Author Topic: Input on the Patagonia impact vest  (Read 68462 times)

Masonboro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Input on the Patagonia impact vest
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
I saw an old 2018 post about the Patagonia impact vest being on sale.  Would like to receive some feedback from those who have used it before dropping $170 (pricey).  From what I read in the prior posts, seems challenging to get into and out of and is sized small?  I have a 44" chest, am 6'3" tall, and weigh 215 pounds so from the old posts seems like a XXL would be best?  I am also looking at Liquid Force's wake boarding impact vests (Ghost and Spector versions).  I use a Leashlok waist leash so it is important that the vest works with it around the waistline area.

Many thanks for all of help!
Quatro Glide Pro 8'10"
KeNalu Ho'oloa 84

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Input on the Patagonia impact vest
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
Check out O'Neal Guru. Recommended to me by a champion water-ski fella!

Works awesome. Cheaper.
Better fit.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
If you are in the XL category I have one you could grab for free. No way I could get into that thing without grease and two helpers, and if I got in, I'd need a knife to get out. I like the Icon. Not as much coverage as the Patagonia theoretically had, but I can get it on and off without a team and a can of Crisco.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 06:23:04 PM »
I bought a Patagonia during the sale and didn't like it.

It has very little stretch so getting on and off is a hassle. It's also too bulky with more float than you need.

It's made for true big wave surfing, not the conditions normal people surf in.

I sold the Patagonia and bought an O'Neil Slasher Comp zippered vest. It's perfect. Easy on/off and just the right amount of float.

I'm 6'0, 175lbs and wear a medium.  https://us.oneill.com/products/slasher-comp-vest?variant=1492356530191

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:24:38 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »
I use both the Gooru and Patagonia. Both are medium size (I am 70 kg) and I use a leashlok waist leash. The Patagonia is significantly more difficult to get on. The Patagonia has almost no padding in front other than over the pecs/clavicle area. No problem with waist leash with either. Perhaps a bit better leash fit with the Patagonia. Pono’s offer is hard to turn down.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:03:17 AM »
I have all three mentioned here: Patagonia, Slasher Comp, and Gooru (the old one and the new version). The Slasher fits too tightly, really, unless you are very slim. The Patagonia is nice with a waist belt and is floatier, but is bulkier than the other two. The O’Neill Gooru is my favourite, all round. But as with wetsuits, it matters so much what shape of body you are. You just have to try them on, really. They are all pretty good, so none would be a mistake as long as it fits.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 06:02:03 AM »
I bought my Slasher Comp online. The size chart was not much help at all but after reading a ton of reviews about sizing, took a chance on the medium and it was a perfect fit. The chest size is the most important thing. My chest is 39 inches and I'm fairly slim. It fits nicely over all my wetsuits up to 6/5.

It feels a bit tight when I put it on dry but stretches and becomes perfectly comfortable once it gets wet. It fits like a glove. Never rides up. Looks great in solid black. I'm really happy with it.

I had the O'Neil Techno Comp pullover vest for four years but it eventually got stretched out and needed replacement. The zippered vests go on way easier which is less stressful on the fabric.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:20:46 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 06:08:38 AM »
My Ion zip-up has started riding up when I crash. It has either stretched some, or I am becoming more conical, or I'm crashing harder. Could be all three.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal