Author Topic: I am a Golden God of Unix...  (Read 15688 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I am a Golden God of Unix...
« on: September 15, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
...NOT! But I did manage to get Node js, Node Red and the Mosquitto MQQT broker installed and running on a dinky Raspberry Pi server running Raspian Buster Lite. Sheesh, I feel like I gave birth or something equally strenuous. It's all working, which is fricking amazing since I don't really know what the heck I'm doing. The last time I used Unix was when I learned C and AWK back in the days of wooden computers and iron programmers. Yes, I still call it programming. Shoot me.

I'm turning LEDs on and off and dimming them all over my shop with any browser, especially my iPhone. So cool, so difficult to get going, so totally pointless. Actually not useless, this will be the foundation of my radically simplified wiring and control system in Fritz, and that's more than a little bit pointless. I'm pretty excited. Nerdgasm.

My network has slowed to a crawl with the little Raspberry Pi hogging all the bandwith, sending messages to ESP32s saying "does the light know it should be on 30%" and getting the message back "yes, it's on 30%, just like it was ten milliseconds ago."

So I got that going for me.

And yes, there isn't any useful wind in Hood river today. See what happens!?!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:47:43 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I am a Golden God of Unix...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:37:02 AM »
I remember when computers cost money. These days smartphone tech has made them ridiculously cheap and useful. You can buy a Raspberry Pi for ten bucks and turn any HDMI TV into a hi-res, fully capable computer. Keyboards and mice are fundamentally free unless you insist on something shiny. At the other end of the spectrum the most capable gamer computer has the fundamental specifications of a supercomputer and could, in fact, be used as one.

We're all cyborgs, the smartphone in our pockets connects us 24/7 to all the knowledge and experiences of the world. The only limitation is the low bandwidth of the I/O. How far away are we from direct connection? How far then from uploading a backup? Immortality probably isn't freezing heads, it's probably an upload to AWS.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
sparkstation bot at inception of my business in 1996--w/ a 17 in crt monitor--running solaris unix--$12K---windows NT changed the world for me back then--great OS--made all that sun equipment irrelevant---java!!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »
We're all cyborgs, the smartphone in our pockets connects us 24/7 to all the knowledge and experiences of the world. The only limitation is the low bandwidth of the I/O. How far away are we from direct connection? How far then from uploading a backup? Immortality probably isn't freezing heads, it's probably an upload to AWS.

And if it could happen, why would we assume that it hasn't already happened?  Did I just write that in your simulation or did you just post in mine?  Or is this is a multi player deal? 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »
...it's probably an upload to AWS.

Would rather see you let AWS native IOT deal with that pain and use that precious time to revive your water tank project :D
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 11:35:31 AM »

Would rather see you let AWS native IOT deal with that pain and use that precious time to revive your water tank project :D

Unfortunately it requires a consistent internet connection, all the system I'm playing with needs is a functioning router, the internet connection is optional. Locally hosted.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »

Unfortunately it requires a consistent internet connection, all the system I'm playing with needs is a functioning router, the internet connection is optional. Locally hosted.

Isn't that a lot to ask from Fritz? BTW, if you build it around a freeRTOS microcontroller you won't have to rely on consistent internet connection for most functions.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »
I'm using ESP32 microcontrollers for the receivers (topic subscribers in MQTT-speak). The idea is to have multiple control points and fail gracefully, from iphone to control panel to local switch. FreeTOS is interesting, but I've headed down this path. Each microcontroller can manage a lot of stuff, and I'm writing local code for the more complex control systems. The air bag rear suspension for example controls ride height but also automatically levels when the coach is parked. The code for that runs on the local ESP32 and just reports status in most cases. As soon as the engine is started it moves to ride height on both sides.

If I'm gonna automate it, it should be automatic. It just reports state, though it can also be directly controlled from the dash, from a browser, or from local pushbuttons that talk to the controller.

The original GMC motor homes actually had a complex analog system to most of the same things. More directly controlled, but pretty cool stuff. And huge--about the side of a small generator

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
That’s geekery at its best but makes me wonder how pessimistic are you about wind forecast if you think you can finish it before you ship back to Maui? unless of course you have Fritz replica on the island ( which I wouldn’t put past you) :)
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »
Maui is where I'll build most of the electronics.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM