Author Topic: Surf Doheny during Ohana Fest?  (Read 9591 times)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surf Doheny during Ohana Fest?
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:22:41 PM »
Ohana Fest (music festival) is this weekend at Doheny and wondering if anyone has surfed there during the event.  I'm going to the festival on Saturday pm, but thinking about bringing my board and paddling on Sat AM or Sunday.  Assuming it won't be that crowded as parking is no doubt going to be a mess.

Any insight is appreciated

SUP CPA

• Waikiki Status
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Doheny during Ohana Fest?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »
I have surfed Doheny during the Ohana Fest the last three years. I did not attend the Ohana Fest, just surfed in the evening as the music was happening. The biggest issue was parking. On Fridays there was still some parking in the metered lot but the regular parking was totally full. Saturday and Sunday after 1pm, forget trying to find any parking. I paddle from Baby Beach to Doheny if it's Saturday or Sunday evening. It's a little less crowded but the waves weren't a ghost town by any means.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 04:58:25 PM »
I've surfed during a number of festivals there over the past 7 or 8 years. The first few years, they left some parking for surfers with a pass. The head park ranger was a friend of mine and he'd let me park in some reserve spots. The last few times I just paddled from Baby Beach. I didn't do it last year, but I'm thinking I will this Sunday. I put a can of Modelo in my board short pocket. Crush it when I'm done and put it back in my pocket 8)

The lights from the stage and ambient harbor light allowed me to surf along the jetty till almost 9:30 pm a few years ago. I was the only one out. Catching wave after wave.   

BTW, the Dana Point free trolley bus has board racks.........
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:01:50 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »
Ohana Fest (music festival) is this weekend at Doheny and wondering if anyone has surfed there during the event.  I'm going to the festival on Saturday pm, but thinking about bringing my board and paddling on Sat AM or Sunday.  Assuming it won't be that crowded as parking is no doubt going to be a mess.

Any insight is appreciated

Early mornings are not a problem but the forecast looks poor.  Small swell plus early south winds and high tide (3ft+) makes for dismal conditions.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
Frick'n South wind!
It's not overhead to me!

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  We are staying at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Sat night so figure I could just walk down, but that wind forecast looks to be putting a damper on my plans. 

"BTW, the Dana Point free trolley bus has board racks"

Definitely did not know that!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »
UPDATE! 
I just surfed DoHo this afternoon and the wind had died down to nothing. It was a little wonky, but not bad at all. I got a ton of waves with almost no one out.
AND..... The bands where warming up, and it was super loud (perfect in fact) in the lineup. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but there is hope :)
It's not overhead to me!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:45:59 AM »
Had a similar experience last Saturday, the 1st morning of our SeaHearNow fest in Asbury Park - surfing during sound check.  Attendance climbed from about 25k in 2018 to 41k this year. 

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 06:28:48 PM »
UPDATE! 
I just surfed DoHo this afternoon and the wind had died down to nothing. It was a little wonky, but not bad at all. I got a ton of waves with almost no one out.
AND..... The bands where warming up, and it was super loud (perfect in fact) in the lineup. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but there is hope :)

Looks like it might be manageable early Sat morning.  I recommend getting out there at sunrise before the tide gets too high.   See you out there :-)

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 05:59:48 PM »
Early Saturday turned out to be really fun before the tide got too high.   Sunday morning was a total mess.   It's crazy what a little 5 knot wind in the wrong direction can do to conditions.   Beautiful morning, junky conditions.  Bummer. 

@digger: Hope you got some waves and had a good time at Ohana Fest.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal