL cost me around 80, but it had a small rip in one of the seams, so amazon refunded me 25, bringing the total cost for this total cheapskate to $55.  i like!

near as i can tell from the o'neill website, this is the gooru replacement.  fits great and can do everything i want.  very low-key, too, which is a big bonus to the kind of shy flower i am.

thanks, all, for helping me out w/ my search!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 01:08:43 PM »
ended up getting this from amazon:

very low-key, too, which is a big bonus to the kind of shy flower i am.

Right...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »
Good choice.

I found the Amazon reviews very helpful when choosing the size.

The vest should feel fairly tight when putting it on dry. The material stretches and feels more comfortable after you get it wet.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
xl fits just right now.  hopefully, won't feel too big after it gets wet.  tiny waves at the moment, but i might wear it tomorrow to give it a test run.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal