Author Topic: Wing specific boards  (Read 87331 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing specific boards
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2020, 03:28:22 PM »
Man, I want to make the trip down from SE/VA to session with you guys when this whole lockdown eases up!
Yeah, looking forward to the visitor ban being lifted.  Hopefully towards the end of May. Ocean should be warming up by then as well

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2020, 07:26:42 AM »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »
Double channel bottom board -- different strokes for different folks.

Sure looks like a lot of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQNMJCROek

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2020, 09:08:26 AM »
Cool video, I would love to jump like that. Zane is a great guy but he's the last person I'd use as an indication of what is usable or doable for humans. His standup surfboards wouldn't support a 70-pound kid--they look like standard shortboards for the most part. Inspirational? Absolutely. Usable information about what works? Only if you're in that tiny group of people that grew up on a wave.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
That double channel makes for a great bottom handle

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
I’m sorta guessing this means Groove (based in Italy) is now producing wing foiling boards (maybe SUP as well). No discussion to go with the pic’s and nothing new on the website. They are well known for quality recreational/race kite foil boards and generally sell direct to customers. I’m assuming people outside of kite foiling have never heard of them.
(I’ve had a Groove Skate kite foil board for a couple of seasons now)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2020, 10:52:53 AM »
Yup, Groove makes nice boards but they need to put a handle on the bottom.  To me, it is a must for any wing boards I consider in the future.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2020, 02:50:23 PM »
I hope Groove is making those stronger than their kitefoil boards. There were some issues with the standard skate. I broke one in half :-/

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2020, 12:18:40 AM »
I hope Groove is making those stronger than their kitefoil boards. There were some issues with the standard skate. I broke one in half :-/
Never had the slightest issue with my Skate including numerous high speed abrupt groundings. Oh well. I wouldn’t expect a Groove wing board to be bomb proof heavy and I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap. We’ll see.

Speaking of smaller wing specific boards, this was a recent review link from Wingsurfmag posted in Wingsurf Group on Facebook;

[Let’s start with the Lemon Pro 4’8’’. The board is very light, even lighter than the Fanatic Sky Wing 4’8’’. The Lemon Pro 4’8’’ has a volume of 70 Liters and allows knee waterstarts. Overall, it is a super user friendly hyper fun yet performing board that requires less skill than the Fanatic Sky Wing 4’8’’.]

Bottom line: The Lemon had 15 more liters than the 55 liter Sky Wing, so easier knee starting, and was still lighter than the Sky Wing. They liked the Fanatic but you can tell their favorite. Of course durability wasn’t really discussed.  Always a balance between performance, ease of use, bomb-proof,...and cost.  Might have to try and talk DW into building me a 4’8”, 70L Innegra board with foot strap inserts (so I can torture my knees trying to jump.......) later this season :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:39:22 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2020, 04:03:06 AM »
The Sky Wing 4'8 is probably going to be for a very different rider than the Lemon 4'8.  22 inches wide vs 27 on the smallest Lemon.  15 less liters as well.  The Fanatics are not the lightest option.  It would be great to have them be lighter (that could only help) but if the strength is there (it seems to be, but time will tell) they feel as expected.  We lost significant weight from our old boards so they are light to us and they are very nimble in use. 

It would also be great to see Fanatic expand the Sky Wing line (or separate it into 2 lines, which it really is)  and add 2 more sizes above the 5'4.  A 5'8 x 27 and a 5'10 x 28 would be really well received.  Those are still nice, compact dimensions and would be great additions. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:05:51 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2020, 07:17:11 AM »
The Sky Wing 4'8 is probably going to be for a very different rider than the Lemon 4'8.  22 inches wide vs 27 on the smallest Lemon.  15 less liters as well.  The Fanatics are not the lightest option.  It would be great to have them be lighter (that could only help) but if the strength is there (it seems to be, but time will tell) they feel as expected.  We lost significant weight from our old boards so they are light to us and they are very nimble in use. 

It would also be great to see Fanatic expand the Sky Wing line (or separate it into 2 lines, which it really is)  and add 2 more sizes above the 5'4.  A 5'8 x 27 and a 5'10 x 28 would be really well received.  Those are still nice, compact dimensions and would be great additions.
Completely agree. Durability is a big factor. How all these boards hold up getting pounded in big surf or handle jumps from a 110 kg rider remains to be seen. I don’t fault Fanatic at all for being a bit conservative. Same goes for hand wings and foils. Tried to pretend I could ride my 4m Duotone just now in these winds. Not fun. Heck, it took everything I could muster to rig gear without the wind launching it into hard objects......Quitting while I’m ahead and anxiously awaiting delivery of a 3.3m Echo......
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:24:58 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2020, 07:49:20 AM »
The Lemon choosing to go wider, to recover lost volume from being shorter, is something I debated a lot.

When I was winging on a SUP in the early days. The two big drawbacks were rails hitting from width, and nose weight when pumping.

I decided rails kissing the water bothered me the most. Heeling it over upwinding, going rail to rail in waves, tail corners kissing in turns.

So I picked my width, then reduced length as much as possible. Ultimately it landed me with a length that doesn’t nose in and submarine during kook moments.

It’s fun to see where everyone goes with wing board sizing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:51:25 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2020, 08:04:45 AM »
The Gong boards are definitely on the wide end of the spectrum (for given volume) but the current trend may be in that direction.  FOne recently came out with V2 of their wing specific board.  The best I can tell, nothing has changed except for different sizes from V1 with more width/volume.  The width will help beginners kneel start a smaller volume board but I think there is definitely a penalty to pay once on foil.  In addition to hitting the water more, I find wider boards harder to maneuver and harder to ride toeside.  We naturally associate swing weight with length but I think width also matters quite a bit.  (maybe as much as length)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2020, 09:39:56 PM »
The Lemon choosing to go wider, to recover lost volume from being shorter, is something I debated a lot.

When I was winging on a SUP in the early days. The two big drawbacks were rails hitting from width, and nose weight when pumping.

I decided rails kissing the water bothered me the most. Heeling it over upwinding, going rail to rail in waves, tail corners kissing in turns.

So I picked my width, then reduced length as much as possible. Ultimately it landed me with a length that doesn’t nose in and submarine during kook moments.

It’s fun to see where everyone goes with wing board sizing.

I’ve read enough of Patrice’s posts to know that he definitely favors easy knee start boards (even for advanced riders), and compensates for all that easy-knee-start-extra-width with a seriously long Carbon mast (100 cm) which he also promotes to advanced riders. It’s what he rides all the time. No worry of rails catching the water when your riding fairly high on 100 cm mast.  He won’t even produce a carbon mast in the 80-90 cm range, just a 70 cm that you will almost never see any Gong riders using. That 100 cm mast promotion to go with those wide Lemon’s is definitely a bit unconventional, but it’s sorta hard to fault a guy who isn’t 25 yrs old and still rides 100 times better than most mere mortals ever will.

He also thinks water start boards are way beyond average rider skills/stamina, are worthless in lighter winds,  and even the body weight (in kg) minus ~10-15 L rule of thumb isn’t always worth the extra hassle. I notice more and more riders saying that as well.  Even with plenty of wind, thinking someone’s gonna advance to doing windsurf style water starts like Alan Cadiz while taking 20+ sessions just to figure out flying foot switching does make me chuckle a bit....

Kinda reminds me of the tiny high wind windsurf board I barely ever used and the silly little 110 cm Hannah Crew twin tip board I briefly had in the early kiteboarding days......
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:59:10 PM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2020, 03:11:44 AM »
Given the choice I would go longer before wider to add stability.  I am actually really liking the 26 inch width on my new board.  In a lot of ways that (narrower for me) width is actually making it easier while getting started.  Now that I basically know the width that I need my knees or my feet at while trying a start, it is helpful to be able to edge in a bit.  The missing length is a little harder.  Even with a relatively flat base, my board is very pitch sensitive. When I blow it it is almost always because I am too forward.  That is not pretty.

On the Sky Wings it feels like there is very little weight in the nose.  With the bamboo, two handles, foil tracks, footstrap inserts, hardware, plugs, pad, kick and arch bar being towards the tail, the nose has nothing going on and is very light.  I would have been open to a 5'6 or a 5'8 in this same concept if it were available.  That is what I was originally thought I was looking for.  I am stoked now that I have this, though :).

I completely agree that going too small on a wing specific kneestart board is more frustration that it is worth.  On the other hand, if the difference between our SUP foilboards and our Sky Wings is any indicator then the jump from these boards to 7-8 lb, 4'ish waterstart boards should be epic.  I am down for the pain of learning.  It doesn't have to be an everyday thing.  We have amazing boards for that now.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:25:10 AM by Admin »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM