Author Topic: Southern, East Coast guys, what do you do to prepare for a hurricane?  (Read 13214 times)

supthecreek

Re: Southern, East Coast guys, what do you do to prepare for a hurricane?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
That peanut butter looks awfully good after a week without power  ;D

One time we lost power for weeks.
We grooved into a new pace of life.
When the power came back on, my kids and I were actually a little bummed.... the quiet hiss of the propane Coleman lantern had become our happy place!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 05:46:48 AM »
I have to say though, if you're in the path of one of those monster storms and you can leave, do it. Especially if you live in a loe-lying area.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
Many folks who ply the Carribean in small boats have an umbilical to this guy - Chris Parker.  My friends who would normally spend Nov-Apr in the Bahamas never pull anchor without consulting his reports.   Here's Parker's Facebook page. 

https://www.facebook.com/marineweathercenter/

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 02:38:32 AM »
you dont ppower your fridge off the generator?

Definitely get a generator if you can.  We have a Honda i2000, it purrs  like a kitten you barely know it’s on. It runs about 12 - 14 hrs on a tank full depending what you are running off it. I used to power a small guest apartment using this small generator. It’s very portable, sips gas and is so quiet your neighbors will appreciate it.

Stock up on water...fill  your bathtubs with water and use that to flush toilets should you lose power. If you dont get a generator, buy some Coleman battery operated lanterns and plenty of batteries.  Fill coolers with ice to save your food.  They sell solar phone chargers which would help. Also a crank wind up radio, light, phone charger comes in handy. 
I have found most times that the pre storm panic and the post storm chaos is much worse than the actual storm. Those idiots who didn’t plan or stock up become savages after a storm

Agree with all of this - the smaller inverter generators are the way to go, you don't need everything running, but a TV and OTA antenna for football (especially this upcoming weekend) and a mini-fridge are ideal, and they are quiet and don't suck gas. I have the same one. I've only used it during Matthew for a little bit of time.

In Charlotte by the way - I doubt you will get much rain if at all. Far as water/ice and all of that, small water bottles frozen before hand work well as ice. Lower the AC and fridge temps before hand to give yourself some buffer. Also.......there's an easy solution to all of the food in your fridge possibly going bad, ready for it...........eat it. Ha, I grill like a champ during power outages.

Again, the hype these days before and after is probably worse than the storm for 95% of people.

I run the mini-fridge off it, so........I basically would just move things to it if need be. We haven't had a situation where it's become necessary yet. The starting amps for my primary fridge are just at the max of the generator (it probably would work, but I don't want to push it).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 02:42:23 AM »
That peanut butter looks awfully good after a week without power  ;D

One time we lost power for weeks.
We grooved into a new pace of life.
When the power came back on, my kids and I were actually a little bummed.... the quiet hiss of the propane Coleman lantern had become our happy place!

I agree with this - my wife and I had candlelit dinners on the porch, etc. listen to music, read, etc. That's all well and good if after the storm the weather is somewhat tolerable, after Matthew it was in the 60's at night, perfect. Fans and sleeping outside definitely help, we have a hammock and porch swing in a screened porch, I slept out there last time.

So back to the OP - Charlotte will get very little based on the current track, no need to stock up on really anything, prepare for when southerners go crazy for a snow storm later this year.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 05:39:42 AM »
One more suggestion...fill zip lock bags with water and freeze them.  That way you will have plenty of ice...block ice melts much slower than cube.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »
Hopefully no tornados came anywhere near you, nobody mentioned that a hurricane can spawn many tornados inland.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
We didn't even get rain here in Charlotte.  So I guess that being 3 hours from any surfing has some advantages. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal