Author Topic: Wing specific boards  (Read 87504 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Wing specific boards
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 01:28:26 AM »
Merged topics to keep it all together.  It is great to see this happening.  The future of floaters for sure.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing Boards
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 07:53:13 AM »
Somebody thinks like me.  ;D

Check out this preview of Gong’s 2020 wing boards. Short, thick, chunky monkeys. Easy high performance winging.

The stubby wide boards are interesting. I currently ride a 7'10 x 30" 138L board (Takuma BX Hybrid) and I really like it for winging. It's stable in the chop but fun and relatively maneuverable once flying. The thing that I like about it most is that before I'm up on the foil and just getting going it carries good speed with its long shape...I need to going 5++ mph to even think about pumping on the foil.

Aren't stubby (short and wide) boards known for being slow to accelerate? In light wind I wonder how these would perform, if it would make it difficult to get up to speed to pop-up on the foil. Once you're up and flying I'm sure it's a blast though not to have so much board under you, I imagine it would make pumping way easier too.

I sure wish Gong sold boards to the US, as of a few months ago they weren't shipping them to the US due to size. Maybe the stubby little boards will be a different story.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »
Could imagine shipping would likely be around $200, they'd still be a bargain. Suspect it will be at least $150 in excess baggage anyway on United or Condor back from the EU.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
I am considering getting an inflatable F-one Rocket Air SUP 6'11". The reason is it makes transporting 2 boards to the beach very easy as it rolls up into a wing size bag. I like the side handle placement too, it might be very helpful for getting in and out of shore break. The handle is perfect for grabbing the bottom of the foil and the side of the board.

Before you write off inflatables, I suggest reading this firsthand experience using a Rocket Air Board.

https://bayareakitesurf.com/f-one-rocket-air-surf-the-wingsurfers-guide-through-progression/

More Info is at: https://www.f-one.world/product/rocket-air-sup/

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Wing Boards
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 10:51:44 AM »

Aren't stubby (short and wide) boards known for being slow to accelerate? In light wind I wonder how these would perform, if it would make it difficult to get up to speed to pop-up on the foil.

As we all know, getting up on foil, is everything. A little, light, short, board can be bounced into the air much earlier than a big board, that has to rely a lot on board speed for help.

So these small thick wing boards, actually get airborne earlier than any other type board. Even with limited skill.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »
Thanks for that link, S-K.  I was thinking ...if I ever -was-maybe- interested I would get beat to c'hit ..carbon bloodied and hardboard battered.  The F-One blimp looks perfect - 'cept for two details. It is only Tuttle and there are no provisions for footstraps.

There's the Indiana (funny name...) brand with those features but it's microscopic from my perspective.

https://shop.indiana-paddlesurf.com/foil/foilboards/indiana-4-1-foil-inflatable-without-foil.html

There's the Brunotti RDP Glider but check out that mast placement!  (maybe they were working on a 2-way foil)

Only slightly interested....  Jim.

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
This seems like a great idea. I've done some research too but haven't been able to get any real feedback of on one in use. Think I recall seeing a video of behind a boat use. One issue is the KF box, unless you have an F-one foil you'll need an adapter. Gong makes one for their alu masts, probably others too. Going from deep tuttle to KF for instance just sounds wrong.

then there's Manta inflatables as well.

I am considering getting an inflatable F-one Rocket Air SUP 6'11". The reason is it makes transporting 2 boards to the beach very easy as it rolls up into a wing size bag. I like the side handle placement too, it might be very helpful for getting in and out of shore break. The handle is perfect for grabbing the bottom of the foil and the side of the board.

Before you write off inflatables, I suggest reading this firsthand experience using a Rocket Air Board.

https://bayareakitesurf.com/f-one-rocket-air-surf-the-wingsurfers-guide-through-progression/

More Info is at: https://www.f-one.world/product/rocket-air-sup/

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 12:32:53 AM »
Thatspec, good point on the KF box. I am sure F-one has a reason behind their design, although in this case we don't know what it is.

I was wondering why no track mount, but perhaps the track mount is a lot heavier than the KF box.

I have been searching for feedback from users too.

I wonder how hard it is to pump up. I think I read it can go to 25 psi. I am wondering how hard those last 10 pumps are to bring it up to that pressure.

All these boards are very new so hopefully we will start to see some reviews at some point.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 03:26:38 PM »
I wonder how hard it is to pump up. I think I read it can go to 25 psi. I am wondering how hard those last 10 pumps are to bring it up to that pressure.

All these boards are very new so hopefully we will start to see some reviews at some point.

I used to pump my 340Liter board to 25PSI in 6 minutes with the right pump (Red Titan this case) so 2-3 minuets for this seems like a walk in the park in comparison.
in progress...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 04:51:13 AM »
Here is a really nice video of a low volume (50 Liter) knee start in flat water.  It gives you a great idea of what will be required to make that happen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOyKGxM-_E8

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 05:46:00 AM »
Jacky tried that, just pinch your knees and magically go from legs hanging over the side, to knees on the deck trick.

It was hilarious....no way people in there 60s can do that.  ;D  Our joints barely bend. She went back to just climbing aboard and sitting in her knees, then grabbing the wing. Much easier, although not as cool looking  ;D

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 09:14:09 AM »
The new Gong sup and wing foil boards are now on the website. Well worth a look. :)
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/categorie-produit/wing-fr/planches-wing-fr/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:46:24 AM by supunk »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »
SK,  "I was wondering why no track mount, but perhaps the track mount is a lot heavier than the KF box."

...could it be that the plate mounts to a single surface (wiggle-wobble-tear) - whereas the Tuttle allows for attachment to both top/bottom without needing something like Robert's 'strongbox'?

https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/foil-strongbox.html

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »
The new Gong sup and wing foil boards are now on the website. Well worth a look. :)

Lots of compact options there.  The floodgates are about to open.  Stoked to see that Gong smothered these boards in inserts.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »
Think Gong are right on the money with these :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal