Author Topic: Wind wing leash failure  (Read 54927 times)

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wind wing leash failure
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
Has anyone had a wind wing leash failure yet? I was out solo today in blustery conditions and suddenly thought that the consequences could get pretty serious. Not certain of any way around it. I guess just change your leash regularly. Anyone around using rope instead of a leash? Interested to hear your thoughts :)

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wind wing leash failure
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »
Just saw a video of Alex Aguera wing foiling and he looked to be using a windsurfing uphaul as a wing leash. Anyone tried this? Would be a lot less likely to snap.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
I had the same thought, the wing would be gone if the leash fails.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
On several wings the leash attachment to the wing is a likely point of failure--it's just too wimpy, and anyone that's seen a wing on the end of the leash doing porpoise dives into the water realizes that it's getting pounded. I added a loop of kite line from the front handle to the leash railsaver. The loop is loose, so if the leash attachment is intact it doesn't do anything, but if the attachment breaks it will give me a chance to recover. The leash doesn't really need to be urethane and have swivels and cuffs. I'm going to make one that's bulletproof from Dyneema rope and attach it to my waist leash. I considered the FCS Freedom leash--they look great, but reviewing the ratings for them was enlightening. Lots of failures.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 12:34:51 AM »
I used the FCS freedom leash for a while as a wing leash.  It is really nice and light but it is too long for the wing.  A short wing leash is so much nicer.  A short leash offers way less room for the wing to go nuts and therefore it never pulls as hard or as violently (which can happen on a longer leash when you are really overpowered).  Also, a lighter wing will tug you (and the leash) around with much less force.  That is noticeable.  Check out the F-one Swing leash that comes with their wings.  It is about 3 feet and is my gold standard. 

PS: The FCS freedom leash is awesome for these boards.  I am using that now and it allowed me to dump the waist belt entirely.  It has a really cool cuff which never rotates on your ankle.  Set it off to the side and you will rarely step on the leash.  On those occasions when you do the leash is so thin that it makes much less difference.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:37:25 AM by Admin »

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
Due to my concerns of a windwing leash failure when offshore I have now started using a windsurfing uphaul line as a wing leash attached to my waist belt. Seems to work fine on first impressions and is much more secure. I just need to rig a failsafe line attached to the boom of my Duotone as double security in case the leash attachment pulls out from the leading edge. Fly safe :D 

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
Yes I have lost/broke my leash 2x's with my wing, once in 30+ knots at Maryhill where I got very lucky and was able to catch it after it found a wind eddy and stopped blowing downwind, whew!  2nd time at Hatchery when using a new homemade leash (8mm bungee cord) that came untied...  Luckily I was able to catch it again there too.  The boom filled with water and helped the Wing "park" in the water.  Whew...
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »
Due to my concerns of a windwing leash failure when offshore I have now started using a windsurfing uphaul line as a wing leash attached to my waist belt. Seems to work fine on first impressions and is much more secure. I just need to rig a failsafe line attached to the boom of my Duotone as double security in case the leash attachment pulls out from the leading edge. Fly safe :D

I run a failsafe from the handle to the leash railsaver--just a loose loop of kite line but if the leash attachment pulls out it should be obvious without letting the wing get away, or at least give me time to grab the wing.

I think the F-One leashes are the best thought out of any I've seen so far. It's a piece of braided cord with a short section of shock cord inside. the ends are tied on--no swivels, no funky plastic collars, no urethane that will break with minimal effort if it's knicked. The wrist attachment is the closed type that you slip your hand through and tighten, which will give a chance for recovery even if it comes open, and is much easier to attach than an open cuff. You can leave it loose so the leash will pivot on your wrist and still not be able to slip over your hand. Pretty much perfect.

I think the mistake other manufacturers are making is in thinking that these leases should be like surfboard leashes. Nope.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:48:55 AM »
"(8mm bungee cord) that came untied"  ...' critical mistake.  Tying knot in bungee is like keeping a Black Snake out of a barn full of mice; it will simply get as small as it needsto break the bond.  Fixed cord = fixed (proper) knot. Even urethane cord can/will half its diameter - look at leash stretch in heavy conditions.

I am likely to avoid 30kts but took a pretty hard look at the Ozone WASP leash.  Mine is a 45" bungee buried in 90" tubular webbing.  The Dyneema attachment point in the LE is sewn almost dead center, assuming that is the most neutral spot on the wing.  I am average size but found the wrist collar a little large. In one of Robert/BluePlanet videos, he mentions leaving it loose so it rotates easily. I'll accept that, but make sure it is a lot smaller than my fist.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »
Any recommendations from you guys on a good wing leash yet not really liking my naish open cuff leash seems to get in the way quite a bit,and slides around to much almost came off onetime, any good waist harnesses that work well for winging?anyone make a wing specific leash yet that’s pretty good?Thanks
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 10:18:53 AM »
I don't think there's a reason for shock cord of any kind. I think rope will work just as well. And the closed cuff wrist attachment is good. I'm going to make a few leashes with webbing and a chunk of internal shock cord (in case I'm wrong) and experiment with waist leashes this winter in Maui. I've been using them forever for surfing, no reason they won't work well for wingsurfing.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 10:34:37 AM »
I don't think there's a reason for shock cord of any kind. I think rope will work just as well. And the closed cuff wrist attachment is good. I'm going to make a few leashes with webbing and a chunk of internal shock cord (in case I'm wrong) and experiment with waist leashes this winter in Maui. I've been using them forever for surfing, no reason they won't work well for wingsurfing.
Like to see what you come up with Bill.I just find it awkward with a leash going to my arm/wrist Flapping around in the way,couldn’t imagine surfing, kiting with attachment that way,gotta be a better way, was thinking a waist leash, but never tried one of those either,nor can I find one these days used to see em back in Sup hey day advertised,any idea who makes em?Maybe old windsurfing uphaul or better designed wing leash might do the trick attached to ring/carabiner on waistbelt/harness/PFD something like that,just don’t like the leash swinging around on my arm especially on transitions like to have my arms free be better imo
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
Still using a windsurfing uphaul line attached to a waist belt for the wing and an Oceanus retractable leash attached to my belt for the board. For the belt I use a 2" nylon belt with velcro fastening. May get one with a clip fixing for more security in the future. Combo works well for me and the uphaul line is much more secure than a coil leash for the wing. Cannot see it breaking, fingers crossed. Much easier to hold onto when my Duotone starts porpoising too :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:16:11 PM by supunk »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 04:37:23 PM »
Like to see what you come up with Bill.I just find it awkward with a leash going to my arm/wrist Flapping around in the way,couldn’t imagine surfing, kiting with attachment that way,gotta be a better way, was thinking a waist leash, but never tried one of those either,nor can I find one these days used to see em back in Sup hey day advertised,any idea who makes em?Maybe old windsurfing uphaul or better designed wing leash might do the trick attached to ring/carabiner on waistbelt/harness/PFD something like that,just don’t like the leash swinging around on my arm especially on transitions like to have my arms free be better imo

The best wing leash I've seen so far is the F-One, and it goes to the wrist. Part of the reason it works so well is that it's really short, and it's basically rope with a shock cord insert for about a foot. I think it's about four feet long. It doesn't get in the way and its very flexible. I manage to tangle it sometimes on my fake boom, but that's just because I put a T handle on the front of the boom. I'm starting to think that was dumb.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
Saw this today. Might try the waist harness this arvo, not enjoying the wrist, too many tangles.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal