Author Topic: Wing specific boards  (Read 88007 times)

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing specific boards
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »
Those Fanatics look great! I want a two pack: one for how hard I wish it was blowing and the light wind machine.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2020, 02:24:20 AM »
Those Fanatics look great! I want a two pack: one for how hard I wish it was blowing and the light wind machine.

I called our local dealer and these are in COVIDK status.  2-3 months...but...

I would be stoked to see them add some larger sizes in this design.  A packed 5'8 or 5'10 at 27 or 28 wide would be a great addition.  I still think that 110-120 liters will be a very valuable size for a lot of riders.  Still small enough for a hatchback.  It looks like Fanatic is suggesting their SUP designs for larger sizes but those now have a really significant tail chop. 

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »
Admin, what do you think about the design of the new Fanatic Sky Wing board?

Wow!  I am not even seeing those on the Fanatic site yet.  Please link me if they are there.  I googled and found the video (posted today).  That is pretty close to what I was thinking about.  high volume, broad, no chop tail.  Broad nose.
 Still has some bevel to the rails but much less and it looks good to me.  It looks like they carried a lot of volume to the rails.  I like the idea of the flatter rocker they mention on the 5'4 but even the two smaller sizes look like modest rocker compared to many.  Also, they exactly matched my hopes for footstrap inserts. 

I am not thrilled with the deep concave deck (personal thing).  I also owned a larger Fanatic SKY foil board last year and the durability was really poor.  It had eggshell outer that fractured from really minor stuff.  I hope they have improved that a lot.  Even with those things I think these look really good.  I could see us getting all 3. 

Curious Admin about build quality as. I had a 8’10” allwave sup 5 yrs so ago and that was pretty well made,actually transformed it myself to one of my first supfoil boards years ago but was to big and heavy!perhaps the BQ has gone south in past few years? Did the box tracks hold up as that would definitely be a concern for me,as it’s paramount that boxes be installed properly or your just pissing money away!Ive been interested in a sky supfoil dual purpose for wave supfoiling and winging too but thinking twice now hearing that, my friend bought a bigger AW at same time as me and he had issues too so kinda on the fence here,Like the new fanatic wing  specific boards too but agree they need a little bigger model especially for us heavyweights like myself be great if they added one more size up on there options,maybe they changed build factory locations and BQ has gone down? Any other riders up in the gorge area that you know who ride fanatics too? Think there would be quite a few of them up there between windsurfing,DW foiling etc get a few other opinions of there BQ of late.another concern is fanatics weight seems they have not been more diligent in trying to keep there weights down as we know is so important in foiling nowadays,certainly another concern of mine
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2020, 09:35:51 AM »
Hey Paddlur,

Yes, we have owned Fanatic windsurf boards over many years and they had all been great.  This board was a 2019 SKY SUP and it had a really light construction.  In just a few weeks of use it had 4 fingertip sized shell cracks that went through to foam.  They were all from different occasions.  In my opinion it was just underbuilt.  I saw the 2020's and it looked like they had already changed construction so I am hopeful that this has been corrected. 

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2020, 09:48:57 AM »
Yes Admin i looked at the new Sky Wing and i was imaging it was matching with some of your favourite features.
i also have a sky sup model since 7 months now but i have no cracks and i'm quite happy with the construction but i really wish those new ones are much lighter!
i'm waiting my Sky Wing and i will let you know my thoughts about it.

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
110 to 120 liters would be a useful size for many people. Perhaps it just doesn’t scale up that long due to the foil tracks being set so close to the tail? Of course, I don’t know jack about foil board design, but I one of the things I like about this design is that you can stand right on the tail block as opposed to a foot forward like most sup foilboards. When your back foot is right on the leash plug, even with a 5’8” you have a lot of board in front of you so I am guessing that it makes it difficult to balance the distribution of volume in the board once you hit a certain length.

I really like the look of those boards and it is nice to have something fun to think about these days. Also, I have no idea what the construction is on the Sky Wing boards but I have a 2017 fanatic in the Ltd construction and have had no problems with it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2020, 04:13:09 AM »
I noticed on Slingshot boards like the Outwit the Admin mentioned, the front comes to a point and also gets a lot thinner. So they are adding to the length, but because it comes to a point and is thinner it does not create as much swing weight I assume and probably behaves like a shorter board than the actual length.

With the Slingshot Airstrike you could take over 2 feet off the length and still have most of the usable part of the board.

As we design wing specific boards in this thread I am wondering the pros and cons of the pointed front end extending the board length vs. chopping it off similar to the Kalama board.

Hi SupKailua,

I pulled our trusty Slingshot Outwits from our travel bag yesterday and did a little measuring.  We have loved these boards (and will likely be riding them for most of this year as well if CV keeps supply down) but they were designed for SUP and I do think there could be a lot of trimming done for winging. 

The boards are 5'10 x 25 and 6'6 x 29.5.  These both have very significant rail bevels.  The flat base width on the 5'10 is 19 inches at its widest.  The flat base width on the 6'6 is 22 inches at its widest. The tail chop on the 5'10 is 7 inches long.  It is 8.5 on the 6'6.  This is a more subtle angle than on many boards so not as much tail volume is lost.  Both boards lose about 6 inches of of their max width a foot off of the nose and tail.  The 6'6 also has a very pronounced ski tip flip up at the nose.  This doesn't typically make contact with the water.  The 5'10 has a much flatter nose. 

There is a lot about these boards that works really well for winging.  The flat rocker from just behind the track to in front of the front foot position is awesome.  It is super stable fore/aft and it allows really quick surface cruising with virtually no plowing. 

I would love to see Slingshot do a chopped tail, wide flat spot, no nose version of the Outwit.  Call it the Dipshit.  I will be be the first buyer.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:15:09 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2020, 05:48:25 AM »
Another shot of the Horue.  It is like we are slowly whittling down to just the essential core of the board.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:52:12 AM by Admin »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2020, 04:21:46 PM »
I noticed on Slingshot boards like the Outwit the Admin mentioned, the front comes to a point and also gets a lot thinner. So they are adding to the length, but because it comes to a point and is thinner it does not create as much swing weight I assume and probably behaves like a shorter board than the actual length.

With the Slingshot Airstrike you could take over 2 feet off the length and still have most of the usable part of the board.

As we design wing specific boards in this thread I am wondering the pros and cons of the pointed front end extending the board length vs. chopping it off similar to the Kalama board.

Hi SupKailua,

I pulled our trusty Slingshot Outwits from our travel bag yesterday and did a little measuring.  We have loved these boards (and will likely be riding them for most of this year as well if CV keeps supply down) but they were designed for SUP and I do think there could be a lot of trimming done for winging. 

The boards are 5'10 x 25 and 6'6 x 29.5.  These both have very significant rail bevels.  The flat base width on the 5'10 is 19 inches at its widest.  The flat base width on the 6'6 is 22 inches at its widest. The tail chop on the 5'10 is 7 inches long.  It is 8.5 on the 6'6.  This is a more subtle angle than on many boards so not as much tail volume is lost.  Both boards lose about 6 inches of of their max width a foot off of the nose and tail.  The 6'6 also has a very pronounced ski tip flip up at the nose.  This doesn't typically make contact with the water.  The 5'10 has a much flatter nose. 

There is a lot about these boards that works really well for winging.  The flat rocker from just behind the track to in front of the front foot position is awesome.  It is super stable fore/aft and it allows really quick surface cruising with virtually no plowing. 

I would love to see Slingshot do a chopped tail, wide flat spot, no nose version of the Outwit.  Call it the Dipshit.  I will be be the first buyer.

Admin, I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying your Slingshot Outwits. Especially since I bought the board on your recommendation  ;D  ;D

Am really looking forward to getting it wet one of these days.

And thanks again for the recommendation. It helped me a lot.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2020, 04:45:05 AM »
Admin, I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying your Slingshot Outwits. Especially since I bought the board on your recommendation  ;D  ;D

Am really looking forward to getting it wet one of these days.

And thanks again for the recommendation. It helped me a lot.

It is a great board and I am stoked for you.  It will be dialed for your condition.  Yes, the next wave of wing specific boards will likely one-up what we are riding today but the key there is riding today.  I haven't yet seen any production boards that are available that have made me want to make a move yet. 

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »
Hey Paddlur,

Yes, we have owned Fanatic windsurf boards over many years and they had all been great.  This board was a 2019 SKY SUP and it had a really light construction.  In just a few weeks of use it had 4 fingertip sized shell cracks that went through to foam.  They were all from different occasions.  In my opinion it was just underbuilt.  I saw the 2020's and it looked like they had already changed construction so I am hopeful that this has been corrected.
Admin:  The 2019 Fanatic Sky SUP were cnc and vacuum bagged at Cobra, since we knew they would have to be changed quickly we didn't invest in molds at Cobra.  The new 2020 boards are Cobra Molded boards, and I would say 2x's stronger and more impervious to dings than the 2019 models.  Anyone who knows the biz, which you do:),  can appreciate the build quality of a Cobra molded board.  Also much more expensive because each size is made using 2 molds, one for the foam inside and one for the overall.  The new 2021 Sky Wing boards are made in China at the same factory as the Duotone directional kiteboards.  They are super light and built pretty damn tough. Tripple vacuum-bagged from what I have heard. I have only ridden the preproduction models and I loved the 5.0 at 75 liters.  I still have trouble getting going about 15% of the time but I am starting to figure it out and what works for me and my sensitive knees. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2020, 02:10:34 AM »
Hey Paddlur,

Admin:  The 2019 Fanatic Sky SUP were cnc and vacuum bagged at Cobra, since we knew they would have to be changed quickly we didn't invest in molds at Cobra.  The new 2020 boards are Cobra Molded boards, and I would say 2x's stronger and more impervious to dings than the 2019 models.  Anyone who knows the biz, which you do:),  can appreciate the build quality of a Cobra molded board.  Also much more expensive because each size is made using 2 molds, one for the foam inside and one for the overall.  The new 2021 Sky Wing boards are made in China at the same factory as the Duotone directional kiteboards.  They are super light and built pretty damn tough. Tripple vacuum-bagged from what I have heard. I have only ridden the preproduction models and I loved the 5.0 at 75 liters.  I still have trouble getting going about 15% of the time but I am starting to figure it out and what works for me and my sensitive knees.

That is excellent to hear, River.  The new boards look amazing.  Great that you can make the 5.0 work.  I am hopeful that the 5'4 will be big enough. 

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2020, 03:07:46 AM »
river,
i checked the new sky wing review online and i see they put a lot of volume in the back in order to stabilize the knee start, but you have still problem with that, why? I'm interested in your answer since i also have the 6'3 Sky sup 2020 model and i'm waiting the new 2021 Sky wing 5'0 that you already tried.
thanks

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »
Takuma products in the US in 4 weeks, according to Chinook, the new importer.

The Wing Boards are $1439 USD. 5’4’’x24 1/2’’x4 7/8 : 88L

https://www.takuma-concept.com/91-zk-mini-sup.html

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2020, 09:01:49 AM »
Takuma products in the US in 4 weeks, according to Chinook, the new importer.

The Wing Boards are $1439 USD. 5’4’’x24 1/2’’x4 7/8 : 88L

https://www.takuma-concept.com/91-zk-mini-sup.html

Thanks, but I'd prefer local made.  ;)
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard