Author Topic: 9'2 Blue Planet Sweet Spot in Overhead T6  (Read 6277 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
9'2 Blue Planet Sweet Spot in Overhead T6
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »
I'm back in California for a bit and I'm jumping on every chance to surf.  My long time surf buddy, OCsurf, and I surfed Trail 6 with clean, overhead sets this morning.  A little walled, but super fun.  Apparently, mountain biking 6-12 miles almost every day has helped me to be in shape for surfing because I felt good out there and had plenty of stamina.  Mountain biking is great, but man, I miss surfing!! 

OCsurf loaned me his new Blue Planet Sweet Spot and I totally loved that board.  Kudos, Robert for a fantastic board. It was decently stable.  Paddled fast and got into waves exceptionally easy.  Turned a little when riding mid board; just enough for course corrections.  When I got my foot back on the tail block the board came alive and was surprisingly loose.  I was able to work the wave up and down and do a few modest slashes.  All this turning on such a big board is likely due to massive amounts of rocker, especially in the tail.  When I got on the tail block, I could feel tail go down and most of the rest of the board come out of the water for a feel that was much shorter than 9'2.   

If anyone wants a board that can do it all, they should look at the Sweet Spot. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:07:06 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: 9'2 Blue Planet Sweet Spot in Overhead T6
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Zooport, glad you liked the sweet spot. 
It actually does not have a massive amount of rocker, see attached image, just a nice, smooth rocker curve.  I find that too much rocker slows the board down.  I think our boards come alive off the tail more because of the thinned out rails and tail, rounded pintail and the curvy outline, not just the rocker.
Here is the link to the Sweet Spot:
https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/92-x-32-sweet-spot-2019.html

Fun fact: the Funstick model has the exact same amount of volume (140L) as the Sweet Spot but is two inches longer and one inch wider.  The volume is the same because the rails and the tail are thinned out even more, which holds well even in bigger surf while being stable when paddling out, which is why these are some of our most popular SUP surfing boards.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:12:47 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 9'2 Blue Planet Sweet Spot in Overhead T6
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 06:22:28 AM »
Thank you for the kind words Zooport, glad you liked the sweet spot. 
It actually does not have a massive amount of rocker, see attached image, just a nice, smooth rocker curve.  I find that too much rocker slows the board down.  I think our boards come alive off the tail more because of the thinned out rails and tail, rounded pintail and the curvy outline, not just the rocker.

Fun fact: the Funstick model has the exact same amount of volume (140L) as the Sweet Spot but is two inches longer and one inch wider.  The volume is the same because the rails and the tail are thinned out even more, which holds well even in bigger surf while being stable when paddling out, which is why these are some of our most popular SUP surfing boards.

Yeah, after it was too late to change the post, I realized that the Sweet Spot couldn't have the amount of rocker I assumed because that would have made it slow...and the board is pretty fast.  Now I want a Fun Stick. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal