Author Topic: BIG wings...7m  (Read 167829 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BIG wings...7m
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »
Now the Gong "Wing PLUS" is up for preorder.
They wasted no time coming out with a version 2.

I'm kind of glad and mad, our V1 has barely even seen the water, and the V2 comes out looking like a better fit for my wants of a wing.

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 01:50:46 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoCKRAfcRsI

Look really good. A bit like the F One swing with a panel between the boom and the canopy. Some great wing foiling moves!!!.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:20:26 PM by supunk »

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
Yikes - I haven't even had a chance to try my 5M Gong wing that arrived less than a week ago and they've already come out with the "Plus" version aka V2! The website says pre-order now for a late November delivery...https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/gong-wing-plus/

I'm excited to hear feedback on the 7M from the fellow zoners. I'm hoping there will be enough wind tomorrow here in Seattle to try out my 5M.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
From the original videos it looks like the smaller Gong wings had no panel between the strut and canopy, while the larger ones had a little panel, but perhaps not enough to shape the inside of the wing into a good foil shape. The V2 version looks to have a deeper panel and a more gradual transition of the leading edge to the wingtips, which might stiffen the wingtips a bit.

Everything we are playing with is V1. Most of this stuff will be as dated as a two-line kite in a year or so. You want to get on the Ferris Wheel early, you gotta pay.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2019, 04:22:06 PM »
Well the drama of my missing wing since the 19th has finally come to happy end it arrived today evidently as usual went through customs heading over from France  and was sent to my local PO Approx 70mi away,and for some reason was sent for another go back to customs and basically disappeared since the 19th, perhaps a big sticker “Made in China” on the box didn’t help its course! Anyway just unboxed it and did trial inflation all good,yes! First impressions out of the bag is it’s pretty heavy with huge leading edge and center strut, compared to my regular kitefoil kites and my Naish 4m wing not really sure in the future wings will need such large diameter LEs and center strut, inflating it was like blowing up my 12m boxer holds a lot of air for 7m,apples oranges of coarse but coming from close to 20years kiting obvious things that stood out for me on first look.As would have it been on good 5day run of wind here and figures today is pretty much on the downswing of the wind cycle here for a few? It comes with standard Boston inflation valve and build quality appears pretty nice, canopy could use a bit more reinforcement in trailin edge my boxers definitely more stout in this category,The handles are impressive really nice a step up compared to my 4m Niash wing! Can’t wait to try it out,Come to find out that Gong has a new improved version coming out shortly hard to keep up with the tech advances here in the wing and supfoil products these days oh well it’s arrived F@&k yeah stoked!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:13:48 PM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2019, 05:21:46 PM »
Well the drama of my missing wing since the 19th has finally come to happy end it arrived today...oh well it’s arrived F@&k yeah stoked!
Congrats paddlur, I know it was a long frustrating journey for you...stoked for you! I'm sure after the first couple of sessions with it it'll seem like old hat to you, and you'll forget all about the nonsense you had to go through just to get the GD thing. Now maybe today's the day you go get that lottery ticket...LOL!!  ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 05:41:35 PM »
Well the drama of my missing wing since the 19th has finally come to happy end it arrived today evidently as usual went through customs heading over from France  and was sent to my local PO Approx 70mi away,and for some reason was sent for another go back to customs and basically disappeared since the 19th, perhaps a big sticker “Made in China” on the box didn’t help its course! Anyway just unboxed it and did trial inflation all good,yes! First impressions out of the bag is it’s pretty heavy with huge leading edge and center strut, compared to my regular kitefoil kites and my Naish 4m wing not really sure in the future wings will need such large diameter LEs and center strut, inflating it was like blowing up my 12m boxer holds a lot of air for 7m,apples oranges of coarse but coming from close to 20years kiting obvious things that stood out for me on first look.As would have it been on good 5day run of wind here and figures today is pretty much on the downswing of the wind cycle here for a few? It comes with standard Boston inflation valve and build quality appears pretty nice, canopy could use a bit more reinforcement in trailin edge my boxers definitely more stout in this category,The handles are impressive really nice a step up compared to my 4m Niash wing! Can’t wait to try it out,Come to find out that Gong has a new improved version coming out shortly hard to keep up with the tech advances here in the wing and supfoil products these days oh well it’s arrived F@&k yeah stoked!
Been having some issues posting yesterday so here’s a cpl of Picts of the 7m gong wing just need some wind now to try it out.🤞
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:26:14 PM by paddlur »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 06:27:43 PM »
Well the drama of my missing wing since the 19th has finally come to happy end it arrived today...oh well it’s arrived F@&k yeah stoked!
Congrats paddlur, I know it was a long frustrating journey for you...stoked for you! I'm sure after the first couple of sessions with it it'll seem like old hat to you, and you'll forget all about the nonsense you had to go through just to get the GD thing. Now maybe today's the day you go get that lottery ticket...LOL!!  ;) ;D
Got that right SSsup👍

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
Got my 7m Gong a couple of weeks after having to pay twice! Wanted to pay cash to keep things on the “lowdown” since I already had a preorder for a Duotone 5m since March.  Credit union sends a wire transfer on August 8, they say it landed on the 13th-still have no idea what happened to my $675 so I begged the wife to use the credit card anyway-total @#$^ show!
Anyway, I went up to Floras lake Oregon yesterday and flopped around while kiters flew all over the place foiling and non foiling. No windsurfer were even close to planeing except some guy with a giant board and a huge 8m? sail . I’m thinking even with the Iwa on my 190Lbs with my super heavy 8’ hypernut didn’t help not to mention zero technique. Pretty frustrating. I’m trying to watch all of the videos again to check things like hand placement. I wish I could see a heavier guy pump onto a plane with the 7m. One of the kiters passed by my and yelled “pump it up and down!” I tried but the wing seemed to just spill the pitiful gusts more than any windsurf sail I have used. I have been looking at Admin’s iwindsurf graph for his great day of wingfoiling compared to mine yesterday-they kinda seem similar-hmmm. Gonna be paying some dues to get this down!
Cheers

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
Got my 7m Gong a couple of weeks after having to pay. I’m thinking even with the Iwa on my 190Lbs with my super heavy 8’ hypernut didn’t help not to mention zero technique. Pretty frustrating. I’m trying to watch all of the videos again to check things like hand placement. I wish I could see a heavier guy pump onto a plane with the 7m.
Cheers
I went out yesterday in barely 15mph wind, I felt like experimenting so I tried a 1700 wing and gong 7m.  I pumped liked crazy for almost 1/3 mile and only got the board out of the water once and then immediately fell back down.  I gave up and went back in to swap for a 2400 wing.  I still had to work hard to get the board up, but that bigger wing flies at a lower speed so I was able to stay up on foil and fly for a 1/2 mile.  I could not pump up toe side on my way back in.  I'm 200 pounds.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
I have a Gong 7M wing plus on pre-order to use with my Gong XXL pro 1.2m foil. Hoping the combo should get me up in some light winds. The XXL pro foil works great with my 5M Duotone with great lift and glide. I can really recommend this foil for wingfoiling ;)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:15:58 PM by supunk »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »
Probably no surprise that the Gong looks like an Axis 1020. The designs are converging.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2019, 08:18:33 PM »
With the Gong 5M wing and XXL Foil (2,500cm) I'm able to pop up on the foil in 15mph gusts and maintain flight down to 10mph with a few pumps here and there. The XXL wing has a crazy amount of lift. If anyone is having trouble foiling, just get the XXL foil and call it a day. I'm learning after my 3rd Wing session that the trick is getting board speed up before popping up on the foil and not trying to pop-up to soon. I've found wingfoiling way easier than windfoiling (windsurf foiling). This sport is seriously a blast, easier than I thought, and not just a high-wind sport for Maui and the Gorge like I originally thought.

With the new Gong 7M Plus model I anticipate there will be wingfoiling days of 8 - 12 knots on the horizon.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »
Hi Rastaman. Do you have the regular XXL or the XXL pro foil? The pro is another level over the regular for easy flying :o

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2019, 04:28:23 AM »
...... trick is getting board speed up before popping up on the foil and not trying to pop-up to soon.

I found the same.

To get my Axis 1000 wing going in lighter wing, The first two pumps, I concentrate on shoving the board forward. The next two pumps, I unweight and pop up. The next two pumps I’m up, but do them anyway, to gain the extra speed the 1000 wing needs. Then I’m good.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:35:04 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal