Author Topic: Wing specific boards  (Read 87519 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Wing specific boards
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
It looks like Gong did a great job with this.  The concept is terrific and this looks like a great execution.  We had mind-vented this in this Zone thread https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35646.msg410908.html#msg410908 but had determined that it basically already existed in a number of forms.  I wonder what elements Gong is looking to patent.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2020, 02:57:04 PM »
I think they patent the plate mounting design. I don’t think anyone has done it that nice

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
I think they patent the plate mounting design. I don’t think anyone has done it that nice

That is quite possible.  It does look really clean.  I am stoked to see them working on it.

The video mentions I-carbon.  I wonder if that refers to an I-beam design.  That is what I had envisioned.  I can't tell if they are doing a rigid plate on the deck and if so have they connected the deck plate to the base plate for a true I beam design.  Possibly they only did a patch over the carbon base plate to secure it.  That may be rigid enough but it does seem like it would leave room for some really stiff alternate designs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:42:14 PM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »
Very slick. The front of the carbon insert looks to be several inches thick (frame .09), that essentially makes it like a wakeboard with an inflated overlay for flotation and standing stability. I can't see exactly how the straps attach, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a firm connection between the front standing area and the plate.

OK, no, I paged through the video a frame at a time. The fold happens right at the front of the white plate cover, the rear attachment point for the straps is just forwards of that, so I'd guess no rigid connection to the top deck.

Look at frame 0.16 to see the positioning.

The least expensive way to do an inflatable is to use single thickness drop stitch fabric. The front end of the plate is much thicker than the track area. I wonder how they accommodated that in the fabric. It may actually be variable thickness drop stitch.

I want one. I don't know why, but i do.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:09:59 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
Looks like a number of different sizes are planned (40-200 liters from their website).
They appear to be using a 5'3" x 27 9/16" 110 liter version... I might even be willing to 'pre-order'.

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2020, 12:54:49 AM »
Finally a decent inflatable!!!  The only problem I see is if it folds in half it still might not be small enough to be under the 62” baggage limitation which would defeat the purpose of having an inflatable imho. I travel a lot so beating the $150 each way charge would pay for itself within a few trips.  64”/2=32”+28”width=60” then add thickness of bag and it’s likely just over 62”...maybe one size smaller?

Looks like they used the 100cm sold carbon mast with it and seems pretty stiff...nicely done gong! Now maybe the shipping will be affordable...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2020, 01:12:54 AM »
Naish have a couple of inflatable Hover foil boards due out in a couple of weeks.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2020, 03:26:16 AM »
Finally a decent inflatable!!!  The only problem I see is if it folds in half it still might not be small enough to be under the 62” baggage limitation which would defeat the purpose of having an inflatable imho. I travel a lot so beating the $150 each way charge would pay for itself within a few trips.  64”/2=32”+28”width=60” then add thickness of bag and it’s likely just over 62”...maybe one size smaller?

Looks like they used the 100cm sold carbon mast with it and seems pretty stiff...nicely done gong! Now maybe the shipping will be affordable...

Doesn’t apply to Golf Bags. Get one.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2020, 04:10:49 AM »
Naish have a couple of inflatable Hover foil boards due out in a couple of weeks.

Oooh!  New segment heating up.  It will be cool to know the details of how they have each gone about this.  What they are doing inside the board and how they are keeping rigidity from base to deck?  There is a real opportunity here to do that incredibly well.  It seems like a permanently attached variation on the (existing) carbon foil mount design in itself might be a strong start but may not be ideal https://foilmount.com/products/foilmount-3-0-carbon.

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2020, 08:20:03 AM »

Doesn’t apply to Golf Bags. Get one.

Got an old SS golf bag for years... I’m 50/50 on getting away with it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2020, 08:45:41 AM »
I don't quite understand that picture. the stick-on carbon foilmount being pictured doesn't have that thingy on the bottom--which looks like a mast box.

It does, however, make me think that the ideal foiling inflatable would be like a donut encircling a carbon core structure. For that matter that would be ideal for hardboards as well. The standing spread of our feet on a foil board is about 24 inches, and our back foot is directly over the mast. A core carbon piece that's 12" X 24" on the deck and mast track length and width on the bottom would make the construction of the rest of the board non-structural as far as supporting the rider and foil.

Making such a structure in one piece would be a bitch, but simple as a two-piece part that gets bolted together. That would simplify the rest of the structure as well. You could even unbolt the parts and swap to another board or or roll up the inflatable donut for a stowed size somewhere close to 12" X 24". A simple adapter plate would enable any thickness.

The stick-on plate guys might have a head start on a universal part like this--if they see where it could go..

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: June 05, 2020, 09:04:27 AM »
That is just a part they are using to elevate and display the plate. 

It looks like Gong has done a similar plate but a bit wider and with about twice the length to spread the load a bit.  That is great and should reduce some of the distortion.

My thought was that you could do a full rigid insert which would contain the mast track, handles , deck pad, plugs and footstrap inserts.  Any construction would work.  It would probably need to be 30 inches long or so.  It could have concave sides to accept the inflatable donut by a simple pressure fit.  That would allow for the same insert to be used on multiple donuts, so you could have a variety of sizes for conditions or even sports and the donuts would be simple and inexpensive.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »
We are thinking of the same kind of part, and I agree, it doesn't have to be carbon though that would be lightest for similar rigidity, and probably the least expensive for short runs though molded polycarbonate would be cheaper in long runs. About 30 inches long would be right for included footstrap mounts, shorter if only the rear mounts are included. The upper plank would have to be wider for both mounts, but could be more like 6" wide if it's only rear mounts. I'm going to buy one of the stick on mounts and use it as the basis for making one of these. Not for an inflatable, but for a hard board. I love the idea of bolting a rigid foiling structure into a simpler closed cell body. Its the equivalent of Beasho's and Sam Pae's simplified foil boards made from busted foamies or boogie boards.

Companies like Wavestorm could pop these out like Twinkies.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2020, 04:42:21 AM »
Yup.  As long as the surround is light, connects firmly to the insert and does not flop around you have a winner.  This could be expanded into some seriously cool products that offer a ton of modularity. 

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2020, 03:04:17 AM »
https://youtu.be/1XNCGjkBqJI

25 mins of details!

Edit - well, 22 mins, with some action footage...  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:12:40 AM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal