Author Topic: Wing specific boards  (Read 87515 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing specific boards
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:00 AM »
Except for traveling or space issues (which may be very important to some), I don't get the appeal of inflatables.  They seem heavier, lack handles and back foot straps, lack some rigidity compared to a solid board, are probably a lot of work to pump to a firm pressure and there is always a small chance of deflation while you are out there.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2020, 06:03:01 AM »
Aside from the specifics, I think Patrice does a spectacularly good marketing job.  He not only has great personal athletic and shaping skills, but he also presents a neutrality that allows him to explain his concept and products without needing to talk fast or down as if he is 'selling' something. I even turn the sound up to listen for inflection. I understand a few words, but mostly tone.  He's also smart enough to not focus much on travel.  It seems a great idea, but...' until a vaccine. 

Given I have pretty much always had some sort of quiver, whether in boards or power tools, this looks like it would make a great addition. I like the 'soft crash' idea the most. I like the thought of 'pumping it up' the least. I just might have to add a little tugboat to the fleet.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2020, 12:23:52 AM »
Speaking of wing boards ideal for travel, we might end up seeing a “split” solid Wing board similar to the split kiteboards that have been out for awhile. Another cool idea would be something like split board that’s 60 liters in the split mode and say 90 liters in the combined mode (with an add-on nose adapter). A two in one board quiver ;).
Got an old SS golf bag for years... I’m 50/50 on getting away with it.

About the same here. I’m assuming I can stuff my 5’1” FSM board into the same bag my (very old) 4’10” kitefoil board would easily fit into.....haven’t tried it yet, since air travel seems to be on hold for now....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:27:17 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2020, 01:53:47 AM »
Speaking of wing boards ideal for travel, we might end up seeing a “split” solid Wing board similar to the split kiteboards that have been out for awhile.

Saw this on FB yesterday:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:56:18 AM by Admin »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2020, 06:59:41 AM »
That's a Carbon Compact construction. Very convenient but adds few more pounds to the board.
in progress...

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2020, 08:48:07 AM »
My next board is a custom Camet.  4-8 by 25 inches, 77 L for my 70 kg, beginner/intermediate skills.  Hope I didn't go too short :-\.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
It looks a sharp little charger...  You'll be 'Phils with skills' in short order.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2020, 09:46:05 AM »
Definitely an aspirational  choice

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »

My thought was that you could do a full rigid insert which would contain the mast track, handles , deck pad, plugs and footstrap inserts.  Any construction would work.  It would probably need to be 30 inches long or so.  It could have concave sides to accept the inflatable donut by a simple pressure fit.  That would allow for the same insert to be used on multiple donuts, so you could have a variety of sizes for conditions or even sports and the donuts would be simple and inexpensive.

Yes, plus 1!
There are a bunch of different shapes and volumes I want to try and it cost a fortune to do this with hard boards. 

I can't see myself riding an inflatable as a daily driver but great for experimenting and as loaner boards or getting kids into this.  Also the gong dagger track seems to solve problems for the first sessions.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2020, 08:37:22 PM »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2020, 12:01:04 AM »

My thought was that you could do a full rigid insert which would contain the mast track, handles , deck pad, plugs and footstrap inserts.  Any construction would work.  It would probably need to be 30 inches long or so.  It could have concave sides to accept the inflatable donut by a simple pressure fit.  That would allow for the same insert to be used on multiple donuts, so you could have a variety of sizes for conditions or even sports and the donuts would be simple and inexpensive.

Yes, plus 1!

Was thinking the same, based around my 34 litre foil surf board. Modular system where you can add volume to suit...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2020, 04:19:30 AM »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2020, 05:34:01 PM »

Something like this should do :)  The basic concept is there but it would be much better with a wider insert so that you could stand entirely on the rigid portion. 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:38:47 PM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal