Author Topic: RS Pro Paddle Edge Saver  (Read 22121 times)

Masonboro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
RS Pro Paddle Edge Saver
« on: September 12, 2019, 01:31:52 PM »
I couldn't find much info on the somewhat new RS Pro Paddle Blade Edge Saver product - https://www.rspro.org/products/edge-saver-jumbo-2pcs

Does anyone have any experience w/ this paddle edge product especially in combination with having RS Pro rail tape installed on your board?  I think I read somewhere that the rail saver tape can easily shred the RS Pro paddle edge saver product.

Many thanks!
Quatro Glide Pro 8'10"
KeNalu Ho'oloa 84

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: RS Pro Paddle Edge Saver
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »
I use 3M Scotchguard door edge guard. Same stuff, basically, but much cheaper (and a little bit narrower). I apply two layers, then it lasts a long time, even when paddling with RSPro rail savers fitted. If you have just one layer it doesn’t last that long - two layers put on together last longer than one layer followed by another when the first one goes. You won’t notice it’s there - you can’t even see it from a short distance away.

I’d never use a blade without protection on it. Very soon your blade edge gets a nick or a split, or you cut your feet with the blade when changing hands. And impacts on your board can be brutal.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:30:32 PM »
Ditto on the 3M door guard, tho’ I haven’t yet done the two layer approach. Sounds like a good idea.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
I used to use electrical tape and it works great but had to replace it every six months or so because it would get nicks and tears in it.

I started using the PSPro and love it and it’s lasted years. I made this vid showing how I fitted it and back then they only had the short version. (Which I think is fine and plenty long enough) but since I’ve bought the new longer version and it’s the same but goes all the way the blade edge to the shaft.

I’ve had no issues with using it with the RSPro rail tape on the board but then I don’t regularly wack my rails and drag my paddle down my rail with every stroke like some people do.

It’s a great product in my opinion.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 03:02:10 PM »
If you put this on your paddle do you still need anything on your rails ? or use both ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »
Ditto on the 3M door guard, tho’ I haven’t yet done the two layer approach. Sounds like a good idea.

Ditto on Ditto.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »
If you put this on your paddle do you still need anything on your rails ? or use both ?
I do have boards that I haven’t fitted rail tape to, and because I tape my blade they are not chipped. Eventually you just gently wear away the paint where the paddle shaft runs against the rail, if you do touch your rails regularly (I seem to do it on some boards but not on others). But if you tape your rails as well as your paddle, both stay pristine pretty much forever, barring an accident. I actually run a short piece of the door edge protector tape up the side of the shaft for a few inches higher than the blade, which provides another piece of protection against paddle/rail connection: RSPro rail saver can be a little abrasive on the shaft of your paddle.

Whether you need, or want, to do these things will depend on your particular board and paddle stroke, and how much you care about your boards. DavidJohn takes beautiful care of his boards (so do I) so they still look almost like new even after several years of use.

These days I am mostly paddling boards that don’t have any paint on them. So they don’t chip. But I still use both blade and rail protector. And because I protect my blades, other people don’t mind me paddling their boards. It is IMO the height of lack of consideration to paddle someone else’s untaped board with your untaped paddle.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:34:58 AM »
I tried them all and started on electrical tape but only last a month then you need to replace them often, then RS pro but too expensive and tick and doesn't last as long and get knick easily. Also bought numerous tapes at hardware shop but there either too thick and peel off easily. The best by far is 3M tape Area 10 said or helicopter tape, it's thin and tuff than those other tapes I have tried.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 06:22:09 AM »
Another vote for the 3M tape. Is easy to apply and works like magic. I apply it on the paddle blade edge and also up the shaft a few inches. With this I never bother to apply rail tape on my board. I'm not much of a "rail banger" to start with, but when I do hit the rail, since my paddle has the 3M tape, my board is protected.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:26 AM »
always used 3m electrical tape--seal shaft/handle/blade connections---works well, nice colors

shreds relatively quickly but easy to remove reapply

cheap
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 07:46:29 AM »
Are you getting the 3M tape online ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 08:25:17 AM »
RSPRO makes GREAT PRODUCTS

But an inexpensive alternative blade edge protection is
3M Door Guard Clear, Tough and very thin!
and a roll does like 6 paddles so inexpensive to boot!

I DID NOT figure this out a "Lurker on the Zone here showed me...We put it on for free with paddles purchased at the shop
It is THAT EASY.

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 09:11:40 AM »
JEGS also has it!

Racer's tape to protect EXPENSIVE paint jobs..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”