Author Topic: Wing window thread  (Read 26190 times)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing window thread
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 03:34:20 AM »
I really enjoy the shade on the hot sunny days. Windows? Nope.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 03:45:26 AM »
The wing isn't fixed like a windsurfing sail.  It is in an wide variety of positions.  The small windows line up with some of those positions, sometimes, but it isn't the norm.  Outside of those few positions you have to reposition he wing to get a peak through the window.  Why not just move it to another position?  It is no harder and you get a perfect view, not a window limited view.  Also, windsurfing sails have windows that are often the size of our whole wings or even full sail.  Those sails are fixed at the mastfoot so sometimes you do need to see through them and you (usually) can.  Looking through a window is just a habit.  There are many ways to get the same or better result.

In there video an F-one product manager says that they won't add windows until there are materials available that do not add weight or limit performance.  I am all for that!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:48:42 AM by Admin »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
In there video an F-one product manager says that they won't add windows until there are materials available that do not add weight or limit performance.  I am all for that!

aluula anyone? That means it's probably in the works already.
in progress...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 04:04:20 AM »
Let's hop for Aluula wings...and no windows.   :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 05:13:12 AM »
We have been riding a wind direction that sends us across a busy boat channel lately. So as I’m riding the Swing, in the harness, thoughts of a window come to mind. There is no place for a window on the Swing. The strut, and the big wide web above it, block any view a window might provide. Way down by the wing tip, is the only place a window would provide a limited view. We are stuck window-less forever on this design.

I continue to listen closely for yahoos in power boats and unhook for a peak. The concern is real in Florida, when you consider about 3 years ago a windsurfer was killed by a powerboat sailing across a channel.

Imagine the lawyers going after everyone in a fatality, including the wing ding companies.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:17:17 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »
We have been riding a wind direction that sends us across a busy boat channel lately. So as I’m riding the Swing, in the harness, thoughts of a window come to mind. There is no place for a window on the Swing. The strut, and the big wide web above it, block any view a window might provide. Way down by the wing tip, is the only place a window would provide a limited view. We are stuck window-less forever on this design.

I continue to listen closely for yahoos in power boats and unhook for a peak. The concern is real in Florida, when you consider about 3 years ago a windsurfer was killed by a powerboat sailing across a channel.

Imagine the lawyers going after everyone in a fatality, including the wing ding companies.

Thanks Dwight. I appreciate your honesty and your understanding.

I have seen so many posts on this thread dismissing the need for a window and I just don’t get it. Maybe on large bodies of water this is the case, but I’m on a small lake with a lot of boat traffic in the summer. I just can’t see myself using a Wing without a window.

But since I haven’t yet tried a Wing, all these posts about not needing a window made me wonder if maybe I really didn’t need one. It’s nice to see someone with some experience confirm what I’m thinking.

So for me, I am waiting until sometime early in the New Year before pulling the trigger and getting some gear. I was hoping F-One might come out with a Wing with a window, but from what you are saying, this seems unlikely. It looks like the Gong Wing Plus has a window, so that’s what I’ll probably end up with. 

Thanks again. Appreciate your insight.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 09:46:05 AM »
At least the F-One Swing's have really bright colors!   ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
The problem with a window is that it only works downwind, as far as I can see. I have windows on three wings and only use them headed downwind, and even then I can see better by  letting the wing fly up in front of me. The window is in the middle of the wing and much smaller than a windsurfing wing, and is rarely in a position to have value on any point of sail other than when the wing is in front of you.

Do what you like, Quick, but if you're choosing a wing based on the availability of a window I think you'd be disappointed in the utility of it. Other than Julie I haven't heard anyone who has a DuoTone that thinks it's important, and she's a downwind addict.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »
The problem with a window is that it only works downwind, as far as I can see. I have windows on three wings and only use them headed downwind, and even then I can see better by  letting the wing fly up in front of me. The window is in the middle of the wing and much smaller than a windsurfing wing, and is rarely in a position to have value on any point of sail other than when the wing is in front of you.

Do what you like, Quick, but if you're choosing a wing based on the availability of a window I think you'd be disappointed in the utility of it. Other than Julie I haven't heard anyone who has a DuoTone that thinks it's important, and she's a downwind addict.

Thanks Pono. I do appreciate it. And I really do appreciate all the opinions. But I think for my own comfort and peace of mind my first Wing will have a window. Maybe if I can get anywhere near proficient I’ll find I don’t need it any more. But I think while I’m learning I would have a much higher comfort level with a window. At least that’s what I’m thinking right now. But I've gone back and forth so much on this, who knows what I'll be thinking when I'm actually ready to purchase.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:31:19 PM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »
This summer will be the year of the window.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8qnmfSoOn-/?igshid=fn7px2ouf7sb

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 07:48:13 AM »
So for me, I am waiting until sometime early in the New Year before pulling the trigger and getting some gear. I was hoping F-One might come out with a Wing with a window, but from what you are saying, this seems unlikely. It looks like the Gong Wing Plus has a window, so that’s what I’ll probably end up with. 

I will echo what Admin & Pono have said and I think that until you actually try a wing with a window you likely won't understand why they're basically pointless. I had a Gong Plus with its 4 windows and they give you such a limited view when you're actually up and flying that I still found myself raising the whole wing above my head to get a view of boat traffic. When you're using the wing up on foil the windows never line up with where you want to see, you're either seeing sky out of the upper window or the water out of the lower window. Where you would actually want the window to be would be is right where the strut is, but of course that's not possible in an inflatable. The one wing where the windows might be helpful is the DuoTone with its thin boom (instead of a large inflatable strut) and larger windows compared to other brands. Also, the windows on the Gong Plus aren't very wide, so even if you re-positioned the wing while flying to look for boat traffic you'll have to move the wing and your head around a lot left to right to get a good solid view of any incoming boat traffic. It's easier to just raise the wing over your head for 1 second and get an unobstructed view.

For reference, I ride primarily on Lake Washington near Seattle, it's a very busy urban lake with a lot of boat traffic with people who have never driven a boat before, so boat traffic is a big concern for me. Until the windows on wings get large enough to provide a basically unobstructed view I will be raising the wing up above my head every 30 seconds or so to check for boats.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »
Airush sure looks like an Swing knockoff with windows. Insta is lit up with new wings coming.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8mLPadHt03/?igshid=1vjylpn1pj0nl

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 03:43:36 PM »
Naish looks like a copy also of F1 also. I think a lot the industry held back and now that they see mostly positive feedback from F1, they're putting their version of it out. Took so long to get the F1's so hopefully these new models will be available before 2021.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »
Seems like all the involved companies are tuning into the Wing threads on the zone.
It's the second time I've seen a company using the FreeWing moniker I proposed not too long ago here.
and now the F-One knock-offs starting to roll-in after all the raving reviews of the wing posted here.

When should we expect to see the improved semi-stiff handles ;D
in progress...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 12:51:12 AM »
Naish looks like a copy also of F1 also. I think a lot the industry held back and now that they see mostly positive feedback from F1, they're putting their version of it out. Took so long to get the F1's so hopefully these new models will be available before 2021.

Jumpin Jesus!  Look at the nasty windows on that Naish.  The lovely Raspberry F1 they sat it on looks like someone applied a Grampy's Balls filter to it.  Stretched, Grey and Wrinkly.  I am going to call these things the moon roof of Winging.  They sound nice but you never look through them.  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:52:49 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal