Author Topic: Scored a 5M Swing  (Read 29744 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Scored a 5M Swing
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 02:36:00 AM »
So how does  the 5 Swing compare to the 5 Duotone? Power , do you miss the boom, or any other thoughts?

I owned a Gong XXL wing  and have an Axis S1020 , I only paddled with these foils, but the Gong is much harder to get up to speed and flying in my experience.

I do not miss the boom. I WAS a hard core boom only guy. There are advantages to handles. Lighter, better balanced wings, that can float in the air more neutrally. Plus, the wonderful smaller pack up issue. Then you’ve got automatic hand placement in the right, balanced spot every time. The two wings fly different. The Swing feeling more refined and better behaved throughout the wind range.

The Axis 1020 is a secret weapon for winging! So easy  ;D. The short fuselage pumps into the air with less skill and effort. The standard (longer) fuselage is more beginner friendly to foot placement errors.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:39:21 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2019, 02:46:46 AM »
The Axis 1020 is a secret weapon for winging! So easy  ;D

Incredible, right?  It is like an on switch for foiling.  The 920 is awesome as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
The pack up issue leads me to think I need to step it up on the way I really want to add a boom. The handles are way too floppy for me to be happy with them. If nothing else the parts I'm going to make will stiffen the handles. The entire assembly will add a few hundred grams, maybe 7 ounces for those of you that like English measure which the English don't use anymore.

I made some carbon strips yesterday that will fit inside webbing. The strips are long enough to fully tighten the wobbly handles. They will have velcro attachments sewn to them that let them tightly grip the boom. I'll also loop velcro straps through the harness attachments to further secure the boom. Pretty simple, very light, quick to attach/detach and if I decide to dispense with the boom (unlikely) I can shorten the velcro and use the adapters to just tighten up the floppy handles.

I also see a harness in my future. Lots of people have told me how unnecessary they are, and a few (basically Mark Ribkoff) tell me I should absolutely use one. Most of the people who tell me they are unnecessary weigh about the same as one of my legs. When I'm using a 4M they are using a 2M. They're supporting 100 pounds with shoulders that have never seen a scalpel. I'm supporting 235# with shoulders that have been carved more often than a Thanksgiving turkey. The harness attachment points on the F-One look to be well placed, but anyone who has ever used a harness knows tuning the location is critical to getting a neutral connection.

I agree wholeheartedly about the Axis 1020. I have the long fuselage and the standard. I use the standard after one session with the long--I couldn't pump it at all. I should have bought the short, an error I'll soon correct. I'm using the 440 tail and it feels like I could go smaller and still have plenty of control and stability. Shorter fuse might be better than smaller wing.

The GL240 GoFoil wing is equally good for stability but I've had some challenges getting it to stop turning once I get it started. Certainly not the wing's fault, but the 1020 seems to compensate better for my limited foiling skills.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:56:33 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
Pono, To stiffen the handles what about some thick rubber coated electrical wiring which would bend to match the arc of the handles  resulting in them being more rigid?  If you were to cut a slice at the end of the handle you could push the wire in and then sew up the cut. 

Far from being an engineer, and never even seen one of the Swing handles, but was wondering.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
I considered aluminum, but decided I want the rigidity of carbon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »
This Swing generates more speed, with less pull on the arms. My tracking app even agreed with me. Higher speeds recorded. While the Gong handles are more comfortable, everything else is perfection.

I don’t miss a harness either. My legs tire before my arms.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
I wanted to get a 5.0 Swing but perhaps I should wait for the 6.0

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2019, 03:05:51 AM »

For my weight that wind chart would need to shift the SIZE (M2) row to the right one full tick.  For Chan it would be at least 2 full ticks.  That is what makes these charts so tricky to put out. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2019, 03:12:23 AM »

For my weight that wind chart would need to shift the SIZE (M2) row to the right one full tick.  For Chan it would be at least 2 full ticks.  That is what makes these charts so tricky to put out.

I agree with Admin.

This may not work for everyone though. My buddy struggles to get on foil with everything. He’s going to try my 7m Gong today. I may sell it to him.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2019, 03:29:25 AM »
That looks like the chart for me--235#.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 06:40:58 AM »
Spent 3.5 hours yesterday trying to get up on foil with my 5m Swing in 20-25 mph winds to no avail. And that was after a two hour kitefoil session. Physically unable to get out of bed. But I have my credit card in hand and gonna buy a massive wing. I refuse to let this sport get the better of me!! Has anyone tried the F-One Gravity 2200cm2 foil? Is it even out yet? Considering my options...

Dwight- If your friend doesn't like the 7m and you want it gone I know a guy....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 06:43:22 AM by cnski »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2019, 07:42:06 AM »
Spent 3.5 hours yesterday trying to get up on foil with my 5m Swing in 20-25 mph winds to no avail. And that was after a two hour kitefoil session. Physically unable to get out of bed. But I have my credit card in hand and gonna buy a massive wing. I refuse to let this sport get the better of me!! Has anyone tried the F-One Gravity 2200cm2 foil? Is it even out yet? Considering my options...

Dwight- If your friend doesn't like the 7m and you want it gone I know a guy....

Hi cnski,

How heavy are you and what is your foil setup? 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
Spent 3.5 hours yesterday trying to get up on foil with my 5m Swing in 20-25 mph winds to no avail.

The foil is likely the issue, not the Swing. My buddy finally got sick and tired of struggling and waiting on the foil brand he rides for, to make a bigger wing. So he cut, glassed, and stretched one of his, to make a massive wing. At least 2500 sq cm maybe 2800 sq cm. He windsurf foiled like a hero for the first time riding it. He’s a good kite foiler, just too heavy for all the wind sports that don’t have tons of power.

So today I expect him to rip with 7m Gong and his massive home modified foil.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:47:52 AM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »
I have a trashed 1020 Axis I'm going to do the same thing with. Also plan to add a little dihedral to make it a sort of gullwing.

But yeah, cnski, likely your foil wing. I started on a GoFoil M280 and I'd still be using it if the GL240 and the Axis hadn't come along. I bought the Axis because I planned to make a whole bunch of plywood wings this summer so I could master foil downwinding and I figured the Axis fuselage was the best attachment method for that. Then I got hooked on wingfoiling and discovered the Azis 1020 works great for that.

Unless you weigh a lot more than 235# I'd say the 5M Swing isn't the problem. I've had good sessions well under 20mph as long as there are occasional gusts above 20 to get my fat ass off the water. 20-25 is gold.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:21:42 AM by PonoBill »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
I hope these companies get some heavy riders as testers for future equipment. Great seeing Kai and the grom's ripping on small boards and wings but unless we're all planning to move to Maui, we need more low wind equipment. I have a 5 swing and love it, my 4 wasp, I think I've had maybe one day where it was windy enough for me to enjoy it. If the gong 7 was designed like the swing, I'd probly be on it almost all the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal