Author Topic: Any new waist leash ideas/thoughts?  (Read 30209 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any new waist leash ideas/thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
When your leash is fixed to your pfd, how are you going to disconnect yourself from a leash that is attached behind you, in an emergency, without also losing your pfd at the same time?

It's not hard to get to the short lanyard I attached. I wouldn't do a belly release where I'd be likely to accidentally release it and find myself bobbing in the deep blue yet again. That's more for likely entanglement situations on narrow, turbulent water where the PFD is the first line of defense and you can reach the shore fairly easily.

This kind of rig isn't for the general public who need something that they can manage when they are freaked out and not thinking. It's for experienced people who don't panic easily. I don't pretend that there's a solution that's going to save someone in every situation. I've been in deep shit where just a bit of luck made the difference. But a waist leash has proven to be a great option in a lot of situations.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
   first time out with the waist belt and the first time i had to bail, i wound up with the leash around my neck.  got it undone before the next pile of white water headed my way.  now i've got to figure out how that happened and see what i can do to prevent it from happening again.  i know folks don't like coiled leashes but perhaps that might be a better option or at least one i should try out.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
Make it a short and stout one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
good suggestion.  i'm on it ...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal