Author Topic: intro & tell me what to buy!  (Read 34246 times)

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
Re: intro & tell me what to buy!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »
At 190 an 8'0"X31.5" is just fine. Yes, it will challenge you, but it's not too small. The price is silly, they must have a bunch of them gathering dust.

As far as float and comfort the 8' x 31.5" would perfectly fine for you even if you have only decent balance.
I'm riding it at 190+ in windy/choppy conditions, not spending too much time in the water. Bought the classic construction but I could swear they sent me the carbon, the damn thing is so light and it can take good beating. You'll be going back to catching waves MUCH later though, only this board is happy to turn and carve at will.

I think that either the Flow or the Creek in an 8'10 would fit nicely for what you are looking for. I am going to suggest one other option: the Blue Planet All Good at 8'8" by 31". My current quiver is an 8'7" Flow for when it is perfectly glassy, a 9' X 31.5" Tabou for when the water is really messy with current or wind, and the All Good for everything in between which is the majority of the time.

Thanks for the input folks! That's all really helpful. I just got outta the water and it was one of those humbling mornings where things aren't quite clicking... which makes me feel like I should just stick to my 9'8 Element until I have that 100% dialed in and my surf skills honed a bit more... BUUUUT I now have access to a brand new JL SF 8'6 x 32" for $974 or the same board but the carbon version and lightly used for $1150. Is the used carbon board worth the extra $175? Is it going to be stiffer and less forgiving or is the only difference the weight?
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
I’m glad you’re pushing pause on buying an 8’ board without first having an oppty to try that length.  I’m sure it would float you and be responsive, etc.  But speaking for myself, I would want to feel what an 8 foot board feels like to see if that’s for me.

As for JL signature vs carbon constructions, the only real difference is the weight, and the signature (non-carbon) is so light relative to other board manufacturers that I can’t imagine you wouldn’t be happy with it. That plus the weight savings with JL carbon over signature is not that great.  It would take on greater significance if you were comparing 14’ boards, but at the 8’5 range, less so.  I’ve had JL boards in both. And only the carbon because that was what was available, not a conscious direction.  I haven’t noticed one being stiffer, but they were different length boards, so not apples to apples. In theory if you replaced the glass cloth with the same thickness of carbon cloth, yes it would be stiffer, but JL uses thinner carbon cloth to achieve the weight savings. I’ll let others more versed in the material properties to say whether a thinner carbon application would still result in less flex over an 8’5 board.  But again, I have never heard anything but praise about how light and strong JL’s normal (non-carbon) construction is. On the other hand, if there's tax on the new and no tax on the used, reducing the price difference, the carbon may help with the re-sale value perception...you know... in case : ) 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:31:00 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
I’m glad you’re pushing pause on buying an 8’ board without first having an oppty to try that length.  I’m sure it would float you and be responsive, etc.
yeaaaa, and i know it's only 6" but in my head the jump from 8'6 to 8' feels out of my league right now

As for JL signature vs carbon constructions, the only real difference is the weight, and the signature (non-carbon) is so light relative to other board manufacturers that I can’t imagine you wouldn’t be happy with it. That plus the weight savings with JL carbon over signature is not that great.  It would take on greater significance if you were comparing 14’ boards, but at the 8’5 range, less so.  I’ve had JL boards in both. And only the carbon because that was what was available, not a conscious direction.  I haven’t noticed one being stiffer, but they were different length boards, so not apples to apples. In theory if you replaced the glass cloth with the same thickness of carbon cloth, yes it would be stiffer, but JL uses thinner carbon cloth to achieve the weight savings. I’ll let others more versed in the material properties to say whether a thinner carbon application would still result in less flex over an 8’5 board.  But again, I have never heard anything but praise about how light and strong JL’s normal (non-carbon) construction is. On the other hand, if there's tax on the new and no tax on the used, reducing the price difference, the carbon may help with the re-sale value perception...you know... in case : )
That's awesome input. Thanks so much... I emailed Jimmy to see what the weight diff is between the carbon/non and his thoughts on stiffness. I'll report back if I hear back from him. Looks like either way I'm joining the Super Frank club. Stoked.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
You will love your new board. What concerns the difference in the construction, Carbon is  not worth the extra money. Weight difference is only 1-1.5 lbs.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
Hi Slider.... welcome to the Zone and the awesomeness of SUP surfing!

Sorry for the late reply, I have spent the past few days road tripping around New England.... surfing, driving and napping  ;D

All I can advise is:
don't get all hung up on numbers, they don't tell an accurate story..... design and surf style matter more.

Some of my favorite boards are bigger, but surf far better than small ones.

What works for one, is totally wrong for another, so try to jump on anything you can borrow and see what suits you.
I simply paddle up to total strangers in the water and ask if I can try their board.
Most people are happy to show folks their board.

As Pono said, I have quite a few boards that I'd be happy to share with you.
Contact me via my email link below my name and I'll give you my phone number so we can talk about boards and SUP in general.
I surfed a spot today that was probably halfway between us, and a good spot for you to demo some boards.

I also have a few that I could sell if one of them works for you.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »
Hi Slider.... welcome to the Zone and the awesomeness of SUP surfing!
As Pono said, I have quite a few boards that I'd be happy to share with you.
Awesome! Thanks Rick... I shot you an email just now.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 06:02:58 PM »
Buy my board! Might as well give you more options: Been meaning to list an 8'8" x 31" x 4.25" 127L custom Kings Laser. It's a one of a kind board made of Innegra cloth. $$$. Very little use and only used twice by me. Just too damn small for me and always will be, unfortunately. Bought it from mister 9 lives himself- Mr. Big. He's not big at all, but big fun. Can send pics. You can demo it. I'm in RI. $1200 with new Infinity boardbag.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »
Buy my board! Might as well give you more options: Been meaning to list an 8'8" x 31" x 4.25" 127L custom Kings Laser. It's a one of a kind board made of Innegra cloth. $$$. Very little use and only used twice by me. Just too damn small for me and always will be, unfortunately. Bought it from mister 9 lives himself- Mr. Big. He's not big at all, but big fun. Can send pics. You can demo it. I'm in RI. $1200 with new Infinity boardbag.
Thanks again for the offer on this board. As we discussed offline, it's just not for me yet. I know I'll regret not buying it in about 5yrs when my skills are up to par for a board like this. I'm sure it'll sell though - this board ^^^ is dang gorgeous folks.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 08:49:29 AM »
heard back from Jimmy, the man the myth the legend himself, on the differences:
The carbon boards are slightly lighter.  Maybe a pound and a half.   Enough so when you lift it up next to a regular version, you can feel it.   The carbon versions, I doubt are any stiffer or not so much that you'd be able to feel it.   But I think they FEEL different when you ride them than the regular ones.  I've only had one carbon board and I loved it.  But I'm not sure if it was because it was carbon that I liked it so much.  The carbon versions are not stronger.   My boards are sandwich construction.   The difference in the construction of the regular and the carbon construction boards is this:  under the PVC sandwich, on the carbon versions we use a slightly lighter fiberglass.  On the OUTSIDE lamination, instead of fiberglass, we use carbon and the carbon on the outside is a lighter weight than the fiberglass that would be used for the regular construction.  So what we're doing is using LESS material for the carbon versions.  Whether that translates to a weaker board is probably negligible because sandwich construction is strong in it's own right.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »
Yeah I love how accessible and interested he is in sharing info.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »
Btw I have a JL board on order and chose the non-carbon construction.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:43:34 PM by Dusk Patrol »

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 07:43:38 PM »
Btw I have a JL board on order and chose the non-carbon construction.
Congrats! What’d ya order?

One more to consider, and I know it’s such a different beast and hard to compare... 2016 Starboard Hyper Nut 8’ x 31” 133L. its looking like it’s that or a Super Frank 8’6 x 32” 140L. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 09:02:58 PM »
A 9’8 x31.75” x 160 L Destroyer. I like cruisey boards. Or maybe cruisey surfing is what I like! This is like the Striker but with a bit more rocker. Check the Oz JL website.  It’s a new size being added to that model. It’s also got a nose like a Super Frank.
The Hyper Nut is so unusual hopefully there will be lots written about how it surfs. Interesting for sure.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:21:13 PM by Dusk Patrol »

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 10:09:41 PM »
One person's feedback. I tried a Hyper-nut during a surf trip to Mexico. I found it very slow to paddle, slow to catch waves, and slow on the wave; overall not a winner for me. I spent a couple of hours trying to make it work, and then spent the rest of the trip on other boards that worked better for me. I have surfed other boards that were similar in size, for example, my wife's 7'11" X 31 110 liter Fanatic, and it was much better in all regards. at least for me.
Of your two recent choices, I would steer you towards the Super Frank, which is a very nice board.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 03:51:35 AM »
One person's feedback. I tried a Hyper-nut during a surf trip to Mexico. I found it very slow to paddle, slow to catch waves, and slow on the wave; overall not a winner for me. I spent a couple of hours trying to make it work, and then spent the rest of the trip on other boards that worked better for me. I have surfed other boards that were similar in size, for example, my wife's 7'11" X 31 110 liter Fanatic, and it was much better in all regards. at least for me.
Of your two recent choices, I would steer you towards the Super Frank, which is a very nice board.
Thanks for the input. I’ve read so many different reviews on the Hyper Nuts, I have to assume the variable is the year and model as I think they’ve changed em so much from year to year and the size has a lot to do with it too. Do you remember the size you paddled? From the reviews I’ve read, unless you’re on the perfectly sized board for your weight and ability it can be a really unpleasant experience. But I think you’re right about the Super Frank being a better bet.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal