Author Topic: Quad fin size  (Read 4214 times)

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Quad fin size
« on: August 31, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
I'm going to try switching from a 2+1 fin setup to quad, and I'm wondering which size fins would be best for a SUP in the 9'4" - 9'7" range. I'm interested in the Futures Legacy Quad set, which is either F6 (4.56" high sides & 4.05" high rears), or F8 (4.64" high sides & 4.15" high rears). Not much difference?

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quad fin size
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
Probably no noticeable difference, if you are 180+ go with bigger set. But yeah I have yet to notice a difference.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
I am assuming you are a bigger surfer. If so, take a look at the GL2  or JM2 both come in Futures. . You also may want to reach out to JimK.

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 08:32:14 PM »
175 lbs, so not too big. Usually surf smaller waves.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 05:21:47 AM »
at 175lb on a 9+ shortboard shape I would go for the smaller fins especially on small waves.  You wont need the hold of bid fins and will be more manuverable and with your weight and board size loss of drive should be negligable

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 05:02:23 PM »
I went through a lot of fins in the last year, figuring out what worked. Keeping in mind that everyone doesn't surf the same... Fin placement and all that aside, a SUP is wider in the tail than a short board, so in a hard carve, I can slip the tail pretty easily with a thruster. The quad fixed this, but then there's the issue of the larger/longer rail, and the board not turning as quickly, and the quad will draw a turn out even more vs. the pivot of the thruster.  The GL2's have deep fins (5"+) forward fin, but smaller base. Great for steep and fast waves. The other setup I like in smaller or less hollow surf is the F6 quad. I've also experimented with the QD2 3.75's in the rear of the F6, and they work well to loosen up the turn a bit more (standard F6 uses the QD2 4.0), but on fast, flat sections where the board isn't on a rail, (dropping in straight before the turn starts) it gets "skaty"  like a Japanese shopping cart (swivel casters on all four corners).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal