Author Topic: Concerts You've Been To In 2019???  (Read 6404 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Concerts You've Been To In 2019???
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »
My wife and I tend to go to a lot of concerts and this has been an exceptional year for shows. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen this many good shows in a single year. And as I’m a lover of older music and bands (mostly 50’s and 60’s rock and roll), some of these performers aren’t going to be around forever. But even though they are older, every one of the shows we’ve seen this year has been excellent. In no particular order, so far this year we’ve seen Paul McCartney; Queen (with Adam Lambert); Electric Light Orchestra; Rolling Stones; Elton John; and last night we saw Rosanne Cash. And in a couple of weeks we will see John Fogerty.

We’ve seen some of these performers before and some of them on multiple occasions. But this year stands out as we have seen them all in a condensed time period.

2019 has been a very good year for us for great shows!

So what shows have others been to this year?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Concerts You've Been To In 2019???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
Great thread!

The last three in the past year were exceptional. We tend to tilt a bit towards jazz but enjoy all genres.

Herbie Hancock  Incredible. I have been listening to Herbie for over 50 years. A true master.
Abdullah Ibrahim,  South African pianist. There is something about how he puts chords together that is heavenly. “Water from an Ancient Well” is one of my all time favourites. It transports me to another world.
Bobby Mcferrin. Wow! Accapella at it’s finest.

We are fortunate here in Vancouver to be able to attend show like these in a small acoustically superb theatre “The Chan Center” at UBC.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »
Just saw Ravi Coltrane (John Coltrane's son) a couple weeks ago with my son. The drummer Johnathan Blake is one of the hottest jazz drummers right now. He's one of my son's favorite drummers. The show was jaw dropping. We got to meet the players.
If anyone is interested in straight ahead jazz, you need to stream https://www.smallslive.com/ . It's free to sign up and stream live jazz from one of the hippest clubs in NY. I've seen some phenomenal young and old talent every night. They play till 4am. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »
I used to be such a concert freak, I guess I'm just having too much fun lately. I've got to get out more. the last concert I went to was Chris Issac at Maryhill. Before that it was Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs. Always been a fan of the Boz. Used to be able to hear him and his band at a skanky little bar in SF. I think he might have owned it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »
I'm a big fan of Boz too. In his bio Boz says his idol was Ray Charles.
I guess my most recent concert was Red Hot Chilly Peppers. It just ended 15 minutes ago. I could here it clear as day from my house:) I bet no ones ever been folding laundry while listening live to a Chilly Peppers concert ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 10:03:01 PM »
Fifty years of authenticity
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 11:07:04 PM »
We are fortunate here in Vancouver to be able to attend show like these in a small acoustically superb theatre “The Chan Center” at UBC.

Hi Bob. We were at the Chan Center last night to see Rosanne Cash. I had only been there once before when a couple of years ago I saw Judy Collins there. It's a great venue with great acoustics. We have a lot of good venues in the Greater Vancouver area, and I agree with you that the Chan Center ranks right up there with the best of them.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 03:48:07 AM »
td and frp--closet jazz listeners--love it

love ravi and john, that's for sure

and yep, herbie has been prolific

came onto herbie via frank zappa--who aside from his chops in r and r, was a brilliant jazz composer arranger

been going mostly to small medieval/early music performances--usually pure choral, some chamber

listen to musica secreta, or anything by stile antico for a taste

saw "im with her" at newport---women's folk supergroup! amazing
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 07:03:53 AM »
Last weekend we had the Sea Hear Now festival in Asbury Park.  Great line up including DMB, The Lumineers, Dropkick Murphys etc.  3 stages, two of which were right on the beach.

There were also expression sessions (surf), art exhibits and a booth with local surfboard shapers doing their thing.  Great crowds, great food!  I even got to meet Ben Gravy!

There was bike parking set up at the entrances, so we were able to ride right to the show from our friends place.  Already looking forward to next year for sure.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »
Billy Idol earlier this summer, he slayed "Eyes w/o a Face", the only song I really needed to hear him perform live, he's still got it.
But this next Thursday evening, it's going to be Peter Frampton, I've had tickets for that for 3 very long months!
If it's as great as I've been hearing, it may be the best concert I've been to in years, and that's saying something considering who I've seen in the last few years.  Just three more days, finally!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:06:45 AM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
I've been to quite a few shows in the past year.  Will be seeing Lucero here in San Diego later this month at The Music Box.
Some of the show's I've been to in the past year:
Agent Orange
Tiltwheel
Dead Boys (obviously without Stiv)
The Damned
X
Hays Carll

Just to name a few.
Mostly I go to small venue shows.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
I saw Peter Frampton play at a barbeque joint in Austin many moons ago. Great concert. The same night I saw Burning Spear and a few other super acts I don't remember the name of. Austin has more great music on a random Tuesday than most places have in a year. Got back to the hotel at 4:00 AM and had a breakfast meeting with a client at 9:00 AM with a full day of strategy meetings thereafter. Needless to say, I wasn't at my best. But we kept the client: AMD. They liked some of my ideas though they told our account supervisor that I seemed kind of low speed, high drag. She would have fired me if I didn't own the company.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »
QB,   About as close to a concert I have gotten since C,S,N in Madison Wisconsin.  ('Three Dead in Ohio' gives me shivers thinking about hearing it live...) is Queen, the movie on HBO.

I was shocked at how well that Rami Malek played that part. Never noticed Queen much back then, but 'that' was a performance.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 08:08:58 AM »
4 Dead in Ohio, Wet --  4 way street was such an excellent album

Kent State -- 4 student VietNam war protestors shot dead by nat'l guard -- tragedy.  1970.

Saw CSN&Y at Roosevelt Field NJ---the night Nixon resigned!!  1974.  Incredible show. It has been announced earlier that day that he would resign. CSNY set off fireworks from the rim of the stadium.

Neil Young is such a good guy. Try this on:  https://www.amazon.com/Special-Deluxe-Memoir-Life-Cars/dp/014751651X

it's a memoir where young reviews his life in the context of the cars he'd owned/driven during his life--he owned some amazing old soulful cars, and owns stories of a rich life--and he includes a lavely watercolor of each of his cars with the text. Very nice book. he's now married to darryl hannah, actress and longtime GF of JFKjr, before he got on carolyn bessette.....go figure

digress much?   sorry

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »
That got me singing his tune, Long May You Run "Maybe the Beach Boys have got you now, with those waves singing Caroline No, rolling down that empty ocean road, gettin' to the surf on time". 

Originally written about one of his earliest cars, a black hearse he named "Mort".

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal