Author Topic: Ozone 4m WASP wind wing  (Read 339221 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Ozone 4m WASP wind wing
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »
Lordie, fer'gv'me.. I could not resist the temptation.  AND - this was a hard choice because I did 1st Gen stuff before and really wanted to wait.  I was the second guy to take up water-kites locally, ~2002, and it was pretty much all self-taught. ..2-line, 3, 4.  Foils and blimps. Domestic and foreign. Directionals and twin-tips.  8 thru 16m kites. Just an absolute blast to learn and do. After about 11ys I started to get hurt because I was not processing kite inputs well. My last 'death spiral', heading for trees, initiated the yard sale. I picture this hand wing will allow me back into the wind without all the complexity of setup/launching of my old surf kites.  It should also be, for me, 1000x safer.

'Hard choice also because lots of the great kite names have developed wings and I don't know anyone who has one locally. I only see the videos like you and read the same reports. I chose Ozone.   

I like the concept of 'lightness' of F-One, Slingy looks bullet-proof, I picture myself faceplanting into the Duotone boom, I don't like 'marketing brands' who simply place famous names on unidentifed designers/fabricators.

Ozone has pretty much everything I could think of, as a company to make a 1st Gen product.  First, they come with a long history of making low-speed airfoils by making paragliders, kites for kitesurfing, motor-kites, snow-kites, even those little suits guys with a deathwish who fly thru mountain passes.

These guys already know airfoils, they don't have to guess or make phone calls.  Another major (after watching this SUP business) for me: they have their own factory, like Sunova in boards.  Granted, other kite guys have probably used their contractors for years, but I still prefer a vertical company to a 'marketing' company. (foils look like there will be a sorting fairly soon). I'd bet Ozone makes everything in this bag except for the bottle opener.

Since I am not a foiler, I am going to try to figure out other ways to use this.  I know -right now- I do not want to go downwind forever, so either I figure it out or eat crow.  I hope to get over the beach tomorrow and take some pictures.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Ozone 4m WASP wind wing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
Stoked to see that!  I am sure you will find some great uses.  I saw an image of a guy wingsurfing a SUP on a nice clean wave with no foil.  That looked very fun as well.  How much does the 4 Ozone weigh?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
wet!

youll be on the dark side soon enough----why fight it?

fun!  I am jealous. were i retired id be doing same as you---prolly including pretending i wont be foiling soon!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
Nice backpack. How can you not inflate that thing right now? Get a feel for it before you hit the water. 8)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:49:11 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Ja, it's fricking exciting!  I like new concepts; it will be fun to flounder around to see if there's something in this for me. 

Badger,  I did crack the safe and, because I plan on going over tomorrow, made sure the generic pump I got off Amazon worked. (perfect)

Boss,  One of the first things: the scale.  w/leash - 4lb-3oz or 1.9kg.  It does not trigger any emotions ...unless others are waaay heavier/lighter.

It's small.  I have memories of pumping a 16m kite and breaking for lunch after. This pumps quick - I hope there's some grunt buried in the small size.

I already have a non-destructive mod I am working on but wanted to break because I forgot to give a thumbs-up to Jeremy Green of Jupiterkiteboarding in FL.  I found one 'In Stock' earlier in the week, dropped a PayPal, yatta/yatta - to discover not only 'Not in Stock' but there was a ransom charge if I wanted Priority shipping. Fortunately, I was let out of that headlock, and Jeremy had this one out the same day. 

Back tomorrow.

Jim

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:23:22 PM »
I see a lot of foils in your future. Anyone that dove in that early to kites (I have part of that same story) isn't going to be happy with winging back and forth.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
Don't count out the boom and perfromance on the Duotone.   I'm sure you can learn not to smash your face on it ;D and the rewards are quite dreamy 8)
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 03:04:33 AM »
Boss,  One of the first things: the scale.  w/leash - 4lb-3oz or 1.9kg.  It does not trigger any emotions ...unless others are waaay heavier/lighter.

Hah!  Nice box, let's weigh this thing :).

In terms of using a smaller wing in lighter wind, wing weight is a big deal.  Of course shape has a major impact there as well.  A light wing also thrashes around with much less violence when it is loose and overpowered.  That is really nice on your body and your gear!  Your Ozone is nice and light in comparison with many other wings.  The Duotone 3 Meter is 4.6 lbs and the SPG 3 Meter is 4.8 lbs.  Those weights are without a leash and both are a full meter smaller than your WASP so I would say that is very significant.  The F-one Swing 3.5 Meter is 3 lbs even, but again this is a half meter smaller than your 4 and is without a leash.  Please do weigh the leash if you have a chance so we can know.  It would be cool to get a real world weight chart going for all of these wings for those that are concerned about that. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:07:23 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 06:14:17 AM »
Winter is coming (he intones). It's six ayem, and it's dark and cold. But if I can shake off the resultant ennui I'll weigh my three wings. The four many not be a good representation since it's patched like a hobo's hanky according to admin. We could start a spreadsheet, or add a weight parameter to that cool one that I can't seem to find.

The Duotone includes a heavy aluminum boom, and since I don't have an intact one, having scavenged the ends for carbon booms I'll have to do a little calculation. Someone should check my math, I've been known to misplace a zero here and there.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:19:28 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 07:06:00 AM »
Winter is coming (he intones). It's six ayem, and it's dark and cold. But if I can shake off the resultant ennui I'll weigh my three wings.

I think we are in better wind for the next few days.  Mid to upper teens and steadier.  That sounds like great wind for a newly 5.0 equipped Babcock :).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 07:47:10 AM »
Yup, good wind tends to limit the time spent in foolishness.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
We could start a spreadsheet, or add a weight parameter to that cool one that I can't seem to find.

Is this (https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35199.0.html) the one you were looking for?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »
 Boss,  Just got back from the beach and the first real 'blow it up'...  Per yer request, said leash measures: 3.35oz/94g. I was expecting it to be the first thing I would change, but it's fine.  I guess I am a medium-sized male and the actual cuff is a tick large, requiring an overlap to 'make damn sure!', but it is comfortable enough with no webbing or other edges to bite into your wrist. I cannot imagine you'd need the quick-release, but it's there.

I am stuck with this BIG first impression: IT PUMPS UP FAST.  C'hit - doing a normal, continuous pump stroke*, I clocked it at just over a minute looking at the time on my iPhone.  I did it again to show our local shaper, Jon Ashton who's doing a project for me - very fast.  This part I really love. I ended up hating pumping kites.  We had guys who'd tap their car battery to avoid the GD handpump.

*somebody, back then stacked two pump bodies to get the handle up to where someone over 3'-6" was comfortable with that movement.

Jim 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »
I'll do this a piece at a time because I tend to get distracted...  I may be wrong, but I am guessing Ozone did not need to use battens or quarter struts because the trailing edge is both scalloped and is under a great deal of tension from the leading edge.  From what I understand, lift is mainly determined by the upper surface of the wing, but I cannot remember any paraglider, chute or kitesurf kite (when I kited) having a TE that is also inflated. It might be interesting to put some yard on these wings. 

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
Here is something an old kiter likes: the -new to me- valves. I was used to those pinchy little c'hits where you lose the last 8 strokes of the pump and the bastards could blow if you slammed your kite onto the deck.  This is probably the reason I think this pumps up so fast ..aside from it not being 12 or 16m.

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal