Author Topic: Any new waist leash ideas/thoughts?  (Read 30169 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Any new waist leash ideas/thoughts?
« on: September 13, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
i can no longer sup due to an ms-like disease that's ruined my leg strength and balance, so i ride a waveski.  been doing so with a leash attached to the paddle but the other day, twasn't even a big day, i found out that my hand grip strength is close to zero.  a wave rolled me, i ejected from my waveski, thought i had a good grip on my paddle but the next wave ripped the board and paddle away from me and straight to shore.  i was left bobbing in the water with zero arm strength left and leg strength that's close to zero, too.  next stop?  davey jones' locker.  well, i finally sucked up the courage to ask a couple of nearby shortboarders for help, which they offered.  i got in and sat there for the next 20 minutes contemplating how it would definitely have gone had i not had help.  yikes!  and the waves weren't even that big.

anyway, once again i've had to reconfigure my thinking about my disability and come to terms with new realities.  ugh.  just sucks.

meanwhile, i think a better leash option for me now would be one i can attach to a waist belt.  any ideas about what's available, the pros and cons?  thanks!

edit: i just saw that someone recently made a similar post.  i'm going to leave mine anyway, in case any other thoughts pop to someone's mind.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:54:58 AM by linter »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any new waist leash ideas/thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
First of all...... Scary moment. Nothing wrong with asking for help... ever. Are you wearing a life jacket? You sad you were bobbing around, so I'll guess yes. Definitely get a waist leash. Be safe out there, but stay with it.   https://www.armstrongfoils.com/waist-leash/  Not a fan of coiled leashes in the surf. You could just get a belt with a plastic clip from a sporting good store. Like one that hold water bottles and wrap a standard ankle mount leash around it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
Hey Eric, West Coast Paddle Sports sells them. They're on Morena Bld on the way to Costco.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »
td: nope, not wearing a pfd yet.  guess that'll be one of my next moves.  and, thanks for the link to that belt.  mucho expensive, tho.

tom: i'll give wcps a call and see what they've got.  thanks for the tip!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
Get an impact vest that feels comfortable, have someone who sews heavy stuff attach a loop to it or just mcGyver something on--I've done it with pop rivets but you need good backing. Built in waist leash with float.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:55:58 PM »
good idea, bill, and that'll be my next go after i try out the leashlok i just got.  need to find a vest that's short enough for me to use sitting down while still being able to do its job.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
Vaikobi PFD or the Icon kite impact vest. the Icon zips to the waist but there's no padding to get in the way below your ribs. The Vaikobi is easy to add a leash connection to and it's the standard for sit down paddling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
thanks, bill, i appreciate your help.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 02:05:36 PM »
sorry youre struggling, linter---get your gear optimized, and i bet youll be ok---good luck
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »
Here's how I added a waist leash to a Vaikobi PFD. You can do it in a simpler way by just hooking the leash to the side straps, but this is totally out of the way. I use it with a quick release with a very short lanyard so it doesn't get accidentally popped.

I simply sewed loops into a length of webbing (yes, I sew and cook, I'll make someone a fine wife someday), used a soldering iron to make slots in the PFD, ran the webbing through, disconnected the belts, put the loops over the buckles, reconnected the belts and done. The Vaikobi is pretty handly for any kind of water sport. Good float, has a camelback pocket and two mesh pockets for powerbars, etc., and it doesn't get in the way, even while seated.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:25:47 PM by PonoBill »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
okay, that looks like just the ticket, bill.  now i've got to find me one of those vests.  onward!

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
You might be able to find a rescue style kayaking pfd. I think some come with fittings like this built in.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »
right you are!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 04:35:13 PM »
When your leash is fixed to your pfd, how are you going to disconnect yourself from a leash that is attached behind you, in an emergency, without also losing your pfd at the same time?

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 08:33:13 PM »
When your leash is fixed to your pfd, how are you going to disconnect yourself from a leash that is attached behind you, in an emergency, without also losing your pfd at the same time?

You pull the quick release toggle that is located at the front of the vest on the belt.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal