Author Topic: Five meter, five meter, five meter!  (Read 15938 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Five meter, five meter, five meter!
« on: September 06, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
I got mine and it's glorious. Thanks so much to TJ at Big Winds for not getting pissed at me for hounding him constantly and making sure I got one in the current shipment. And to Dan Gavere for hand-delivering mine so I could have it for the weekend. I owe some beer, or something appropriate.

Up instantly in gusty 15-20mph late afternoon crap. Low end to spare, and surprisingly easy to control. I had it fully outhauled, which made it draw a little funny, but it responded beautifully and powered me up on my Axis 1020, 70CM mast, 440 tail and shorter fuselage. Damn that all felt good. Seems like I have a full package to tune on while I learn. 3,4 and 5M Duotone wings, GoFoil 24" and 39.5" masts, Iwa, M200, M280 and GL240 wings, Maliko and wide GL tails, Axis 90, 75, 68 and 60 masts, standard and long fuselage, two 1020 wings, one of which I'm going to butcher, 500 and 44 tails.

I came as close as I've been to a foiling jibe this evening. I tried finishing the jibe on the heel side and planned to hop into switchfoot. I made it to the heel side but the hop didn't work as planned.

I've been practicing the hop around the house. Diane likes that even less than my cross-stepping everywhere. Zack--the dog--absolutely hates it. He barks at me and then runs up and nudges my knee, which means "cut that shit out, you're scaring me."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Five meter, five meter, five meter!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »
Ordered my Duotone 5m today from Jupiter Kiteboaridng in Florida. ( thanks Gregory for the tip!) they have a couple 5 m left and a 4 m if anyone is interested.
https://www.jupiterkiteboarding.com/

Haven’t a clue about this sport yet but what I have read and watched on YouTube. I know I am going to love it and it’s going to be amazing in the Grenadines where I surf, windsurf and sup surf and conditions are perfect.
Hardest part of this sport so far was finding a wing in stock.
Appreciate all the posts with so much good info and recommendations.
Next I have to find the right board and foil, but will learn the wing on my SUP or windsurfer first.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:30:24 PM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 09:42:24 PM »
Congrats PonoBill!
I’m also on “the ETA June- only one 5m showed up list. Problem is now I’m conflicted. Been following you and Admin all summer and it seems that the FOne Sling  is also a winner. Any thoughts before I  cancel my order and hope the Windance FOne order shows up?
Cheers

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 01:20:51 AM »
Hi Pono
Yes the 5M is a great improvement on the 4M. Loving mine. Currently running mine with a Gong XXL pro wing (120cm!) which has super glide and pump. It can run at very low speed but has a surprisingly good top end.
Pleased you finally got your 5M :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:28:30 AM by supunk »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 04:59:08 AM »
Supunk that seems like a near perfect wing rig you’ve got there.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 06:36:07 AM »
Yes it's working well. The big wing allows you to hover at very low speeds but has more than enough top end speed for me. I think a longer mast (currently running a 65cm) would be all that I would change at present.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 07:22:00 AM »
Yes it's working well. The big wing allows you to hover at very low speeds but has more than enough top end speed for me. I think a longer mast (currently running a 65cm) would be all that I would change at present.
What tail is on there have you tried the others?  I've got the 2 kite sizes and a 45cm surf. Been wondering if the 55 surf would help with low wind speed while using a wingy
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 07:51:24 AM »
I need to get one. I don't think I'll ever foil but I'd like to try a wing on my SUP. How do you think it would work with a dagger board? I know it's not necessary but would it help or hurt? I have the Starboard 12-6 with the dagger.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 07:52:49 AM »
Pono :

I was initially AWED by these wings but then let the dust settle with my OVERWHELMING interest.

All said:  I believe I would want to start with a 5 Meter wing because I am hoping to do this in the common 10 - 15 that we have around here.

Ironically these wings could be the sleigh to get us early into MAVS outer sets SUPER, SUPER Wide.

So:  Should I pull the trigger on the 5 Meter?

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »
Stoneaxe based on my experience with an 11-foot Single Fin sup I think you'd be way better off with your 12-6 and a centerboard. I found it really hard to go upwind. If I was really careful I can make it back to where I started but that was about all. I would guess that if I'd had a centerboard better up when angles would have happened much more easily. When I'm not up on a plane on my 7 foot 10 sup with the foil underneath, I can go upwind without much problem. So a bigger board with a dagger board should be similar I would think. I would be interested to to hear how it works for you.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 08:31:21 AM »
What tail is on there have you tried the others?  I've got the 2 kite sizes and a 45cm surf. Been wondering if the 55 surf would help with low wind speed while using a wingy

Using a standard 45cm surf stab. I have a 45cm kite one as well but have not tried it yet. The kite stab is a bit sharp despite sanding the edges and I am a little concerned it could puncture the wing. Would be interested to hear how the 55 goes if you get one?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 03:17:41 PM »
I need to get one. I don't think I'll ever foil but I'd like to try a wing on my SUP. How do you think it would work with a dagger board? I know it's not necessary but would it help or hurt? I have the Starboard 12-6 with the dagger.

Great board for that, and the daggerboard (more precisely, fin) will let it go upwind easily. You'll be able to get any board you can rail hard to go upwind, but with a daggerboard it's easy money. Adding a ventral fin to the Triton is a good alternative, and if that Speedboard has one already (I don't remember) then it would be awesome.

Of course, you'd eventually want to foil, but just sailing with the wing is fun and pretty easy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 03:23:45 PM »

So:  Should I pull the trigger on the 5 Meter?

Of course. You'll go nuts.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »
I didn't even think about the speedboard….yes it has a ventral. Maybe take it out inside the harbor. I hate that board when it gets the least bit choppy but it would fly on the flats.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal