Author Topic: Scored a 5M Swing  (Read 29741 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Scored a 5M Swing
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »

It was shocking how calm the wing is, I'm used to the Duotone squiriming around.

Yeah, my feeling too. I spent 2 days riding a friends 5m Swing. My first impression was, huh, did the wind just get more steady, or was it the wing.

In the end, I felt the Swing was like a modern windsurf sail, with a gust absorbing twisting leach. While the Ozone, was more like an older windsurf sail with tight leach, that lets you feel every gust.

Smooth won out.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
Alot of dealers have them “coming in” in the next month or so.

Yeah, that’s the problem...they’ve been telling this lie all summer. I’m not giving anyone an order without stock in hand.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 05:14:57 PM »
Yup, not a whitecap in sight. Like you and Chan today. I couldn't tell that you were up and foiing--all the wind was across the river, but from the way you were moving in what looked like dead calm you obviously were. Downright weird to see.

What an awesome feeling.  We were at Luhr Jensen around 11:30.   We started in light but steady wind.  Pretty much the same 10-15 MPH which we have been loving and it was super fun.  Then it started to gradually let up.  The lulls got so light that not only could we not foil but we were just standing nearly still in places holding the wings up.  I am guessing 4-5 MPH.  But then these tiny lifts would come through and lift us back up again.  These also seemed very light...but it was working.  What a rush.  Stronger wind is coming so we will hopefully get more tomorrow and Friday. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 05:46:28 PM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »
I flew the 5M swing wing today with Admin and Chan at Stevenson. Three raspberry wings were the only thing on the water. The parking lot was empty except for us. The wind was pretty light, but as soon as I got up and moving I was able to get on the foil--on a starboard tack!! The wing felt very stable, but my control was hampered by the wimpy handles. In a nutshell my assessment is: Love the wing, hate the handles. They really suck. The smaller Duotone wings have a nice shape and handle well, but the big 5M bags like crazy with my weight, and that makes it a bear to fly well. In a gust, it tacos a lot, and for some reason that makes it round up.

By comparison, the F-one holds it's shape, and goes where you point it. But since the handles are wobbling all over, where you point it is random.

For me the most telling point that tips me toward the F-one in large sizes is my shoulders. We did a pretty long session--went until the wind pooped out as the rain got heavier. Did I mention the rain and the cold? I tried a lot of things that are challenging for me. As the wind weakened I was up on the foil less often so the pressure on my arms and shoulders was stronger (more drag). My shoulders a fine. Two days before I went on my 5M duotone and my shoulders got toasted. Stronger wind, but still.

I'm going to add a pseudo mast and see how that works. It won't be tight to the leading edge like the Duotone is (unless I go a little crazy) but it might give me a more stable grip. I'm also tempted to add a center web to the Duotone to see if it will maintain the shape better. I'll talk to Airtime about it. The web could attach to the mast in a few places without getting in the way of grip. Absent that I might sell the 5M Duotone and committ to the F-one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:29:23 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
Here's try number one. As I said, I like the general characteristics of the F-one wing, but I hate the wimpy handles that limit control. This pseudo-boom is an experiment that might be sufficient as it is. I have a design in mind for inserts that fit tightly under the handles with Velcro attachments at each end, and probably a set of Velcro loops to connect the boom to the harness loops to pull the boom close. That would permit the wing to be deflated to minimal size. For now, this is it, and statically, in the parking lot of my shop, it feels pretty good. And yes, I know I can make a paddle blade to snap onto the shaft if/when I make it removable.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:02:28 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
I redid the boom with a t-handle in front, since I had one handy. More zip ties and a little time.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 02:03:35 PM »
I think you are messing with one of the Swings best features. Perfect Balance!

Anyway, I’m a believer in the magic low end. 12mph was the best wind today. I was pumping onto foil in that. Even pumped onto foil going the hard way. The Swing is so efficient, it’s deceiving.

Anyone got a 3.5m in the shop For Sale? Message me if you do. Don’t waste my time saying we can order you one.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »
I don't think I've messed with that, though I have more options. The handles are still where they were. I didn't go today, it was too funky in town and I didn't feel like driving. Too many geek things to do anyway, and I have to make Strogonoff for Sunday. It takes two days to get the stuff ready to assemble. Braising the short ribs and making the mushroom sauce today. But I digress.

Anyway, I played with it on the grass. It feels great. I'm still generally putting my hands where the handles are, but now they're firm. Really firm--more than what I expected. I can also grab ahead and behind of the handles, and there's some good added power there. We'll see. It's a chunk of carbon tubing from a broken paddle and some zip ties.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 04:02:05 PM »
Dwight, if you don't mind me asking, what do you weigh in order to get flying in 12mph wind on the 5M Swing?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »
Dwight, if you don't mind me asking, what do you weigh in order to get flying in 12mph wind on the 5M Swing?

187 lbs. Axis 1020 2000 sq cm wing

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 05:06:30 PM »
Thanks. The 5M Swing must be way more powerful than the 5M Duotone. I'm 170 riding a 2500cm Gong XXL wing and couldn't get flying with the 5M Duotone in under 20-22mph. Either that or I need to perfect pumping onto the foil  :D

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
Thanks. The 5M Swing must be way more powerful than the 5M Duotone. I'm 170 riding a 2500cm Gong XXL wing and couldn't get flying with the 5M Duotone in under 20-22mph. Either that or I need to perfect pumping onto the foil  :D

Duotone has power. It’s you, not the Duotone. I had a 5m Duotone.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 06:18:38 PM »
It takes time to master using lighter wind. I'm 235# and I can get up on the 5M Duotone in 15-20 by popping up on the gusts. Once you're up, you're gold until you screw up. The Duotone has plenty of grunt, it's just a little hard to keep the power from wandering around. At least it is on mine.

The best light air technique I've found so far is to head slightly upwind to get the best mix of windspeed and wing angle so you can pick up some board speed. Look for a bump, turn a little downwind to follow it and shove the board forward with your feet as you turn. Pump the board and wing hard and fast. I'm good for about ten seconds of that so if I miss I need to reset and head back upwind to gain speed. I generally get up on the second try. Once you're up, turn a little upwind to gain some power, trim the board, and pump to get some height. Then do whatever it is you're up to.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2019, 11:18:43 PM »
Duotone has power. It’s you, not the Duotone. I had a 5m Duotone.
So how does  the 5 Swing compare to the 5 Duotone? Power , do you miss the boom, or any other thoughts?

I owned a Gong XXL wing  and have an Axis S1020 , I only paddled with these foils, but the Gong is much harder to get up to speed and flying in my experience.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 01:53:36 AM »

Rasta, we are basically the same weight.  On the Swings the 20-22 MPH is well into 3.5 territory.  Steady 12 MPH is the perfect speed for the 5 (10-15).  That is requiring only minimal surface pumping and a couple in the air.  Sometimes a single compression and release cycle will lift you off in that wind.  The low end capability will have you out in super light winds.  It is an addicting part of the sport.  When you are out there you will get to test the very low end of the range.
 When it glasses off and then the smallest puff comes through you will think, "probably not, but what the hell".  When you pump for a few of those and start foiling out on some you will likely laugh out loud.  I know I did.   In wind that light is such a soft sensation.  That is when the soaring feeling is in full effect for me.  This is on the Axis 1020 with the long (standard) fuselage and 500 tail.   

I am with Dwight when it comes to adding weight, but then again, I dislike the way a boom feels on a wing so there is that. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:23:40 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal