Author Topic: Wind wing sand cart  (Read 13729 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Wind wing sand cart
« on: September 13, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »
The forecast Wednesday for today, Friday, should have been perfect for a first real, dry go-out with the Ozone Wasp, but it got ugly.  I had ordered an extra pair of wheels as soon as I got the wing because I wanted to 'make something'.  I rushed to cobb together this one from parts laying around to make it out today.  (I knew that discarded skimboard from about 10yrs ago would be useful!)   

I wanted to do a LWB, rear-steer version but the machinist was on vacation.  This should give me a sense of whether it will be time well spent.  Unlike the Florida beach in DW's photo of people practicing with a wing, I have slopy shoulders of soft sand. I am friends with the head guard at the Federal Park and primed him about how 'visitor friendly' wings are but the armed constabulary can issue direct orders.

If anyone has a 'dry' use for these wings, I'd like to see it...

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wind wing sand cart
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
Wow, that's cool. If you can't get hurt with that you just aren't trying hard enough. The Oregon Coast, especially Manzanita, is Fabulous for sand sailing. I had two really good ones that could go right up on the dunes--wheels similar to yours. My friends and I had some nasty getoffs, but sand is more forgiving than concrete--sort of.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:04:33 PM »

Wetstuff

That looks like you might think about a helmet and impact vest. It did get me thinking however that a wing with skates on a frozen lake might be crazy fast. My mom has a cabin on lake Windermere in the interior of B.C. The longest ice skating trail measures 29.98 km (18.63 miles) and it is the naturally frozen Lake Windermere Whiteway, in Invermere, British Columbia, Canada, as measured on 14 February 2014.Feb 14, 2014
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com › ...
Longest ice skating trail | Guinness World Records

I haven’t been on skates for years.....what could possibly go wrong?

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 08:02:03 AM »
Bill and Bob...  I used to have our dog pull me on a longboard skate - talk about stoopid risk! He'd sift from a trot to a gallop as things (for him) eased and I'd have to bail on the shoulder.  Three broken wrists in my life have taught me to wear head, wrist and elbow protection. I expect this sand to be slow (the tourists walk on the tidal parts) ..' more worried about the wing yanking me off.

Bob, I had about three different iceboats back in Wisconsin and knew about the ice history of these wings.  Speed skates are what you need.  I threw a pair a way about a decade ago - along with XC skis.  It doesn't stay cold long enough here for those sports. (ice-skates got me my first wrist cast)

Press on, eh?

Jim

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 11:09:18 AM »

Wetstuff

That looks like you might think about a helmet and impact vest. It did get me thinking however that a wing with skates on a frozen lake might be crazy fast. My mom has a cabin on lake Windermere in the interior of B.C. The longest ice skating trail measures 29.98 km (18.63 miles) and it is the naturally frozen Lake Windermere Whiteway, in Invermere, British Columbia, Canada, as measured on 14 February 2014.Feb 14, 2014
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com › ...
Longest ice skating trail | Guinness World Records

I haven’t been on skates for years.....what could possibly go wrong?

Bob

There are purpose built wings for ice and snow. https://kitewing.com/  They use a rigid frame and are much more efficient than inflatable water wings. They don't float. Brett Lickle was combating the wing shortage by using one in Maui last spring. He had pool noodles on it so it wouldn't sink, but it was a bitch to get up out of the water. But yes, of course you could get more seasons out of a foil wing by hauling yourself across the ice at speeds that approach iceboats while you stand up on dinky ice skates with your ankles wobbling. I'll get a nice, hot Irish Coffee and watch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »
Bill, I am 'completely done' with hard surfaces.  I still came prepared: helmet, wrist and elbow guards.  I only wore wrist protection. Old pants because I figured I'd tear them up rather than skin.  About all I really needed was a butt pad...  ' got plunked on my ass a couple of times.  I put more stuff in my Ozone post, but I still want to make another kart.  I might also add more tire pressure; I felt like I was standing on jello. I'll work with this kart again adding new rear wheel bearings.  Having a kart will expand my use of the wing, given I am not planning on foiling.

Bob, An 18mi run sound like the perfect place to have a small wing... Bet you'd piss a bunch of people off; "Coming thru, eh!"

Jim

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 05:25:50 PM »
I found in my sandsailing efforts that long is better. My best board was a long wood one (probably six feet) that I bought from Bob Reuter at Gorge Performance probably in the late 80's. Geez, I've known Reuter a long time. It was made in France and had large diameter plastic wheels with white tires. How french is that!?!

I eventually replaced the axles and wheels with large diameter sand wheels, probably 14" diameter and 4" wide--slick and rounded, but with a ridge in the middle. They were excellent, but I've never seen anything like them--and I've searched.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »
Bill, I am 'completely done' with hard surfaces.  I still came prepared: helmet, wrist and elbow guards.  I only wore wrist protection. Old pants because I figured I'd tear them up rather than skin.  About all I really needed was a butt pad...  '

Bob, An 18mi run sound like the perfect place to have a small wing... Bet you'd piss a bunch of people off; "Coming thru, eh!"

Jim

Thanks Jim

I will need to learn how to avoid the Zamboni........yes apparently they have one!

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 07:58:09 PM »
I found in my sandsailing efforts that long is better. My best board was a long wood one (probably six feet) that I bought from Bob Reuter at Gorge Performance probably in the late 80's. Geez, I've known Reuter a long time. It was made in France and had large diameter plastic wheels with white tires.
Yes Pono, that’s a « Speedsail »,  created by Arnaud de Rosnay in 1977.
http://www.speedsailshop.com/epages/237191.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/237191

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:40 PM »
Yup, that's the one. Either the Racing or Slalom, I can't tell which. Lots of people got hurt on that thing, including me.

http://www.speedsailshop.com/epages/237191.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/237191/Categories/%22Speedsail%20complets%22

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal