Author Topic: 2019 Maldives trip.  (Read 19133 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
2019 Maldives trip.
« on: May 27, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »
I just returned from the Sunova Moon Tours  trip that I  did last year.  Conditions  weren't  as good as last year but it still was a great trip. There was a lot of wind the first days and surf was smallish  for most of the  trip. We  surfed  2 or 3 times every  day, some by ourselves and some with crowds.  They've  never had to surf the North Male atolls breaks before which have good surf but can get crowded.

Everyone truly enjoyed  themselves and most signed up for next year.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Maldives trip.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Here is the log I kept for myself.  When I  do a surf trip I find it helps me sort out what I did, days seem to run together.

Day 1. Flew to Male via SFO, Singapore. Arrived 11pm at hotel Avenue Spa. Around 30 hours of transit.
Day 2. Got on the boat around 3. It was determined it was too windy  to surf anywhere  within range. Met the fellow SUPers, dinner  and  beers.
Day 3. Surfed Quarters. Small right, I got a few inside and one nice wave. Decided to stay here all day. I passed on the after breakfast session for the after lunch session. Afternoon session was very good condition, got one great ride and a few others. The first session we shared with 5 or 6 older longboarders and the others were just us.
Day 4. Heading to Mushrooms,  where we surfed last year. Wore myself out trying to catch waves in the sloppy condition in the 1st session and that made me too tired to do well on second session. There were some good waves but not for me.
Day 5. staying at Mushrooms. I passed on the early session. Others did well. Went out for the after lunch session.  Pretty good waves, but off shore made it hard to catch. Got one good one. I passed on the after lunch session.
Day 6. Makados break is too windy so it was desided we'll surf here at Mushrooms today.  I passed on the before breakfast session and went snorkeling and fishing instead. Good snorkel and saw a small tuna caught.  Surfed some on the after breakfast session and try to save energy for after lunch session. After lunch session was great, wind died and consistent waves. Only problem was 11 Spanish surfers got there 1st but wasn't much of a problem.
Day 7. Small glassy Mushrooms before breakfast.  Got some good rides. We've decided to head North due to weather. We got to Riptides around 4 and got a hour and a half surf in. Weird mutant wave, kind of fun.
Day 8. Surfed Riptides in small but glassy conditions after breakfast.  Will stay here for the afternoon session. Afternoon surf pretty poor.
Day 9. Sultans North Male atol was too crowded, 12 boats, so we surfed Honkies the left. I got a few but not a great wave, out going current was brutal. some of us surfed Sultans while I and a few surfed Jails. Jails was not as crowded and I got a bunch of speedy rights.
Day 10. Sultans for 1st and 2nd session. Small but uncrowded. Evening session was better.
Day 11. Sultan for the before breakfast session.  Not much bigger but much more powerful, got the best ride of the trip plus several screamers.  They had 2 more sessions but I passed.
Day 12. left boat at 8;30 am. went to airport hotel for $65 day pass, pool and drinks. flight home leaves at 11;25 pm. 8 out of 11 surfers including me sighed up for next year's trip. It's now 100% sold out.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:24:16 PM »
Yew tom!

thanks for the inside info and me and a buddy just booked on this. about to start a separate thread.....

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
Sounds brilliant fun.

Do you mind if I ask your age and fitness level ?

Sounds like you skipped a fair few sessions- was this necessary because it was so hard-core or just your choice to make the most of the times you went out ?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »
Hey Devon, just re-read my journal and it does sound like I didn't surf a lot. We usually had three sessions a day and I mostly surfed two sessions each day except for two of the days where I surfed only one. When you're on an 11 day surf trip and get to surf every day, you can be picky. The conditions for this trip were worst than most of the other Moon Tour Maldive trips, but still plenty of quality surf. All in all, I think I'm in pretty good shape for being 71 years old. The trip I was on the prior year we had four of us seniors; two past 65, me at 70, and one at 71. This trip I was the oldest by at least 10 years and I was yelling 'respect your elders' when competing for waves. We'll see what happens next May.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
You young whippersnappers...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal