Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank review  (Read 18291 times)

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank review
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »
I was lucky enough to pick up an 8-6 X 30.5 Super Frank Lean in the carbon version, lightly used. Initial impressions were well-made and super-light (below 16 pounds?). Set up with stock quad fins. Clean design: mostly white, with orange and yellow sunburst design on back third. Plenty of float for my recent alarming expansion to a stress-related 210-ish pounds (it's slowly on the way down!). The deck pad seemed a little slippery the first day, but I've gotten used to it. I like the ledge at the end of the kickpad.

Finally got the chance to surf it the last couple of days here in North Florida, two early mornings. Neither day had much power. The first was semi-lumpy, chest-head-high lines that closed out eventually. The next day was smaller, waist-high, very clean, super, super soft, no one else out.

The board: It catches anything, easily, as easily as my 10-footer. I think it's that wide point forward. You can slide your front foot up to paddle for our weak waves. But then some sort of strange mojo kicks in and it's like the board surges forward; I easily caught swells I thought I had little chance to make. One time I even gave up on a wave and stopped paddling -- the board just kept going and I caught it!

Once on the wave, even those soft waves, it just wants to play. A lot of my surfing lately has been longboard-style point-and-aim, cross-walk up and back; the Super Frank instead invites -- almost insists -- that you roller-coaster it, top to bottom, and it was so easy to do, even if I don't always have my rear foot as far back as I should. The turns got me through some of the threatened close-out sections, gaining needed speed even in slow waves.

I tried a couple quick cutbacks and it came around in no time. I think it's the light weight that must help. Also tried some cross-stepping, no problem, and got into a nice trim on the front third of the board (my longboard and longboard SUP roots run deep).

In short: An extremely lightweight board that will put a smile on your face, turning uninspiring waves into fun. Can't wait to get it on waves with a little more oomph and some bigger faces to travel across. A new board can change the course of your surfing -- and I think this is one that will do that for me.

Not sure why the pic is sideways, but you get the idea. Now let's get this hurricane out of the way!

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank review
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »
Nice score.  You would think more places in florida would sell these but i have yet to see one. Having a board like that in Florida is a necessity. Nice write up and have fun.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 09:51:08 AM »
That board was on my list! enjoy.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Mmac

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:43:58 PM »
Yes nice score, I would pick up an 8'6" SF Lean in a heartbeat.  Great board for small to medium conditions. Sold my 8'er.  Still trying to decide if I should get an 8'6" SF Lean or go with the Destroyer MP 8'5"? 

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
Hard to go wrong with either, I figure. Exact same volume. I love the looks of the Destroyer; seems like a no-brainer fun all-arounder. I think it depends on what other boards you have. The slightly pulled in nose (but still wide point forward) of the Super Frank filled a hole in my 'quiver,' such as it is. But if a Destroyer came waltzing along somehow, I wouldn't hesitate ...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 05:37:25 AM »
Thanks for posting that, abm   It sounds like the board has a lot to give you.  JL is one of those highly respected labels that does not get enough attention here. Cheers.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »
I'm still happy with my SF. I always look forward to using it whenever the conditions are favorable.

The Destroyer looks very tempting. I'd love to demo one for comparison.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:14:16 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
I have the 8x30 SF lean 115ltr and weight 80kg and I think it improved my ability to surf and the board is soo much fun. This board surprisingly takes off well on steep reef breaks, I'm selling my board as I'm moving down size for those Australian buyers?

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 01:35:37 PM »
Super Frank is awesome, one of the BEST sups I have ridden. I don't understand why Jimmy describes it as small wave board I took it to 2x overhead sets last week on Maui and it was awesome.
Here are couple of pics in about head high surf on Maui, riding 8.0x30 Lean 115lt

Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »
gzasinets, JEG: Nice to know it can handle some size and steepness. I kinda figured that. Good to have it confirmed. Thanks.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »

Congrats on your SF! 

in bare feet the pad Jimmy uses is definetly slick...especially when it wears in a little. in Booties its just fine.

if it ends up really bothering you- check out the FCS dimple pad- Especially in Florida when you may never be in booties.

I go from Bare feet to 6mm here in NJ and the dimple is the most versitile- (Yet doesnt come stock on any production board I know of)

Definetly also a 'hole in my quiver board'   always on the lookout for a used one

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 01:17:38 AM »
I've had my 7'6 X 31 SF out on a few head high days. The flat rocker makes it very fast and skatey which takes a little more ability to control in bigger surf than typically rockered boards. When it gets around shoulder high, I usually end up switching over to the Sunova Flow so I can lay out deeper carving turns.

The flatter rocker of the SF makes it harder to bury the rail and hold it there when turning. It gives it plenty of speed but turns are done in quick little bursts which is a nice advantage in smaller weaker waves but can be a handful on bigger more critical days.

In contrast, on mushy days the Sunova Flow can be so slow that it can barely get up enough speed to turn. That's where the SF comes alive.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:53:11 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 02:43:23 AM »
The SuperFrank is essential for East Coast waves, I would say that I can probably ride it 75% of the days that are surfable, with the other percentage being covered by a noserider/longboard type of board and a few days when it's longer period, bigger waves just to have a bit more size for floating. It will make you a better rider as it allows you a stable ride that catches waves easily in a smaller than normal package.

I have the 7'6" lean and love it, although I will agree about the pad. I'm in the process of taking if off now. I would venture to say for most people it's not an issue, I just prefer wax.

I've gone back and forth on it with respect to thruster vs. quad, I think it's going to stay a quad for now.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 05:51:36 AM »
I don't find the pad too slippery but I don't do a lot of radical maneuvers.

I run quad also. I switch to thruster now and then but always return to quad. Same with my Flow. It seems to suit my style of riding.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Mmac

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 07:17:43 AM »
The newer lighter colored pads on JL boards are slippery.  The older black pads had much better grip.  Idk why they changed?  They really need to fix.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:19:36 AM by Mmac »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal