Author Topic: Scored a 5M Swing  (Read 29748 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Scored a 5M Swing
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
Pono, Admin, & Dwight - what is it about the Axis 1020 that makes it so great for wing foiling? After hearing your rave reviews I'm wondering if I should've gone with that foil setup over my Gong XXL setup...even though the Gong front wing is 2,500cm surface area while the Axis 1020 is closer to 2,000. Do you think that I would get up and flying in less wind with the Axis wing, even though it's smaller? Disclaimer - I'm about 175 lbs with all gear on. I will admit that my Gong isn't very easy to pump, but I have nothing to compare it to because it's the only foil setup I've ridden.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2019, 09:31:52 AM »
I've got a 3M and a 4M duotone. Here in the Gorge, there were plenty of days that the 3 was all I needed and a bit more, but that's the Gorge. It's always been a bit of a problem that a lot of gear gets designed in Hood River and Maui. I think its a big part of the reason that windsurfing left the beginners behind so quickly. Now that I have two fives it's like all I own is a hammer. I just want to pound nails, mostly because when the wind is right for a 5 the river doesn't look like the opening scene from "Victory at Sea".

I might be dating myself. TV show? In black and white? Class, class, Bueller? Anyone?

Now that Admin and Chan have big wings they only want 10-15 and are actively driving away from spots showing solid whitecaps. Chan gets up and foiling when I can't even feel a breeze and then rips all the way across the river. I'd need that Gong 9.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
Rasta, my only experience is GoFoil and Axis. The big M280 and even the M200 GoFoil wing will get me up with almost no speed, but if you push its upper speed limit it's very tricky to ride--wants to porpoise, pops out of the water easily. People tell me it's better with the Kai tail but that hasn't been my experience.

The Axis 1020 has less lift at the same speed but it's less draggy, so I can get up to higher speed with the same wind. The GoFoil leaps out of the water, the Axis comes up in a very controlled fashion. I can get the Axis going a lot faster than I want to go without losing control. On the rare occasions when I get the little safety guy screaming in my ear to STFU I have reached some ridiculous speeds without losing control. I'm not sure that's a benefit, but it seems like it.

It's hard to say if you'd do better with it at this point, but I think I've progressed faster having the Axis as well as the GoFoil than I would without it.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2019, 09:52:02 AM »
I weigh about 245 lbs. right now I think. It's the sad truth. I know the foil wing is the problem. I was trying out the new MONO XL wing from Delta. It's 1880cm2. Definately not enough lift but I came close a couple times. I agree and don't think the 5m Swing is the issue. I do a ton of kitefoiling with the Delta MONO wing (1500cm) and can foil in some incredibly light wind with that setup and a 12m ultralight foil kite. I have foiling foot transitions down. The whole "if you're a good kitefoiler you can wingfoil in one day" didn't hold true for me. George from Delta is my neighbor and I test lots of different foils for him. He doesn't have a massive wing yet. He will likely need to design a different fuselage to support a 2000cm + wing. This probably won't happen until this winter so I think I'm in the market for a new foil.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
Once you're up you'll be golden. And the little dance required to get up in lighter wind comes easier. I kind of automatically turn downwind and shove my feet forward as soon as I get some speed. That odd little move which is impossible to really describe gets the board partly off the water for a second and lets me start really pumping both the wing and sail. I actually got fully up on my foil on a starboard tack with just that movement. Shocked the shit out of me.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2019, 04:13:45 PM »
Hi cnski,

I am all but certain that your lift combination is just insufficient.  When you feel the correct balance of wing and foil lift everything gets much easier.  Knowing what that is going to be is the hard part :).  Consider that you are more than twice Chan's weight and she is on the same size (or larger) front foil wing than you (area wise).  I am 30% lighter than you and am using a larger foil in light wind and the same air wing. 

I think you are going to need a foil with more lift.  That alone may do it (certainly for 20-25) but you may also need more wing for the lightest days.  I don't think it is best to try to compensate for too small on one by too large on the other.  We all tried to carry a lot of wing to make up for some small water foils that we wanted to ride.  As newer riders that was just punishing.  It is way easier to get lift from a substantial (but well behaved) foil and a wing that is in its range.  I have a few smaller Axis foils and I like them all so far with enough wind but it does take noticeably more to get some flying and below a certain point it is a flat out "no".  Change to a larger wing and it is go time again.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »
My buddy took a Neil Pryde L wing and chopped it two places and stretched it. No real glassing expertise and it works insane! I rode it today. He got tired of waiting on brands to release bigger wings.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
Pono, Admin, & Dwight - what is it about the Axis 1020 that makes it so great for wing foiling? After hearing your rave reviews I'm wondering if I should've gone with that foil setup over my Gong XXL setup...even though the Gong front wing is 2,500cm surface area while the Axis 1020 is closer to 2,000. Do you think that I would get up and flying in less wind with the Axis wing, even though it's smaller? Disclaimer - I'm about 175 lbs with all gear on. I will admit that my Gong isn't very easy to pump, but I have nothing to compare it to because it's the only foil setup I've ridden.

These foils have brought what I imagined foiling would be like before I started.  I had pictured a smooth experience. Gain some speed, compress decompress a bit, and take off smoothly.  Yeah right!  We were getting bucked all over the place.  Rearing up, finding it really hard or impossible to trim.  We made progress but it was fighting us all the way.  We tried all kinds of foot positions, postures, speeds, etc.  Then we tried these foils.  They do what you think they should.  That is the best way I can put it.  They lift smoothly, trim easily and pump like you would expect.  No more flappy bird, wing pumping like a madman.  A pump or two and you are usually good.  At 175 lbs we are very close in weight.  The 1020 with a 5.0 will get you down to 10-15 MPH for sure and possibly lighter.  If Axis put out a 1120 that was 2200 sq I would buy it just to see how light it would take me.  Like Bill said, Chan, who is ~115/120 lbs can jump on my 5.0 and 1020 and go in wind that may be 6-8 MPH.  Cattle farts will get her foiling on that setup.  I would like to try that (6-8 MPH, not cattle farts) but if I were only going to have one foil at our size, no way would it be 2500.  It would be the 1020.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
No real glassing experience my dying ass. That is gorgeous carbon. If I get my wing looking that good I'm bombing the internet with it. I did some of the slicing today.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2019, 02:25:47 AM »
No real glassing experience my dying ass.

I told him how to do it. He went off and came back with that! He’s a handy guy.

BTW, got my 3.5m Swing shipping notice  ;D ;D ;D

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
Riding today with the 5m Swing.

I tested the wing leash attached to the harness line point. It was so much better like that. In the first part of the video the leash is attached to the nose.

I’m on the 1000 Axis wing.

https://youtu.be/wW-fYJvxyvw

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 04:19:21 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »
Version two of my Swing Boom. Stiffens the handles up really nicely. I might just use the stiffeners. I'm going to call them "Stiffies" continuing the proud tradition of Alan's Starfish.

I want to be able to pack the wing easily. Tubular webbing with a carbon strip inside. I bagged up a 6"X3" rectangle with ten layers of carbon and cut the strips with my bandsaw. Sewed velcro tie strips on and hot glued the ends to keep the strips from shifting. The goop on the webbing is hot glue--I did them backwards on the first try. Duh.

Stiffies in place

Boom! We be boomed.

Isn't that a pretty wing?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:48:46 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2019, 02:40:30 AM »
Riding today with the 5m Swing.

I tested the wing leash attached to the harness line point. It was so much better like that. In the first part of the video the leash is attached to the nose.

I’m on the 1000 Axis wing.

https://youtu.be/wW-fYJvxyvw

You are looking super solid on that setup!  What time of day were you out?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2019, 03:17:21 AM »
  What time of day were you out?

Noon to 4pm

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2019, 03:22:21 AM »
It does make you wonder why somebody didn’t make their handles with 6” long carbon tubes inside the webbing handles. It seems so obvious the first time you try one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal