Author Topic: Wing window thread  (Read 26185 times)

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Wing window thread
« on: September 20, 2019, 11:24:41 PM »
Apparently our local water administrators are considering banning wings without windows.

As I see it virtually all craft with sails have blind angles, it's always the responsibility of the operator to check where he is going.

On a wing all it requires is the occasional lift of wing to check whereabouts of other downwind watercraft and obstacles. Upwind, straight ahead and 10-15deg downwind are un-obstructed.

Windows in wings serve no function whatsoever, other than adding weight and cost.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Wing window thread
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 04:20:34 AM »
Let me go drive my car now. I only need to look up from my phone occasionally

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 05:01:08 AM »
As much as I like my F-One swing and the fact it's lighter than air, there were few times I could have used a window just to feel more at ease. Trying to stay away form busy areas, but there were times boats creeped up too close.

Was never in real danger and the fact that the wing is neon yellow helps but it only takes once to get dead. If riding busy areas was unavoidable I would probably forgo some comfort and err on the side of caution.
in progress...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 08:36:04 AM »
Could kite repair shops add windows to the inflatables or is everyone about to have to ditch their year one wings?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 09:06:32 AM »
Given these wings are <30 days old in most markets with little supply, that is remarkably quick for any municipal entity to react - where are you located, Peter? 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

unclesaltdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
A window definitely wasn't a consideration when purchasing my wing but as it turned out I bought a 5mtr Duotone which of course has a window.
I had never thought much about it in my first few uses which were in marginal winds and fairly uncrowded locations.

Today however, being a weekend and being one of the first good consistent seabreezes for our season in Western Australia it was very busy on the water with both kiters and windsurfers.
Add to that the fact that you are often going at different angles with a foil (upwind and downwind) than the standard board (back and forward at 90degrees to the wind)
and I found that I was constantly looking through the window today and really appreciating the ability to keep a good eye out.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:46:18 AM »
Given these wings are <30 days old in most markets with little supply, that is remarkably quick for any municipal entity to react - where are you located, Peter? 

Jim

South Africa - local yacht club has the lease for a lake and can pretty much do as they want ie. kiting has never been allowed due to potential stress to birds, but waterski powerboats are.....

I doubt they will pull through with it, but you never know with this lot - it's being debated. Next the windsurfers will have to wear rear-view mirrors....

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
I don't know Jack about kite construction or modifying.

Wondering if its possible to have a couple small windows installed?

On my smaller kite easy to lift overhead and the area is smaller and not as much of blind spot.  But the 7m is hard to lift overhead in light winds and has a big blind spot.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
I am sure AIrtime kite repair in the Gorge can add windows to any wing
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
Yup, Airtime can do about anything. I'm reasonably sure they could build a wing given a day or two. They made me a bladder for my 4M. Took about 12 hours, but they insisted on holding it inflated for six hours to be sure there were no leaks.

Pros.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »
For anyone who is interested, I contacted F-ONE and asked them if they had any plans on making a Wing with a window. I got a response back that basically said they are looking into it, but it is still a project and they are not sure it will be on their November products.

I haven't purchased a Wing yet, but a window is a must have for me. I live on a small lake that can get a lot of boat traffic, so there is just no way I can get a Wing without a window.

Really want to get an F-ONE, but without a window, I'll be looking for a different brand.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
I found the window useful the first few weeks but now that I'm more comfortable flying I've found I don't need one.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »
Seems to me that the window , while beneficial in some ways, may be a problem down the road..sun damage, scratches and dull/hazy harder to see through ..like an aging windsurf sail.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »
The window has proven to be handy going downwind, but I wouldn't add one to gain that little bit of value. It's easy to list the wind to look, doesn't cost any effort or drop me off the foil. I have three wings with windows and one without and I don't miss it when I don't have it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
Seems like another thing that changes as you get better.

Good to know and I can totally see how a quick peek would be easy. Especially if you’re doing what people say to do which is to fly it at a 45° above you and not very like a windsurfer. If you think of that the window is probably above your head a lot of the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal