Author Topic: Question about weights  (Read 7113 times)

John65

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Question about weights
« on: September 22, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
As I get ready to buy some equipment and have been reading a lot here and other places I notice that some people talk about how heavy these rigs are to get to the beach and back from parking lots.  I was at our kite beach the other day and picked up some different kite foils and board.  Some were quite light and others significantly heavier.

I would like to go the lighter route as I am about the age of PonoBill but not nearly as tall.  As I age I have said that “carbon fibre is my friend” and “everything has to get lighter as I age”.  I looked at a Signature 184 and it weighed in at just under 7 lbs.  I came across a description of the NP Glide Surf and it was around 10 lbs.

How low are some of your weights?  What did you have to do to get them that low?
Thanks in advance.
John

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about weights
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 09:47:53 PM »
John65, for me it is not as much about weight as it is about the mast length.

I am 5'10" and I use a 90 cm mast. I like that mast because I can ride high at times and I do not loose control.

However, having the large Slingshot Infinity 84 wing out at the end of this long mast makes it seem a lot heavier than if I had a shorter mast.

It also makes it difficult to get out of the water in shore break with both the board and wing. If you do not have shore break that would be one issue you do not have to worry about.

If I was a lot taller the longer mast might not be as big an issue because my arms could easily reach the end of the mast and the handle on the board.

I think if you can get carbon go for it, but I recommend that you not sacrifice performance for less weight. If you need a larger board for stability, and a longer mast so you don't foil out, it does make it more difficult on land, but it is worth it once on the water.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Question about weights
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 03:18:08 AM »
Light weight is nice....but a stiff mast is the single most important feature for a “SUP”

The sport has gone from 1200 sq cm wings to 2500 sq cm wings and mast designs have to kept up. They cannot handle these giant wings.....for SUP guys. Prone doesn’t count.

Unless you prefer to wobble like a drunk standing on your board and you like the feeling of a dogs tail wagging under your board.

Beware...everyone says they have a stiff mast...B.S. when you try a true stiff one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 03:21:59 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal