Author Topic: Fin Fit  (Read 8168 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fin Fit
« on: October 09, 2019, 04:53:10 AM »
Coming from the era of glass-on fins, sloppy fin fit bothers the hell out of me. The small amount of play you can get in a Futures box probably makes no performance difference, and I see people just snap the FCS II fins in without using the screws at all...but... 

I'll add aluminum body tape until you have to push the fin in, and there's no side clearance before tightening down the screws. The tape is malleable enough that it "conforms" to the box, but won't wear out over time, like regular painters tape will. I've found that with actual Futures fins, it only takes one strip (0.005") to close the gap, but some aftermarket "Amazon" fins take up to 3 layers (0.015"). When I find fins that work, they go in the board for good. A real Futures fin will tighten in pretty well if you crank down on the screw, but will loosen up over time, as the fin rocks against the screw, requiring tightening the screw again. Using aluminum tape, I don't need to crank down on the set screws to get the fin tight, just enough that you see the fin move down and seat.

I wonder how many other people out there are obsessive as me about fin fit... Some days it's ridiculous...LOL

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Fin Fit
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 05:14:24 AM »
That's a great idea.   8)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:37:44 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 06:36:08 AM »
@ OkiWild

I use Futures fins on all of my three sups. If I ever get any "play" in them, I'll remember this idea.

Thanks for and sharing the tip.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 06:54:51 AM »
I was obsessed with fin testing a few years ago. 

My spots are similar to yours.  Big and boomy in the winter.  Warranting 10' boards and bigger.  My conclusion:  SMALL Fins are better.

Lift increases as the square of speed.  If you want to go fast you need to limit the drag.  Opposing fins with camber introduce HUGE amounts of drag.  Go with the smallest fins you can on the bigger SUP's for performance in bigger waves.

I made this video (edit) to show how ONLY the 1 fin is actually holding the board in the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3z01EF80RE&t=63s 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:56:15 AM »
I installed Pro-Boxes, changed cant, used symmetrical fins, reversed the camber on fins . . ..  until this happened.

Sad Sack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNAybIFYPDs

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 07:31:35 AM »
Bummer Beasho...that board has been the focus of several great threads here on the Zone.  Although it might not seem feasible to put her back together, I would take that on as a little project for sure.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »
On the topic of fin fit, on a hot day, for anyone struggling to fit a tight fin you might decide to sand the tab or even the box (ouch!) to fit.  But before you do, try dousing the fin box and fin with cold water.  It's amazing the difference that it makes.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »
I don't like loose fins on a thruster or 2+1 setup.  I usually try to mate a fin with a board based on the finbox. 
But when riding a single fin, loose worked for Larry Bertlemann (00:39).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06FlVg6vtI
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
I cut up an aluminum beer can for fin shims. Works well and there seems to always be an empty beer can about.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »
Having shimmed up windsurfing fins for decades, I have been in the habit of cutting pieces of thin plastic as you might find on common packaging. I keep a supply of different thicknesses as I swap different fins between different boards. Your metallic tape definitely works better than painters tape or duct tape, which both tend to shred easily.
I have had a lot fewer problems with Futures boxes than with US boxes, but I did have to shim a Futures box the other day.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 05:58:25 PM »
FCS sells these plastic fin shims that work really well in the large center fin boxes. Not sure how well they would work in the small Futures boxes. Most surf shops should have them.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 06:03:14 PM »
bert!

great video
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »
Having shimmed up windsurfing fins for decades, I have been in the habit of cutting pieces of thin plastic as you might find on common packaging. I keep a supply of different thicknesses as I swap different fins between different boards. Your metallic tape definitely works better than painters tape or duct tape, which both tend to shred easily.
I have had a lot fewer problems with Futures boxes than with US boxes, but I did have to shim a Futures box the other day.

I've always shimmed with paper such as a business card or just a small piece of loose leaf--all depending on the fit needed.  I wrap it around part of the base of the fin before putting the fin in the box, then slice of any excess with a razor blade.  The thinking was that the paper swells a bit when it is wet and really "locks in" the fin.  A local pro showed me this trick years ago. 

While I've never had a problem, this discussion has made me realize I probably need to expand my thinking to something more durable such as the plastic or metal tape ideas discussed here.  Actually, I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't even think of those options; certainly those options mean that the fin can be removed and replaced with no hassle, as opposed to hunting down a new piece of paper because the existing one just falls apart upon removal.  Only shows why it's a good idea to check the Zone regularly to see what the smart people are doing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:04:25 AM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 11:25:05 AM »
Scissors on Dr. Pepper cans. Metal tape old dog new tricks. Sounds like a major improvement to me.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
actually metal tape best--get it right in the garage, the proper tape setup for each fin remains attached, ready to go--hate that plastic film.

my boards are either fcs twin tab, or II, at this point so no mas the shim game
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal