Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank review  (Read 18292 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank review
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 02:05:33 PM »
I have no problem with the deck pad and it's reasonably grippy. I use the quad on below shoulder height and thruster above shoulder wave. Most of the time I use the thruster setup. On bigger days the 5th fin setup works good (nubster or toothpick fin) and just take the 5th fin off on smaller days which make the board more versatile on any given wave sizes. I think with my weight and board size 8x30 lean I could do with a smaller rear quad fin set than the standard JL fin set.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 02:12:08 PM »
The newer lighter colored pads on JL boards are slippery.  The older black pads had much better grip.  Idk why they changed?  They really need to fix.

dont know why but the old pads did not last for me! 2 years and the thing was trash.
and i never lave my board out in the sun except in the water

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »
i actually have the old black pad and find it slippery (And it is wearing fast as others pointed out) Cant imagine the new pad.

at the end of the day....a pad is totally changeable.  The contruction and performance of the JL board is fantastic.  I'll happily drop another 100 bucks to get the grip needed on his boards

Mmac

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »
I love JL boards and that's all I've been riding for the last 5 years.  I have one board with the older black pad and another with the newer grey pad.  The newer grey pad is definitely more slippery.  Both have the diamond pattern.  In comparing the two, the black pad has some texture on top of the diamonds but the newer grey pad has a smooth surface on top of the diamonds. I think the smooth surface on the diamonds is what makes the newer pad more slippery.  I don't judge boards by the pads, however, I do appreciate good grip.  If I can't get a pad with good grip, I'd rather have no pad (and add my own) rather than have a slippery pad that is dangerous and a pain in the a$$ to remove.   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:48:26 PM by Mmac »

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 02:36:29 AM »
I love JL boards and that's all I've been riding for the last 5 years.  I have one board with the older black pad and another with the newer grey pad.  The newer grey pad is definitely more slippery.  Both have the diamond pattern.  In comparing the two, the black pad has some texture on top of the diamonds but the newer grey pad has a smooth surface on top of the diamonds. I think the smooth surface on the diamonds is what makes the newer pad more slippery.  I don't judge boards by the pads, however, I do appreciate good grip.  If I can't get a pad with good grip, I'd rather have no pad (and add my own) rather than have a slippery pad that is dangerous and a pain in the a$$ to remove.

Exactly - the old pad (which I have on the B&B) and was on the Worldwide is great. I have most of the pad removed from the SuperFrank just trying to decide to go wax or with a OAM pad. This week I've been on my SuperTech, and while I love wax it does beat on your feet after several days of standing for hours (well I sit a good bit too, but still).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »
I mentioned in my original review that the deck pad felt a little slippery but I don't even notice it now (bare feet, warm water). I think it was just an observation in comparison to my older board, which has a thick, super grippy and heavier pad on it. The Super Frank pad definitely feels more minimalist, which suits it, i think.
This morning, thanks to Hurricane Humberto, was my first chance to get some overhead waves on the Super Frank. Lots of fun. Was generally slopey and walled up rather than barreling, and the board did great, even on some late fairly steep drops. Jimmy's site calls the board a SUP groveler - if this is groveling, I'm all for it!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 01:00:16 PM »
I do appreciate how this board handle late drops on oh waves that even a kook like me can feel confident enough without thinking about PT for the next 6 months but the slippery pad is definitely an issue I’ll have to address. Had 2 close encounters due to slippage on critical moments.
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
most of us don't do the big surf and the SF is a versatile board in my opinion from 1ft to overhead waves and those shallow late take off reef break. It's fast, and I have the lean version it's so engaging on the rails I thought I was on a gun shortboard.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal