Author Topic: Help planning a trip  (Read 8510 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Help planning a trip
« on: August 26, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
My buddy and I go on a surf trip every year.  For the past couple years we've gone to Tamarindo Costa Rica.  This year we want to try someplace new where the foiling is good.  I would like to get some recommendations.  It can be anywhere in the world, but we're looking for good foiling spots.  Some ideas we are tossing around are Maui (we've both been) or Fiji (neither of us has been).  I look forward to your input.

Evan

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help planning a trip
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:27:18 PM »
Well, I know what Dave would say, but Maui is pretty sweet for foiling. California to Fiji is 11 to 12 hours, Maui to Fiji is 6 hours. Cali to Maui is 5 hours. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. Why chance 'em, try two. That's what the bags of ice say on Maui.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:38:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_1bY3dUx1s

If I went back to Peru a foil would definitely be in my bag.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
You simply just can’t go past Namotu in Fiji , it really is the foiling Mecca of the world. 
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
dont go to fiji Evan Lloyd as I heard is absolutely horrible waters, shocking waves and its not paradise ;D

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »
For me hands down the best trips have been with a local guide, even when we got skunked the local connection was more fun. 

The other factor is time of year.  For example nor cal in the summer is often a no go, especially late summer we often get no waves and not enough wind.  In the fall Monterey to Bodega is where I want to be.

Third factor for me is do I want to be walking distance to everything, or traveling to wherever it's good today?  We're often on the move as its rarely good for more than a day or two at the same spot, sometimes only a few hours.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal