Author Topic: Look what I did to my 9'4" Creek?  (Read 8504 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Look what I did to my 9'4" Creek?
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:38:51 PM »

I put a long board fin box in the middle...replacing the FCS box.  I really like this set up with the side Halo fins.

I was using the Takayama Halo 5 Inch side fins but the middle FSC single box made the board spin out...even when using larger FCS middle fins.  It just never surfed like I thought it should.  I suspected the middle FSC fin was placed to far forward.  I put the long board box in and just moving that middle fin back and forth a few inches really makes the board surf differently. In smaller and medium surf I use the Halo's and the 4 inch fin.  The board paddles faster , surfs much better and catches waves earlier.  It is slightly less stable but surfs way better in my opinion. I should note the Creek already surfed good with the fins that come with the board.  I just felt I could get more performance out of an already excellent shape.

This new fin arrangement has made my 9'4' Creek almost a total quiver killer for me.  I use this fin arrangement 75% of the time.  I sometimes use a 5 middle when the waves are slightly bigger.  Using the Halos and a 7 inch longboard fin makes the board slower but turns the board into an easy nose rider.   All this of course is my opinion and your findings may vary.

I switch to my 9'10' Laird Surretor for large and hollow surf...but that doesn't happen all that often.  It has a very thinned out nose and tail and holds in the larger surf.  The fin arraignment is a two plus one.  4 3/4 inch regular side fins with a 7 inch middle fin.

Anyways maybe somebody could benefit from this.  I'm hoping "Creek" could maybe try this out so we could get an official opinion. 8)

Those FCS 5 inch fins are hard to come buy.  I bought them a few years back in Hawaii but can't find them in Calif?

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Look what I did to my 9'4" Creek?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 10:33:50 PM »
Good idea. I have a Creek (8’7”) that I believe is a great shape that surfs well with Cdrives.   I wouldn’t put a box in my Creek. I have thought about it though with my Speeed so that I could get more nose riding with a big fin in back. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has tried this setup.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 05:06:37 AM »
Hi Will, good to see what you are up to!
I often wonder how you are doing.

Cool to note:
Will is the reason there IS a Creek model at all!!!!

He contacted me and asked which Sunova would work best for him.... then gave me his background and stats.
I mulled it over and said:
You sound like you are perfect for a board I designed last fall... and sent him my design and thoughts on it.
I sat on the design for 6 months because Sunova's had supplied me with 20 boards and didn't feel comfortable asking them to make me a custom.
The design had only one purpose:
a winter performance board for me.... a 9'4.

Will responded:
I'll tell you how much I like it... you tell Bert to make 2, and I'll pay for one of them!"
That's all the push I needed
Bert made mine per my request as red/yellow blend.... Will's was stock Balsa.

They shipped together, but being on the West Coast....
Will got his first  ;D ;D ;D

Bert like the design so much, they made it a model.... thanks Will, for getting this ball rolling!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will, the side bites you use look pretty sweet..

Interesting to see what people do, fin wise.
Everyone surfs differently and in a variety of conditions, so lots of approaches to fins.

I have gone the opposite way.... I went smaller in my center fin on my 9'4 Creek
at the sametime.... I went larger on my sides.

Great drive from bigger sides.... looser and snappier through turns with the small "pivot" style center.

I found an old FCS H-2 Thruster set from the 80's and tried the center fin in my Creek.
less rake, more pivot
4.65" deep.... shortish base
Completely awesome in small to medium waves.... I haven't tried it in anything over 5' yet
It makes it snappier, and somehow smoother through turns in weaker sections.

I took this screenshot off my video from Friday's session
The video I posted Sunday shows how easily my 9'4 turns in very small waves.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »
It looks to me like the side fins are on backwards?
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 07:06:34 AM »

Yes very unique fin. I wondered the same.  From the website “The fins have a very unique shape with the front edge being flat and back edge curved. It almost gives the perspective of the fins being backward, but ironically makes the board turn much easier and forgiving.”

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 07:25:41 AM »
I have a 8'10" Steeze, which comes with a longboard box, and I really like having a couple of FCS2 fins on hand. One the same size as the side-fins, and a long pivot style longboard fin. I have moved it around a bit front and back but I don't really have enough experience to feel the difference. But having the option seems really smart.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
A great idea!  Sounds like it works very well.

I like having a long board box with a Thruster or a 2+1 setup.
It lets you change the turning arc by moving the center fin up and back.

Also, when you have that you can use more upright fins which I think are faster -
you don't have to use different swept fins to adjust the turning arc.

For smaller and slower waves, I like more of a pivot, so I make the cluster tighter
by moving the center fin forward.

For bigger, fast storm type waves, I move the center fin all the way back to make
the turning arc wider - it makes the board more stable while surfing fast waves - a wider arc
and gets rid of any twitch.  To make it even more stable in the big fast surf you can
switch to fins with more rake, either the sides or the center or all of them.

I'd love to get some of those Halo fins - I need to look for them again.
My favorite single fin is a Revers "D" fin.  Those Halo fins look like mini-Reverse "D" fins.

Very cool!
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »
Interesting post. I been playing with fins on my Creek as well. The board is just so awesome (Thanks Will and Creek)! I am trying to make it a little more lively in smaller/mushier stuff. I preordered the C Drives and have about ten sessions with them. I am by no means a fin expert but they definitely give more drive off the bottom. I do think they make the board a little more sluggish paddling in. Not sure about adding the fin box but sounds like Will has it dialed in! Have to give the smaller center fin a go.

and by the way those are JM 5's on an Allwave above the Creek.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »
cant see fit to change the 94's that came with my 8'7"--it's the first size down that comes equipped with the 94 (ie 8'10" and up get the 105) so the size is on the small side--holds and pumps really well, and lets me get a little baby lip slide now and again--aint at all broke, and ive ruined sessions trying out fins that slid out on nice drops etc--zen with this board
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »

Yes very unique fin. I wondered the same.  From the website “The fins have a very unique shape with the front edge being flat and back edge curved. It almost gives the perspective of the fins being backward, but ironically makes the board turn much easier and forgiving.”

Bob

I can't get the term "very unique" out of my head. Thanks a lot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal