Author Topic: Yikes it's cold.  (Read 7616 times)

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
Re: Yikes it's cold.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »
Outside of the huge bruise on my assback  from a mtn bike wheelie gone very bad...I am stoked to get on it today.  Hopefully, some afternoon or evening wind in the Gorge will be enough for a 5m session?  We'll see though it looks a little sketchy atm, and we are also having Octoberfest party at Boards & More today so we'll see how all that is feeling in my belly?  lol
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 04:28:43 PM »
Drove almost all the way to Arlington looking for wind before Admin and Chan lured me back to the Wall for some weed whacking. Damn there's a lot of weed in the river now. I finally got out and discovered that while the wind was enough for Admin on the same gear as I have to be up and foiling, adding 60 pounds to his weight and going for it was not productive. After motoring back and forth a few times I gave it up as a silly idea and headed back to the truck. I realized as I started back that I was a good half-mile upwind and down-current. With the wing up in the spinnaker position and my feet across the board it was a solid 15 minutes of wobbly downwind sailing to get back. And then there were the weeds. I flipped my board over, left it and the wing to their own devices (at the end of the leashes) and swam/belly crawled across 50+ feet of weed that was almost solid enough to stand on.

So I got that going for me. Headed back to HR hoping there would be something brisker on the way, but alas, it appears that the Wall was the paragon of wind, wimpy as it was.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
In junior high school (an all boys school in Boston - yes, grim) I was a coxswain for the varsity crew team.  Not because I chose to be but because I was one of the two smallest kids in my class and both of us were told that we were coxswains.  Woohoo!  That meant steering a boat full of full sized guys, that were actually doing something, in the rain (from what I recall it was always in the rain) on the Charles river, all season long.  When we won races, the coxswain got chucked in the Charles.  When we lost races the coxswain got chucked in the Charles.  Then I rode the bus back to school with my crew - uhmm - buddies, soaking wet.  While we were out there on the river our coach used to megaphone to us from his cushy Boston Whaler, "Quit your yammering ladies. This isn't a slow dance.  No one's coming to put your slipper on.  This is a character building event."  Today was a character building event.  We did some foiling but we also did some truly rediculous stuff.  Nothing seemed easy.  I cracked the rail of my board with my ass (my sit bone to you new ager's).  I was trying to switch my feet in the air but instead I just hammered the rail and scissored.  Tomorrow looks good :)

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 07:17:37 PM »
As they say in the UK, sports in school are essential so children can learn how to lose.  You guys don't even get off the couch without the siren call of an advertisement like this one:

Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in event of success.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 08:32:09 PM »
Ouch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 06:09:39 AM »
Its called humble pie and there is plenty enough for all in wind sports.

Pono your welcome. I know you will do something worthy with
the cyclone.

And yes it was cold Sunday. I took grandson hunting and we drove in on dry
roads and out in a blizzard on snow covered roads. Really scary mountain roads over 4500 ft elevation
with 1000 ft drop offs on roads barely wide enough for my truck. Going downhill
was even scarier.

But yesterday I surfed for 3 hours in nice sunny conditions. I love it here.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »
In good conditions we are all flying smoothly and gaining skills.  Lately, we keep finding ourselves in adverse conditions.  It wasn't a good sign that not only were we the only ones out at our spot yesterday, but we were the only ones out anywhere in the gorge.  Add to that those insane weeds and we knew we were in for a challenge.  Still fun though.  I just can't get enough of the feeling of flight that this sport provides.  It's the most like soaring of any of the wind/water sports I've tried.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal