Author Topic: Wing and a SUP - how do you do it?  (Read 17801 times)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing and a SUP - how do you do it?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 07:27:20 AM »
@caribsurf  that’s me and James ;D That’s a deceiving sup. James tricked it out to be a windsurf board with dagger fin in the middle. So it goes well upwind.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 08:27:12 AM »
Oh ok centerboard, that explains it      best SUP Wing video I have seen so far    ..but still that board really seems to be going pretty fast. Was it?

I have been told that after windsurfing for years, a wing on a SUP will be underwhelming and boring and why I will start foiling (gear arrives tomorrow!)   
Don

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »
It was probably going around 6-7mph - that's what it felt like. I agree that after windsurfing- wing and sup will get boring pretty soon. Need foil. You are on the right track  8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »
Yes, a SUP with a centerboard or dagger fin or and forward-placed fin will go upwind with a wing about as well as it will with a sail. You might even be able to get up on a plane with a big enough wing, some nuking wind, and the right board (probably some variant on a Formula board). If I was unable to foil for some reason I would probably still do wing-sailing over windsurfing for the simple reason of gear simplicity. You pump up the wing and step onto your board. I've been doing this for a while now and I always get to the water certain that I've forgotten to do something.

Of course, regular SUP is even simpler, I got addicted to downwinding mostly because it's so straightforward but still gives me that "I'm gliding!!" feeling.

Windsurfing and kitesurfing are great sports, but the gear intensity is off the charts. I haven't windsurfed in a couple of years, but the overwhelming quantity of gear I store is windsurfing, with kiting running a close second even though I've barely done it.

Still, I'm really glad I can foil, every adrenaline high jumps an order of magnitude when you're flying above the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »
haha--misty of chincoteague!!
my sister read that..............horsey book....

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 10:54:14 AM »
Ya, EB... 'home break'  ...nothing in 30mi to shape a wave but at least we have two options.

gz... the 'centerboard'!  Both seemed to work, guy #2 seemed to be better placed to use the outline/rails of the board.  I had originally thought about a boom wing, but after watching both of you, I think the muli-handle option at the front makes my wing easier to handle.  I'll watch it again, but the front hand seemed awkward to quickly reposition.

Here was my first attempt at a 'centerboard' - it failed dramatically because this 8-0 kiteboard did not have enough volume. The wind needed to be a lot stronger - the kite lot larger - an operator with a Ph.D., Cirque du Soleil.  None showed up for the test.   Cheers.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 11:14:54 AM »
Jim,

Definitely guy 2 is awesome ;D this is James (floridawindsup) who is an amazing windsurfer:)
I am dying to try another wing like naish or f-one swing. Just to see what that feels like. I think that boom is easier for beginner and it was the wing that I tried on Maui and I was compelled to get one.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 05:21:36 PM »
Jim,

Definitely guy 2 is awesome ;D this is James (floridawindsup) who is an amazing windsurfer:)
I am dying to try another wing like naish or f-one swing. Just to see what that feels like. I think that boom is easier for beginner and it was the wing that I tried on Maui and I was compelled to get one.

I'll be in FL shortly. I'll bring my F-One with me since it packs so small and light. The F-one does seem to pack more power than other wings I tried.

I stumbled over a wind surfing clinic today ran by Andy Brandt and I was surprised I could hold speed with some of those wind surfers (beginners) at 12-17knots wind with my 3.5m and my 8 foot surfboard. The guys I talked to definitely shared their impression of how minimalist this wing thing seems compared with their setup.

I can see this new toy opening many possibilities for me once I get good, boring it's not.
in progress...

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »
When are you coming Yuval?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2019, 07:13:51 PM »
When are you coming Yuval?

Probably in a week or so. hope the wind shows up too. I'll be in touch.
in progress...

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
Hi Guys-

I can provide some more details on the "special" SUP that Greg and I were using.

1. It's an Angulo 10'4 Surfa, which already had a mast track for windsurfing when I bought it. My modifications to it were intended to improve its windsurfing characteristics. I made the modifications before WINGsurfing was invented, but they fortuitously fit the needs to WINGsurfing.

2. My first modification was adding a center finbox. I was living in Massachusetts at the time and so was Josh Angulo, so the man himself actually helped me install the finbox. We put the finbox about 1' aft of the midpoint of the board; about where the daggerboard would be on a windsurfing longboard. Mounting a center fin allowed beginner windsurfers to stay upwind better when sailing. https://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2012/04/adding-center-fin-to-sup-for-better.html

3. The second modification was adding a flat rocker section and "step" to the tail, plus putting twin fins forward of the step, so that the board would release and plane on the flat rocker section, rather than gluing itself to the water. When I saw that the board did indeed plane and reached scary high speeds similar to a regular windsurfing board, I added front footstraps. I had good action videos of the board in planing mode and shredding waves, but Vimeo took down my account because of unlicensed music content.  https://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2014/03/angulo-windsup-and-exocet-cross.html

4. On an actual windsurfing longboard with a daggerboard, the daggerboard must be retracted to allow the board to release and plane. On this modified windsup, however, the center fin is small enough and far back enough (especially if I use a raked fin and put it at the back of the box) that the board can plane, or at least approximate planing, with the center fin still in.  It was sort of doing that a couple times in the video when I was using it with the WING. Top speed I recorded on my GPS was 18.7 kph, but that was just on my first "turn" on the board, and I think I went faster on my second turn. Probably in enough wind I could remove the center fin and get really fast planing speeds.

SUMMARY THOUGHT- WINGsurfing with a regular, banana rockered surf style SUP will generally suck (be slow and not go upwind well), the same way that trying to windsurf a regular surf style SUP sucks. But board features like a flatter rocker and a center fin will make it suck much less.

5. I'm very curious now to try to the wing on different kinds of fast boards / boats; sort of a "will it wing?" experiment. I want to try it with my 14x23 race SUP, with Greg's SIC bullet, with my 20' surfski kayak, and with somebody's OC1. 

-James
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
Thanks for the info, James.  Yesterday, I sold the yellow Naish we mounted a similar center fin to a kiter because it did not have enough volume to float me allowing my arms enough reach for a water start. I agree surf rocker makes for added resistance. 

I had an OC-1 - I don't think a seated position would prove very manageable either.  I have another idea for a shallow water board that may plane more readily.  I have a carbon skimboard, but that is too small. (I am sure some acrobat could do a run-and-jump on some big tidal flat) Please post if you find alternatives that work.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal