Author Topic: Wing window thread  (Read 18832 times)

Surfside

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing window thread
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 03:34:20 AM »
I really enjoy the shade on the hot sunny days. Windows? Nope.
8' Deadbeat Sunshine
8'10" Deadbeat WindowLicker
8' Slop Rocket
7'8" King's Foil
7'4" Bad Dog Foil
5'9" Mini Barge Foil

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 03:45:26 AM »
The wing isn't fixed like a windsurfing sail.  It is in an wide variety of positions.  The small windows line up with some of those positions, sometimes, but it isn't the norm.  Outside of those few positions you have to reposition he wing to get a peak through the window.  Why not just move it to another position?  It is no harder and you get a perfect view, not a window limited view.  Also, windsurfing sails have windows that are often the size of our whole wings or even full sail.  Those sails are fixed at the mastfoot so sometimes you do need to see through them and you (usually) can.  Looking through a window is just a habit.  There are many ways to get the same or better result.

In there video an F-one product manager says that they won't add windows until there are materials available that do not add weight or limit performance.  I am all for that!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:48:42 AM by Admin »

burchas

• Mill Rock
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
In there video an F-one product manager says that they won't add windows until there are materials available that do not add weight or limit performance.  I am all for that!

aluula anyone? That means it's probably in the works already.
- M15 15x27x4.5 https://bit.ly/2WmuEpt
- Ocean Ripple 16x25 @ 251L
- SIC Standamaran (S-16) - https://goo.gl/7myGAo
- Wide Tail 10x31x4 @ 149L
- SIC FX 12.6 2X - https://goo.gl/GOkSHT
- Red 2017 Elite 14x25
- ZRE Lightning 75
- Kenalu Mana 82
- Kialoa Hulu 87
- QuickBlade Trifecta 86

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 04:04:20 AM »
Let's hop for Aluula wings...and no windows.   :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 05:13:12 AM »
We have been riding a wind direction that sends us across a busy boat channel lately. So as Im riding the Swing, in the harness, thoughts of a window come to mind. There is no place for a window on the Swing. The strut, and the big wide web above it, block any view a window might provide. Way down by the wing tip, is the only place a window would provide a limited view. We are stuck window-less forever on this design.

I continue to listen closely for yahoos in power boats and unhook for a peak. The concern is real in Florida, when you consider about 3 years ago a windsurfer was killed by a powerboat sailing across a channel.

Imagine the lawyers going after everyone in a fatality, including the wing ding companies.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:17:17 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Quickbeam

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »
We have been riding a wind direction that sends us across a busy boat channel lately. So as Im riding the Swing, in the harness, thoughts of a window come to mind. There is no place for a window on the Swing. The strut, and the big wide web above it, block any view a window might provide. Way down by the wing tip, is the only place a window would provide a limited view. We are stuck window-less forever on this design.

I continue to listen closely for yahoos in power boats and unhook for a peak. The concern is real in Florida, when you consider about 3 years ago a windsurfer was killed by a powerboat sailing across a channel.

Imagine the lawyers going after everyone in a fatality, including the wing ding companies.

Thanks Dwight. I appreciate your honesty and your understanding.

I have seen so many posts on this thread dismissing the need for a window and I just dont get it. Maybe on large bodies of water this is the case, but Im on a small lake with a lot of boat traffic in the summer. I just cant see myself using a Wing without a window.

But since I havent yet tried a Wing, all these posts about not needing a window made me wonder if maybe I really didnt need one. Its nice to see someone with some experience confirm what Im thinking.

So for me, I am waiting until sometime early in the New Year before pulling the trigger and getting some gear. I was hoping F-One might come out with a Wing with a window, but from what you are saying, this seems unlikely. It looks like the Gong Wing Plus has a window, so thats what Ill probably end up with. 

Thanks again. Appreciate your insight.
ONE SUP Edge Pro 12' 6" x 22"
ONE SUP Evo 12 6 x 24
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12 6 x 26
Bark Competitor 12 6 x 29
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Red Paddle Race (Inflatable) 12 6 x 30

ZRE Power Surge ZX4, Kevlar braided shaft (75)

VB_Foil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 09:46:05 AM »
At least the F-One Swing's have really bright colors!   ;D
Im a 59 65kg rider:

Boards:
   311 32L FFB
   410 32L FSM
   511 100L FSM
Foils: Armstrong 1200, 1550, 2400
Wings: F-One Swing 3.5M and 5M

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
The problem with a window is that it only works downwind, as far as I can see. I have windows on three wings and only use them headed downwind, and even then I can see better by  letting the wing fly up in front of me. The window is in the middle of the wing and much smaller than a windsurfing wing, and is rarely in a position to have value on any point of sail other than when the wing is in front of you.

Do what you like, Quick, but if you're choosing a wing based on the availability of a window I think you'd be disappointed in the utility of it. Other than Julie I haven't heard anyone who has a DuoTone that thinks it's important, and she's a downwind addict.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »
The problem with a window is that it only works downwind, as far as I can see. I have windows on three wings and only use them headed downwind, and even then I can see better by  letting the wing fly up in front of me. The window is in the middle of the wing and much smaller than a windsurfing wing, and is rarely in a position to have value on any point of sail other than when the wing is in front of you.

Do what you like, Quick, but if you're choosing a wing based on the availability of a window I think you'd be disappointed in the utility of it. Other than Julie I haven't heard anyone who has a DuoTone that thinks it's important, and she's a downwind addict.

Thanks Pono. I do appreciate it. And I really do appreciate all the opinions. But I think for my own comfort and peace of mind my first Wing will have a window. Maybe if I can get anywhere near proficient Ill find I dont need it any more. But I think while Im learning I would have a much higher comfort level with a window. At least thats what Im thinking right now. But I've gone back and forth so much on this, who knows what I'll be thinking when I'm actually ready to purchase.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:31:19 PM by Quickbeam »
ONE SUP Edge Pro 12' 6" x 22"
ONE SUP Evo 12 6 x 24
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12 6 x 26
Bark Competitor 12 6 x 29
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Red Paddle Race (Inflatable) 12 6 x 30

ZRE Power Surge ZX4, Kevlar braided shaft (75)