Author Topic: Echo Composites 18' touring - good deal?  (Read 13956 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Echo Composites 18' touring - good deal?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
So Big Blue is about 45 pounds btw, and supposedly built with renting in mind, so some of that would just be thick glass. I might have been happily ignorant paddling it :D
The two boards are in my friend's garage now. There's a chance I'll visit 'em and paddle this year. Ice is forming on the lakes so I'm not in a hurry to get them up to Alaska.
I'm dying to try them out. My wife thinks I'm nuts getting more boards, and "why 2 more? Aren't they both about the same?". But 2 unlimited boards for $1600 seemed too good a chance to pass up. Thanks again for the help  TD. I will be posting up when I finally get to paddle for sure :D

Nothing wrong with that!!!
Flat#Naish Javelin LE 14' x 26" 250L
DW#Naish Maliko 14' x 26" 264L
  Andaman 500, Salish 460
Touring#Sunova Allwater 14'x27" 319L
  Andaman 520, Salish 500
Wave#Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L
  Mana 82

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach native
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Echo Composites 18' touring - good deal?
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »
I think you scored the killer Unlimited deal. Two really good but different boards. Each has there pros and cons. The Bark is pretty light and in good shape. The Hobie is the same. You can see the repair I did on the tail turned out pretty good. I used the same type of CF to do the repair. The bark has an older screw vent that you have to keep loose while storing and travelling with. It sticks straight up at the thickest point of the board, which means you can't stack anything on it. That's why I had the uShip guy put the Hobie on the bottom. I also gave him some scrap carpet to put between the trailer and the bottom of the Hobie. The bubble wrap and padded board bag I wrapped the Hobie with will cushion the bark on top. I made sure he didn't crank down hard on the boards with his ratchet straps. He hauls a bunch of CF racing sail boats for a company out of San Diego, so he understands how fragile they are. I guess they made it in one piece to Washington 8)
You'll have fun with these boards.