Author Topic: Jibe With Foot Switch  (Read 10000 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Jibe With Foot Switch
« on: September 27, 2019, 05:25:09 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jibe With Foot Switch
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:51:01 AM »
I'll get right to work on that, check back about 2022.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 07:29:56 AM »
That’s how most people do it, including me. Although I move so slow at my age, I ricochet off the water during it.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »
Interested to hear what others are doing? I am just rotating at present as opposed to riding switch. I have been keen to find out how to change foot positions when on the fly. Great to see an example on camera! Very impressive and slick. I use a front foot strap, which I find essential. I have now made an adaptor plate to allow me to mount the foot strap transverse so that I can try riding switch with just the one strap.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:44:18 AM by supunk »

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
...I use a front foot strap, which I find essential. I have now made an adaptor plate to allow me to mount the foot strap transverse so that I can try riding switch with just the one strap.
Hi supunk, could you share a pic of your strap setup please?

Hello all!  Newbie to this forum posting. About 8 sessions into winging it, I'm foiling, reaching and upwind, struggling on the turns. Can usually get around the corner but stuff it going for switch stance (old windsurfing habit), no toeside riding experience.  So, very interested to see, learn how to move the feet.  Not sure if it's me or the foil or... but once foiling I can barely move out of my stance without "bad" things happening!  Cheers!  Rob
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:16:31 AM by RobM »
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Here's some tips for you guys trying to ride strapless or with straps. Pump the board before you do your foot switch. You'll start to get used to how much the foil will glide and keep you up without the wing. Also if you learn your center point on the board that you can ride with your feet next to each other and keep foiling, that'll help when you're shuffling your feet around. Also bring the wing above you and veer down wind. Trying to change feet while on an up wind line requires a quick motion. Heading down wind with lift from the wing will let you dance on the board of you want. It'll all just pop and you'll forget how hard it was to learn in a second as you start to work on the next trick. More you go with the flow, the easier it'll be. Set up a down winder and you'll really learn a bunch without the stress of trying to get back to where you started.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 11:59:27 AM »
Great to get some switch tips. Thanks flkiter.
Will get some pics of my setup over the weekend for you RobM.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »
It looks to me like he is taking his back foot and twisting it around to the new tack and placing it just inside his front foot.  He is getting that done in one step, weighting that front foot and pulling the old front foot back and around to become the new back foot.  He is really blurring those two steps together.  He is doing that pointing but that does seem pretty twisted up to learn with.  I am planning to try it going a bit off the wind like flkiter mentioned.  It also seems like if you can comfortably switch your feet while flying, the tack should come along from there.  Are you guys doing your foot switch on the up-cycle of a pump?  That is how I picture it.  I really want to have a flying transition before the season ends here :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:44:29 PM by Admin »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 01:47:48 PM »
Pump down, switch foot as the board wants to come up then turn. If you sup foil, you'll get on the swell with the wing and then feel the board hover. I like to switch foot to toe side and then take the ocean swell with speed so I can pump a little with it and as I slow down, I'll use the wing to keep going. You'll get that with a few tries. Helmet for sure tho, been hit a few times. At any time you're losing power, pump.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNFKZLSPuI

The only other transition I have seen at 1:18. A little slower so you can work it out :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
That's pretty slick. I've been trying a slower transition that I've almost got working since Dan Hall tipped me to it. I turn downwind and move my feet to side-by-side. I think I have them both cose to the front foot position though I'm not being very analytical at that point. I probably shuffle back with the front foot while I'm stepping forward with the back, that makes more sense. The board rises or falls a little, depending on which direction I screwed up in, but not much usually. As I finish the turn I step forward a little with the new front foot, keeping my knees bent and weight off the front foot, then step back with the back foot to the mast. Then I crash and do a general yard sale.

I guess that's sort of what FLKiter wrote about.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 04:48:41 AM »
...I use a front foot strap, which I find essential. I have now made an adaptor plate to allow me to mount the foot strap transverse so that I can try riding switch with just the one strap.
Hi supunk, could you share a pic of your strap setup please?

Hi RobM
A couple of pictures of my transverse foot strap mod which I hope will allow me to windfoil switch with just the one strap. I have offset footstrap inserts. I use a wide Dakine strap which allows me to rotate my foot to lock in place. Fingers crossed :)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:58:54 AM by supunk »

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
Thanks supunk for the pic. I was wondering how something like that may feel/work.  How do you like putting your foot straight in along the center line like that? I've looked at my front foot and it often is like that or slightly angled.  I'm also considering a 45 angled V strap like Axis has https://axisfoils.com/products/foil-board-v-front-foot-strap
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:43:07 PM by RobM »
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 10:50:36 PM »
Hi Rob. Will have to come back to you on how it works as I have not yet tried it. I have also found that when I wingfoil my feet tend to more along the centreline than when sup foiling.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 03:39:00 AM »
This is good video a newer rider learning to jibe.  He is doing the foot switch last but it is interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66CoG3KLWhs

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal