Author Topic: BIG wings...7m  (Read 167815 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: BIG wings...7m
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2019, 08:38:13 AM »
Hi Rastaman. Do you have the regular XXL or the XXL pro foil? The pro is another level over the regular for easy flying :o

I have the regular XXL. Have you compared the regular to the Pro in the XXL size? I thought the Pro models were faster and more responsive, but didn't have as early of lift due to the thinner profile and less volume?

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
Hi Rastaman. Do you have the regular XXL or the XXL pro foil? The pro is another level over the regular for easy flying :o

I have the regular XXL. Have you compared the regular to the Pro in the XXL size? I thought the Pro models were faster and more responsive, but didn't have as early of lift due to the thinner profile and less volume?
I don't have the Pro's yet but the size of the XXL PRO is bigger than the reg XXL.

Pro XXL 120cm span, 2609 cm2 (projected) 4.2 liters 2.4kg.
XXL 100cm span, 2175 cm2 (projected), 4.26 liters 2.7kgs.

It seems like for paddle in surf the Reg may have some benifits, but with a wind wing, there may not be any down side using the pros instead. I'm hoping  to get a XL PRO or a XXL PRO soon.  Low wind a 7m wing and a big low profile foil may be the ticket at times.

Looking forward to Supunk,s input.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:45:35 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2019, 04:24:27 PM »
I have both the regular Gong XXL and the pro XXL wings and prefer the later for wing foiling. I really can't fault it for my level of riding (over 100 sup foil sessions + around 20 wing sessions). It has more lift than the regular XXL, can fly at very low speeds and is plenty fast enough for me. It was running at just under 20 kmh on my GPS when I measured it but I'm sure it has more top end. It is very controllable throughout its range and has never felt like it was going to blow out at speed. It is also easier to pump through lulls in the wind. I think the pro XXL is a great wing to start wing foiling on. I prefer the regular XXL wing when sup foiling in waves but this is only based on one session with the pro XXL and am going to give it another go. The XL pro wing is much smaller. I have had one session sup foiling with it in small, weak waves and it needed working to keep flying. I am sure it will come into its own in more powerful waves.
Hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:41:01 PM by supunk »

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2019, 10:10:09 PM »
supunk, thanks for the insight! My concern with a front wing that's even wider than my regular XXL is that the edges of the wing will breach out of the water when carving or trying to edge hard up wind (having the foil at an angle), I think I already feel the edges of my 100cm wide XXL starting to come up to the surface when I have the foil at an angle and I'm flying from middle of the mast height. Have you had an issues with that on the XXL Pro?

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2019, 11:12:12 PM »
Hi Rastaman. It was something I had to be careful of with the 65cm mast. I have not had a problem since moving to the 80cm mast. I could see it being an issue if you doing radical carving or sup foiling with the wing on a wave. I should add that I am presently foil winging in sheltered coastal waters and a reservoir. I am not yet taking it to the waves. I'm sure at that stage a smaller wing will be the go. Despite having a lot of Gong gear I have no affiliation with them either. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:18:24 PM by supunk »

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2019, 04:36:30 AM »
Despite having a lot of Gong gear I have no affiliation with them either. :)

so given you do have a lot of Gong gear, seems you're the guy to ask these questions, albeit off topic: do the Gong foils have tuttle only, or is there a mast plate available? Their prices seem crazy low relative to others. For example, to get an Armstrong 2400 full foil would be about $2200, Gong seems to have similar for about $800. how is it possible? (i know all carbon vs. some aluminum, but still...). Is it not much problem getting this stuff from France? Quality still good? I need a really big foil wing, that's why i'm asking, thx.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2019, 06:14:49 AM »
Despite having a lot of Gong gear I have no affiliation with them either. :)

so given you do have a lot of Gong gear, seems you're the guy to ask these questions, albeit off topic: do the Gong foils have tuttle only, or is there a mast plate available? Their prices seem crazy low relative to others. For example, to get an Armstrong 2400 full foil would be about $2200, Gong seems to have similar for about $800. how is it possible? (i know all carbon vs. some aluminum, but still...). Is it not much problem getting this stuff from France? Quality still good? I need a really big foil wing, that's why i'm asking, thx.

Hi beached. Check out there website for all the options - https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/category-product/sup-en/. They come as standard with flat plate mount but the mast can be fitted with a tuttle. The foil is functional, not a work of art (alloy mast, fuse and top plate) but works well. It looks like Gong may be coming out with a carbon mast/fuse which would be a great improvement in stiffness and weight. Gong are based in France but think most of the manufacturing is in China to keep costs down + they only sell direct. I live in the UK so supply is not a problem yet. It may be if Brexit happens :'(. They are very helpful and respond quickly to emails. If you are after a giant wing I don't know of anything larger than the Gong XXL pro ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:23:17 AM by supunk »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2019, 06:21:31 AM »
Gong used to be all carbon, mast and fuselage. I owned one. Weight was similar to aluminum.

Gong is made at the same factory in China, as 2 famous brands, I could name.

They simply cutout the distributor and his margin. That’s why its cheaper.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »
Gong used to be all carbon, mast and fuselage. I owned one. Weight was similar to aluminum.

please do name those brands though either way, ppl will find out?
I think if Gong releases carbon mast and fuselage they will sell even more foils and will really hurt profit $ to others. Even better, if Gong is listening = start making a 1 piece mast/fuselage like the Gofoil and you will dominate the market if the price is right  :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:06:25 PM by JEG »

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2019, 03:37:09 PM »

I think if Gong releases carbon mast and fuselage they will sell even more foils and will really hurt profit $ to others. Even better, if Gong is listening = start making a 1 piece mast/fuselage like the Gofoil and you will dominate the market if the price is right  :)
Pretty sure the plan is for a one piece carbon mast and fuselage by Christmas. We'll see it happens and what the price point will be.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

Pretty sure the plan is for a one piece carbon mast and fuselage by Christmas. We'll see it happens and what the price point will be.

Any idea if the upcoming Gong carbon mast and fuselage will fit their existing front and rear wings?

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »
Any idea if the upcoming Gong carbon mast and fuselage will fit their existing front and rear wings?

Yes, I believe that's what they are doing. I have no idea what the price point for the carbon will be.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal