Author Topic: 14' Open water rocker / bottom shape help  (Read 54927 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 14' Open water rocker / bottom shape help
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

Any ideas on fin placement -- on a 14 (one in picture )   that will surf smaller downwind slush - both my 12.6 boards have about 24" to the back of the fin box and don't wiggle around too much when i do catch funky little waves --
wonder how to translate to a 14 - more suited to some downwind work

thanks again

aloha

post a ground level picture of your board flat on the ground so I can see where the tail kick starts and what is the width rail to rail at that point, also post a pic of the board outline. I'll be able to give you a good placement.
in progress...

willi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »

Hello Burchas -- Thank you for the offer --I will take it -- and get some pics going -- dealing with tacky paint in steamy Florida should post tomorrow

aloha

willi

willi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »

PRIMER for CARBON - in retrospect - as its done now -- whats the recommended primer for a carbon board -and overcoat - gloss --matt ???
-gotta be painted as it gets to hot here --

any paint advice would be appreciated

thank you
willi

willi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »

Hello Burchas and TallDude --

Here are a couple of pictures  of my board from the side showing  the rocker and and outline -- any info opinions about fin placement & any other comments too --
would be welcome -- and thank you all
I am finding Rustolum primer to be real fast drying and easy to wet sand -- maybe its cause the thinner is xyzlene - any thoughts ???

willi  aloha

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
The rocker pic is a little off alignment and low res but I think I can work with it.

What is the width rail line to rail line at the marked spot. Also could you mark where is
your standing spot on the rocker pic?
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »

Hello Burchas and TallDude --

Here are a couple of pictures  of my board from the side showing  the rocker and and outline -- any info opinions about fin placement & any other comments too --
would be welcome -- and thank you all
I am finding Rustolum primer to be real fast drying and easy to wet sand -- maybe its cause the thinner is xyzlene - any thoughts ???

willi  aloha
If it sticks good, that's want you want. Some primers are better than other for a given substrate. Some of the standard Rustoleum primers work better than the specific Epoxy primers, which have failed me in the past. The boards flex, and some paints don't like that.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

willi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2019, 03:48:34 PM »

Hello Burchas & TallDude -- Thanks for the reply -- I will get the measurement and try to estimate where I will be standing -- as it a new board - the stand spot is kinda unknown -- not too scientific - of me -but I will approximate and get back with measurements

Oh the primer TallDude i used was just regular oil based primer but it wet sands really nice --good point if the primer is too hard it could crack i guess -- I have a satin overcoat to spray in a couple of days when the primer is cured a bit -- the whole project is taking much longer that usual -- guess i am taking more care as its first time using carbon --

thanks for all the info and interest

willi

willi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »

Hello Burchas & TallDude

heres I hope a better picture -- the tail at the mark is around 23" wide and I am thinkin the mid mark is where i will stand (27" wide and stable was what I was after)

Its weigh in right at 22 lbs now -- which i am happy about -- the bottom is nice and flat for laminar flow -hope the water likes my rail profile ;]]
- maybe by this weekend

thanks for any input

aloha

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal