Author Topic: Riding SHORT Foil SUPs  (Read 166413 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Riding SHORT Foil SUPs
« on: September 10, 2019, 06:29:41 AM »
I recently acquired a 6' 2" Jeff Clark foil SUP.

The benefits are that it is LIGHT with extremely low swing weight e.g. moment of inertia.

That said when I got on the board it was like re-learning how to catch a wave.  I spent more than an hour and couldn't catch a single wave (this after 300+ sessions foiling).  Any weight on the front foot would sink the nose and instantly pearl the board. 

You need to take off with your feet in the near perfect riding position e.g. back foot on or near where back strap would be. 

These short SUPs are the only way we can hope to pump and keep up with the younger prone crowd.  All advice welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUGX9_zD5c

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:36:18 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Riding SHORT Foil SUPs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:30:31 AM »
Blue Planet Carver Foilboards fit the profile.

Ready to go straight from Hawaii.

https://youtu.be/dVM_5GF7CBw
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:37:03 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
Did I mention LIGHT.

15 lbs 6 oz with all the rigging (Tuttle Box).

Leash plugs and footstraps all stick on no handle.

24 lbs 2 oz with GL 210 wing and Tall GoFoil Mast.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
Beasho, Thanks for posting. I ride a 7'6 Starboard at 106L with my IWA 170. While I have it all figured out and can pretty much catch any bump, I am dying to try a shorter, lighter standie for foiling.

Your comments around foot position and pearling make sense and I have witnessed similar characteristics on my buddies prone foil board.

PS, thanks for sharing the GL glide video with you and Jeff the other day. That thing looks awesome. Cant wait to get one.

-red

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
I’m riding a 5’8 now. This is the first board where the wing “size” under it, affected the sensitivity to pearling via aggressive paddling or sloppy take-off technique.

When I was on a 5’11, no such issue. So for me, 5’8 is my comfortable limit at 187 lbs and 65 years of age.

Oh, and at 5’8”, you need a nose fin. Don’t need at on the 5’11.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
Short board is the way to go but you need to keep some volume, it hepls for popping up early, the recess deck is a good option as it will also gives you more stability especially paddling on choppy water.
But you need to have a good paddling technique to be able to paddle straight.

I haven't tried a fin a the nose, looks like D, Kalama is putting those on production board.

For the bottom, especially the front half part, there are many two design. Round bottom nose (race board style), flat nose (like a classic sup or surfboard), single concave (longboard style) or deep double concave (KT is doing this on his foil board).

The theory behing the deep double concave is to create more lift.

I will let you know as my next board 5'5 x 26 x 4.9 - 101L, recess deck and a double concave on front bottom.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »
Nice board. That would probably work for me if it were a bit wider and thicker. Little Fugly is 6'11" X 30" and it's starting to feel pretty big.

I suspect your pearling issue is more the GL wing than the board. I had to take off my front strap and ride with my foot behind the screw holes to get the GL240 to trim. The first ten times I got up on it I splashed down nose-first. You were probably getting away with a foot position that wasn't just right when using a board you are completely accustomed to and could compensate with body movement. Add another variable and boom!

The center of lift with the GL looks to be at least four inches further back. The prototype I tried was even further back--it had a cutaway to move the wing back. My production 240 works great with my front foot in a position that my inserts won't allow a strap.

Time for a trip to NSI. I'll need to take provisions, it's at least a ten-minute walk. I've gotten used to no strap at all for wing foiling, so maybe I should just go with that, but I'll grab some stick-on inserts just in case.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 07:09:52 AM »
Nice board. That would probably work for me if it were a bit wider and thicker. Little Fugly is 6'11" X 30" and it's starting to feel pretty big.

I suspect your pearling issue is more the GL wing than the board. I had to take off my front strap and ride with my foot behind the screw holes to get the GL240 to trim. The first ten times I got up on it I splashed down nose-first. You were probably getting away with a foot position that wasn't just right when using a board you are completely accustomed to and could compensate with body movement. Add another variable and boom!

The center of lift with the GL looks to be at least four inches further back. The prototype I tried was even further back--it had a cutaway to move the wing back. My production 240 works great with my front foot in a position that my inserts won't allow a strap.

Time for a trip to NSI. I'll need to take provisions, it's at least a ten-minute walk. I've gotten used to no strap at all for wing foiling, so maybe I should just go with that, but I'll grab some stick-on inserts just in case.

I used to have a front foot strap but on my new board I need to have my front food forward to get up early then I'm more comfortable step back while flying so I don't use strap anymore and I don't feel I need it anymore even downwinding.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
I set up the front strap to be 2" further back than my set up on other boards.

The theory being that as you get better you can shorten your stance.  This worked with BOTH the IWA and the GL210.

At first I was worried about footstrap position but worked through any issues after ~ 5 sessions.

I WOULD NOT TAKE OFF THE FOOTSTRAPS AT THIS POINT.

The front strap is KEY to big wave takeoffs, locking your front foot into position for overpowered drops. 

The back strap is KEY to turning.  It locks and loads you into control. 

I learned from Sam Pae to use a longer front strap to accomodate HEAVY front foot when necessary but to pull back when flying with a smaller tail, or for pumping.  See the play on my front foot in photo.  See his footstrap mounted over the handle.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
I really don't understand why footstraps are helpful!  I have not ever had a problem where my foot slipped from its position, and I've also never felt that I needed to pull upwards or sideways with my foot/feet.   Especially in hard turns, the foot pressure into the board increases dramatically and I don't think the straps would really be doing anything.  I've never used straps, so maybe I'm missing the point.  I could see why getting airborne would require straps, but I'm not trying that yet.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 12:12:20 PM »
I really don't understand why footstraps are helpful! . . . I've never used straps, so maybe I'm missing the point.

Straps are 15% better.  BUT this is how much better I would rate the GL210 wing vs the IWA Foil. 

That may not seem like much but watch every cutting edge video from Hawaii and those guys are riding with Straps:  Dave Kalama, Austin Kalama, Laird Hamilton, Kai Lenny, Zane Schweitzer, Derek Hama . . . I want to Foil like those guys. 

You can take off 1) Earlier 2) In bigger waves with confidence 3) Turn harder

As Dave Kalama says "I would feel naked without them." 

Jeff Clark "They take you to the next level." 

https://youtu.be/jSy94r27lZc
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:14:02 PM by Beasho »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
Agree with you on smaller boards, Beasho.  Downsizing from a 7'4 Hypernut to this 6'0x28 Kalama a few months back has been a game changer and upped my progression dramatically but the first two sessions on the new board was like being a total beginner again!  I am not too big of a fan of footstraps but may give it a go again at some point... one of the foilers I met told me it was a must when he went from a 6'0 Kalama down to the 5'6.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
I really don't understand
That may not seem like much but watch every cutting edge video from Hawaii and those guys are riding with Straps:  Dave Kalama, Austin Kalama, Laird Hamilton, Kai Lenny, Zane Schweitzer, Derek Hama . . . I want to Foil like those guys. 

Strapless.

KDMaui, Mizo Fernando, Brian Finch (@foiltheworld), WestCoastFoilClub guys, LostBoysFoilClub, LarryFoiler, Chanzy Patrice,

Seems to fall into a SUP vs prone and then even further a wind sports background vs non wind sports background.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
Must every thread involving Beasho devolve into a strap fight? lol

What is it about your threads that invites such drama over how grown people choose to ride their plastic water toys? Imagine if it was something that anyone really cared about. 😉😂🏄🏽😆

Wait, what were we talking about?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 12:45:22 AM »
I'm scared of straps and maybe one day I'll try them once I get to a certain level of foil ability. I'm just worried I go one way and my foot goes the other way to dislocation injury. How does everyone eject out of it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal