Author Topic: East Coast gon Fire Again!  (Read 65134 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: East Coast gon Fire Again!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 12:11:27 PM »
bit of a bust down here, so far--yesterday the 6 sec disorder, with offshores in the high teens, and powerful east to west sweep, was challenging---today went to 11 seconds with solid size, but offshore into the 20's---exciting parades of DOH walls, but lotta work, punishing closeouts---both sessions were short

tomorrow bigger and windier yet--gonna go to work and watch from the cams--sat first light may be just right

seen the matunuck cam, creek--was thinking that was the sweet spot today

PJ is a swirling toilet!!!

and yeah, what happened?? in board shorts a week ago--3/2 season lasted 2 days...........

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:13:16 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
Osprey,

You taking pictures of Fluffy's ? That is my actual back/side yard.
That is a bit of a road trip for you.

Fluffy's it is! It held up well.  Couldn't pass on the picture, such a fun wave. You know the spot, the wind was howling. I'm  skipping on today a little bit more wind=more chop. I'm gonna take a peak tommorrow. The weekend could be fun!!!!

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »
my lord. pics coming out of long beach today are all time.  EASTIE!!! I hope you got it.

have some 'protected' spots in MOCO that can handle 8-10 foot surf Sat.  Proning for sure. But stoked for the weekend!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 03:08:11 AM »
to be honest, nojerz, i was challenged--no sups anywhere fro lincoln to riis--except me of course--got a fgew massive bombs, but some off balance drops given winds and big side chop--going to work now---and it's huuuuge sat noon shd clean up and retain very good size

humbled---not by the size, but by the nasty conditions
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 04:06:27 AM »
It’s blowing hard off to side off every ware so I’m thinking of a Sakonett downwinder today, high tides at 12:30 so a little wind against tide might be fun, see if the Point Break like downwinders?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:08:34 AM by rbgar »

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 06:44:20 AM »
to be honest, nojerz, i was challenged--no sups anywhere fro lincoln to riis--except me of course--got a fgew massive bombs, but some off balance drops given winds and big side chop--going to work now---and it's huuuuge sat noon shd clean up and retain very good size

humbled---not by the size, but by the nasty conditions

I've stopped struggling with SUP in 10+ MPH winds.  Just so much easier to prone- and when you take the paddle advantage out of the equation you are just surfing a huge less manuverable board with a stick in your hand to blow away :)

still shocked by the pictures coming out of yesterday out of LB and even Rockaways. PS who booby trapped the 90th street cam on the swell of the fall??

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 07:22:12 AM »
actually looks more orderly today:

https://thesurfersview.com/live-cams/new-york/rockaway-ny-beach-cam-and-surf-report

tomorrow gon be serious goodies--prolly high tide outgoing will get it to peel--hope there's something left sunday, too

and i hear you re prone, nojerz--and i try to paddle prone on sup, if only to know i can if i lose paddle in size--but even that minimal attempt causes spaz in my neck zone--and with my hip i aint popping onto anything steep--old man whining.............otoh i do get big waves on my sup

id be proning right now were i capable--maybe on the cam i just linked!

you gotz wind troubles--hit me youre thinking of driving--expect crowds if you come up by me--tho there is this one spot ive been checking
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:31:47 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »
Didn't get a chance to get out yesterday due to work. Had a small window this am so I went to check out Gilgo - the angle isn't as good for the wind as Lido and LB but the size was massive - Heaving double-overhead sets.... and no one out. Probably should have thought better of it but went ahead and paddled out and spent an hour battling against 30mpg+ gusting winds and a fair amount of chop. Took a few on the head and had to jump off some drops but was finally rewarded with one of the steepest drops I've ever taken and was able to ride it out clean. No witnesses other than the plovers...  took a couple snaps on the way out.  The swell is going to drop tomorrow but winds should make it a fun day. 

Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
Eddie would go....

Don wouldn't

Slamming beach break
as if the rocks aren't dangerous enough, now the break is filled with lobster traps, buoys and ropes, so it will be an adventure to surf even after things calm down.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
South Jersey is Firing!!!  But over my head both figurative and literally!

After taking yesterday off, I ventured out again to the same break. There is an outside wave and an inside wave. I had all intentions of staying inside as the conditions are more manageable there but two other way more experienced sup surfers ventured out to the outside wave. Getting more and more comfortable with my abilities I followed. The good news was I caught three waves I have no right surfing and I have never experienced that size or juice before. The bad news was a snapped leash (not to bad a swim) and getting caught on the inside a few times. The two guys I was with killed it despite the wind and bumpy conditions. It's so much fun watching really good sup surfers.

"humbled---not by the size, but by the nasty conditions"

I feel ya Eastbound!

Tied up my leash, paddled in, got a new leash and surfed the inside wave a while.

Hoping to regain that confidence tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:47:54 PM by ospreysup »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
Glad to see you guys are on it. Only surfing I did was on the net/web today unfortunately. NY looked a bit above my pay grade.
Was pretty bored so grabbed a bunch of shots. HUGE storm. My barrier island has been a no go the whole swell. Atlantic City has been good.
Parts of Long Beach Boulevard, the main road through Long Beach Island, were impassible Friday morning due to flooding. Guessing you NYers didn't get near the flooding we did here in NJ. Surf went Code Red up there!

Oct_Nor_Easter_2019
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OOyDmkiWyqsVu5qPYdzi4bpxf8Aku6yT
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:01:02 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
Yeah Cookie!!! Appreciate the pic(s). I'll be back here tomorrow. It got the better of me today.  I too went over to AC to watch a little when I was done. All the pics are awesome and really capture what we are seeing. Here is a little video of Ben Gravy. According to him, the biggest Jersey surf he's seen. Ben's a bit of a local legend done here by AC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sEVvgyUEvs

And the flooding has been crazy and they say tonight maybe the worst of it.

Get healthy, I want to get up a catch a few with you!!!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 05:26:32 PM »
Ben Gravy..love his videos ..representing South Jersey well  ( I grew up in OC)  That opening clip wave is unreal

met him at Surf Expo last January ..great guy.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 05:43:23 PM »
Ben Gravy is one of the most stoked guys I've ever met.  Spent a week surfing with him and Chuck Patterson in PR a couple years back and had an amazing time - even made a couple small appearances on his Vlog.  What was interesting today was how many people were at Lido (described on Surfline as Epic) vs Gilgo and LB.  Even at the end of the day on the way back from work there wasn't anyone out at Gilgo. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 08:31:04 PM »
Nothin like a good nor-easter. Really my favorite time of year to srf.

https://youtu.be/tPyeHtuPFAk

Gravy's blog was nukin!

https://youtu.be/0sEVvgyUEvs
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal