Author Topic: My 5th attempt at wing foiling  (Read 7620 times)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My 5th attempt at wing foiling
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:04:17 PM »
So this past Sunday I had my 5th time on the foil with the wing. Winds were approximately 12-18mph from E. I was riding jl 6.5 Flying V with gofoil Maliko 280 and 5m Duotone. My first two attempts were funny, violent and full of spectacular crashes. But by the end of my second attempt I managed to fly for like 30 sec or so. Things started to click. I have had no prior foiling/wind sport experience. So, on my last attempt I am somewhat comfortable flying on my regular side (port tack) but feel out of control and really wobbly in my switch stance (starboard tack). Trying to figure out proper foot placement as well get as much practice as I can. Excited 😆 . Words of wisdom always welcome, thanks!

Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: My 5th attempt at wing foiling
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 03:33:19 AM »
Feeling your stoke.  Way to go GZA!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 04:35:03 AM »
Good Job Brudda 8) Looking at home on that Flying V.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 05:50:46 AM »
Gaza, I would request a sponsorship if: " I have had no prior foiling/wind sport experience." and you got that far in a few go-outs. Good for you.  What do you weigh? 

It's funny you mention Port and Stb. tacks, I am only winging on a SUP but can squeak upwind to Port and can't do c'hit to Starboard.

Good for you.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:16:31 AM »
Criticism? You look like you are getting it wired.  Good for you!

By the way where are you riding? it looks like a great set up
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:18:18 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 07:54:36 AM »
@Admin - thanks!
@burchas - Thank you!Love my V - great little board. Come to FL, let's wing it man.
@westuff - sponsorship  ;D you are too funny. I am light 5.6 @165lbs.  Jargon comes from me being around windsurf body James (FloridaWindSup).
@caribsurf - thanks man! I am in the pass that leads out to the Gulf of Mexico. It is perfect for when winds are from NE,E. It is offshore in the gulf so that pass makes it perfect to practice. Also I don't have to deal with waves when I am learning.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 08:30:52 AM »
Amazing gzasinets. You’re doing fantastic!

I’m going to be following your progress with interest. Like you, I have no prior foiling or windsport experience. But this looks like so much fun. I really want to give this a try.

I think I’ve read every single post re Wingfoiling on this forum. Unfortunately, we are quickly going into winter, so I won’t be able to try until next Spring. I guess the good thing, is that I’m hoping there might be some next generation gear available by then.

So I’m holding off for now, and hope to make some decisions on what gear to get early in the new year. In the meantime, I’m soaking up all the information I can get from you and all the other people who are posting. And don’t be surprised, when next year rolls around, if I don’t have a ton of questions.

Thanks so much for your post, and congratulations on doing so well.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »
Great job!

Yeah, switchfoot is kind of a bitch, if I fall and there's room I'll waterstart going port and then jibe rather than trying to get up going starboard. When I'm up on the foil going to starboard it's much easier to go out of control. I've learned though that it's easier for me to go downwind switchfoot, probably because that became my escape from going out of control and rounding up on a close reach. Head downwind and everything slows down pretty quickly.

Admin and Chan seem to be having less trouble with starboard tacks. I assume it's because of their recent windsurfing experience--switchfoot is essential in windsurfing. I haven't done any serious windsurfing for the last five or more years.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
Starboard is still like 3 weeks behind Port for me. I am flying but not proud of it.  If I see someone out there I want to explain "I'm Offside" kind of like Castanza yelling "shrinkage".  I really have to coach myself on starboard to get my body in the right position, particularly if it is windy and with swell.  Making myself pump the board  in the air helps me find the position (even when pumping is not needed).  You can't really pump the board with the wrong body position.   

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
My wife saw me watching you enjoying the fly and said, ‘that’s more my speed’.

She is an old windsurfer, tarifa.  She hates the whole padding thing with surfing.
She wonders why there is no harness.  I said maybe the foil aspect makes it lighter on the arms?

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
Great video! It's fun to see wing videos from first person view, there are so few out there. And awesome riding spot, looks ideal for winging!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
well done gzasinets.
nice color JL Flying V, you wanna swap with my color red  :)
watching your vid makes me wanna find time to wing ding with Jimmy and fly V  ;D

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 10:12:13 AM »
@quickbeam - thank you! Once your winter is over get on it - it is so fun and addicting. That feeling of tranquility of soaring above water is something. I am sure there will be plenty of new stuff coming out - but I guess we kinda agree on the size of the foil - bigger is easier for beginners.

@PonoBill - thanks Bill. I guess SB tack is going to be the matter of practice and more practice. I also notice that it requires quite a bit more wind to get up on the foil in my switch. When I am flying though my lower body seems like it is paralyzed and I don’t even wanna breathe  ;D since it might upset my balance. Feels like it is going to take a while.

@Admin - I can’t yet pump in my regular position -trying to work on the rhythm, let alone switch. I am sure gonna need another 100 sessions before it all comes together. 

@surfinJ - no harness although some wing brands start adding those in for those longer upwind tacks. Windsurfing puts a lot more effort on your body - foil eliminates most of it since you don’t have much friction at all. I don’t think I need another unknown element at this point. After a couple of hours of flying though - next day I am feeling a little soreness in my forearms, shoulders and back. Could be just the adaptation period since no muscle memory developed yet. Wing is light on its own and when you have consistent wind it sort of flies on its own without you actually holding its weight.

@Rastaman3030 - thanks man, I am glad you like it, appreciate your input.

@JEG - no 🤣, brought that board all the way from Maui, custom color by HST in Maui. Probably not many around. Flying V is so good, I am loving it, especially when I breach - I don’t even fall - foil gurgles, sends me nose down and then board pops up out of the water and I am back flying. Love it! Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal