Author Topic: Duotone Wing Thread  (Read 32232 times)

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
Re: Duotone Wing Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »
Just a quick note of you have a Duotone Wing and the Boom starts to get a bit wiggly when inflated you may need to tighten the boom connector lines by tying an overhand knot carefully in a place where it doesn't need to pass through the slots in the boom head. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »
impressive! and I like the back wing move below link  :)

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2mZpOWJw0q/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
@river, how do I get a replacement part for the boom? Plastic clip that you use to adjust the length? thanks
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 07:20:23 PM »
gzasinets, if you have any problem getting a replacement, PM me. I have two aluminum booms that I won't be using--I robbed the boom ends from them. In fact, just send me your postal address and I'll send you the clip from one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
@river, how do I get a replacement part for the boom? Plastic clip that you use to adjust the length? thanks

shoot me an email dan.gavere@boards-and-more.us and I can get you squared away.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »

shoot me an email dan.gavere@boards-and-more.us and I can get you squared away.

I sent him one of mine, Dan.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
Yes, thanks Dan! Good for now.
Bill, I owe you one  ;) thanks!
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »
Riding the 5m and 4m Duotones for about 8 weeks. We just don’t get enough 3m days to justify buying that size. I guess the advantages and disadvantages of this version 1 have been pretty well established.

Had my 4m out the other day in seriously overpowered conditions (at least for wimpy me at 78 kg) of about 22-37 mph. Had the wing adjusted to its most flat high wind setting. Doing everything was  way more challenging but overall I was amazed I could “mostly” handle the gusts at all given my limited time riding overpowered. 

Biggest frustration was dealing with the wing  after a fall. The porpoising goes crazy when just held by the leash in those higher winds. I pull it in fast to grab the front handle thinking the leash will just  explode quickly if I’m not holding the wing directly.  Anyway, not quite ready to switch to the crowd favorite (F-One) figuring the V2 of all these wings will be out soon enough.

Working on toeside to heelside upwind foil transitions. Thankfully I ride a really flat spot in strong north winds (doesn’t even look that strong in the pic, but it is!), otherwise I’d be totally out of control. 

Would love to see Ken come up with a flatter more right-side-up-stable V2 of this wing. Then all would be right with the world😀
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:33:44 AM by obxDave »

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »
Excellent remarks and feedback OBXDAVE! 
I agree that the 4m is the best overall size and after being in Maui for a few weeks I was amazed at how well the 4m size worked even when severely overpowered. 
On the leash issue, you may find it to porpoise less if you attach a small piece of leash string between the handle and the leash loop on the wing and then attach the leash to the string this allows the leash to move up and down the string and sefl-center which I found reduced porpoising in high wind considerably. Bill may have already made a post about this somewhere as well if I remember correctly.   

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Excellent remarks and feedback OBXDAVE! 
I agree that the 4m is the best overall size and after being in Maui for a few weeks I was amazed at how well the 4m size worked even when severely overpowered. 
On the leash issue, you may find it to porpoise less if you attach a small piece of leash string between the handle and the leash loop on the wing and then attach the leash to the string this allows the leash to move up and down the string and sefl-center which I found reduced porpoising in high wind considerably. Bill may have already made a post about this somewhere as well if I remember correctly.

Hmmm, I’ll definitely give it a try! Probably a lot less stress on that tiny wing leash attachment loop with the handle taking some of the load.

It’s kinda interesting that the only time I really “sense” the extra weight and bulk of the Duotone is swinging it over my head on those upwind transitions, especially in strong wind.  If I don’t mentally prep to push it forward during the overhead swing, it drifts back just enough that I unintentionally overweight my rear foot almost to the breaching point right while I’m pointed straight upwind. Lots of windage on that wing during an upwind transition in strong winds!!  Despite the drawbacks I love the feel of the boom. Just flatten the wing, gimme a techie light weight boom that will pack and travel, and I’m set😀
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:08:39 PM by obxDave »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2019, 10:35:28 AM »
Looping a piece of spectra from the leash point to the handle and connecting your leash there so it can slide tames the wild porpoise. I connect to only one side so if the leash point, which looks a bit flimsy, should fail the leash stays connected to the wing. A shorter leash is also a really good idea. I think F1 should sell their wing leash, it's the best I've tried.

I think the 4M wing is the current sweet spot of the Duoptone lineup. The 5M needs work to retain its shape in gusts and remain stable, but it's certainly usable and one of the best wings in that size. I like the stability of the F-one 5M better, but the 5M really needs a boom. I don't mind using the 4.2 with the floppy handles but the 5M is hard to use in transitions without the fake boom I made for it. With the fake boom it's much better. The Duotone boom enables a lot of good stuff--any handle position, tuning for wind conditions, easy harness connection, etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 03:08:54 AM »
Boy does this prototype look good. One hand, doesn’t need second hand to stop the wobble. Looks to me like a strut and boom on the wing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Z6eAInh8c/?igshid=5o174ukowmgf

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 03:37:36 AM »
Yes it looks SO good!
And also to me looks like a boom and bladder.. and so efficient!
we just have to wait!
Anyone has more infos?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »
I've never seen a Duotone wing be so stable. The first wings I saw Ken and Rod Parmenter testing in Hood River a few years ago used a bladder and boom--the boom looked like a piece of broomstick.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM