Author Topic: BIG wings...7m  (Read 167817 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: BIG wings...7m
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 06:49:24 AM »
Probably not, though yes, it might be a useful approximation. At least not when you learn to use it as intended. It's a wing, not a sail. Most of the time it's horizontal to some degree. I see a lot of beginners holding the wing nearly vertical as if it were a sail, and pulling on their back hand as if they were sheeting a sail. With the wing at an efficient angle the back hand pulls down, not in, to increase the angle of attack. I think (or rather, I hope) that dragging wingtips is a beginner pain. I catapulted into my canopy (that's kind of alliterative) two days ago when I dragged a wingtip turning downwind. Purely wrongheaded move. Turning downwind is so much easier if the wing is well above me and flat.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:54:32 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
Wooohoooo,, my 7 meter just arrived.  :)

But now i am busy at work again so dont know when I will get to try and ride it :'(

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
With a bigger wing, more area is above your front hand, and more area below your bottom hand. So don’t think of all the extra area being devoted to dragging in the water.

With my 7m, my front hand does not use the forward handle. I’m more centered.

Patrice commented to my instagram. I think the 9m is dead. His home spot has wind of 8-15 knots. 7m is his most used size.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »
Woohoo, mine was just delivered :)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »
Watching Patrice's 12-ish year old son about (5 foot tall) handle the 9 meter wing. certainly made it look easy enough put my concern for a 7m to rest
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »
Had a chance to try the gong 7m yesterday, stoked to have enough power in lighter winds.  So much more control and able to go whatever direction I wanted.  I was concerned about being overpowered and dragging the wing tips, never happened.  I think for now this would be my size up to 20mph wind, and then 5m for 20-25, and 4m for beyond that.

The only thing I noticed is that flipping the 7m wing over took more work, hoping I discover a better technique for this.

I was on a loaner board that was way to small and still flailing to get up on the foil, hoping to get another chance soon...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »
Geez gummy...when did you guys order yours? I paid for mine (and two others w/pumps) from GONG back on July 19th, and I'm still waiting by the mailbox for it...supposedly shipped last Tuesday, and now somewhere in the La Poste "network" per their "latest" update...

:o >:(

Hope there's not a problem with any of them if/when they ever arrive...hate to think of the f'n hassle it would be to get it fixed or replaced. ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:53:21 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »
Geez gummy...when did you guys order yours? I paid for mine (and two others w/pumps) from GONG back on July 19th, and I'm still waiting by the mailbox for it...supposedly shipped last Tuesday, and now somewhere in the La Poste "network" per their "latest" update...

:o >:(

Hope there's not a problem with any of them if/when they ever arrive...hate to think of the f'n hassle it would be to get it fixed or replaced. ::)

Recieved 10 days after payment, 5 days after getting a shipped email.  I noticed some colors were in stock and others still pre-order...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 12:09:02 PM »
Recieved 10 days after payment, 5 days after getting a shipped email.  I noticed some colors were in stock and others still pre-order...
So in other words long after I had already paid for mine. My credit card was charged over a month before the container was even scheduled to arrive, so I'd be..."one of the first orders to be sent out". Incredible, nice work GONG.  >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 01:48:35 PM »
Do you have the USPS app installed and your address registered? If you do, it shows all inbound packages to that address. No need to ask or wait on a tracking number. The Gong shipments pop up in the app when they hit US customs.

FYI, same for FedEx and UPS apps. Everyone should have these apps and be using them. You will never have to ask for a tracking number again. Plus you’ll know for real with a package is coming to you.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
Thanks Dwight, did all that, and now even a bit more concerned. Because as of today, "Informed Delivery" says I have "0 packages" that will be arriving soon. Fingers crossed maybe it's after they clear customs that the USPS gets their hands on them and on their site...and that it could be possible they're still sitting in some La Poste "network" warehouse on whatever US airport grounds wherever they landed them still waiting to get moved over to customs?

Two months today since I was charged for them, coming up on a month since they were supposed to be available/shipped, nine days since GONG supposedly shipped them, five days since they supposedly left France...and still no word on where they are or when we might get them. Oh, and emails to GONG's "International Salesman" go unanswered for days/weeks at a time, even though they say "We respond in 24h" on the bottom of every webpage on their site. ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:32:07 PM by SanoSlatchSup »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 11:32:03 PM »
Dave that sounds like a real bummer. 
I had a 5m on order and prepaid for 2 months before I gave up and canceled.

I finally had the right combo of 7m wing, foil, wind, and spot to get up on foil and fly for about 100 yards.  Side offshore is so much easier than being in the full on wind and wave stream. Wind was averaging low teens and gusty, on the gusts I had enough power to get on foil and then when the gust died I dropped.  Gave me a lot of practice flying the big kite and positioning my feet.  First time I was able to jibe my way back to the beach I started from.

By the third flight I had foot placement and kite control figured out, super stoked.  I can see multiple miles long flights are within reach

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »
Thanks Dwight, did all that, and now even a bit more concerned. Because as of today, "Informed Delivery" says I have "0 packages" that will be arriving soon. Fingers crossed maybe it's after they clear customs that the USPS gets their hands on them and on their site...and that it could be possible they're still sitting in some La Poste "network" warehouse on whatever US airport grounds wherever they landed them still waiting to get moved over to customs?

Two months today since I was charged for them, coming up on a month since they were supposed to be available/shipped, nine days since GONG supposedly shipped them, five days since they supposedly left France...and still no word on where they are or when we might get them. Oh, and emails to GONG's "International Salesman" go unanswered for days/weeks at a time, even though they say "We respond in 24h" on the bottom of every webpage on their site. ::)
Similar situation here but shorter timeframe have not recieved a tracking number or anything, just notice that it was entrusted in shipping partners whatever that means, perhaps Dwight can chime in on how his wing arrived usps, ups or? and time frame from pymt to delivery, man I’m chomping at the bit to try that 7m wing, I also checked my usps and ups apps and nada in the works as well, from my understanding the 7m were in stock at least a few colors were, I once got a foil from alpine foil from France I believe and it arrived real smooth in about a week with tracking number and all,went surprisingly well, hopefully it will show soon🤞
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »
Going on memory....after the entrusted to shipping partner email, I got another email with the French postal tracking link. That email came 2 days later I think. It doesn’t show in USPS tracking until it hits US customs. Takes a week total.

Once it gets in the USPS system, it travels as next day priority service.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 04:17:56 PM »
Going on memory....after the entrusted to shipping partner email, I got another email with the French postal tracking link. That email came 2 days later I think. It doesn’t show in USPS tracking until it hits US customs. Takes a week total.

Once it gets in the USPS system, it travels as next day priority service.
Thanks Dwight I emailed them and was sent a Laposte.fr tracking# that says it’s here in USA in customs and that’s about as far as that tracking goes, and its location not sure? so Hoping that my usps parcel shows on my app soon and same for SSsup too will see how it shakes out🤞
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal