Author Topic: Naish 2020 construction snuff pics  (Read 159198 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish 2020 construction snuff pics
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2019, 01:40:41 PM »
I’d broadly agree with that. But some fin area down low can be useful to stabilise the board if the water is very turbulent: you can’t get into the bumps if your board is on a rail. This is why I like the Longboard House Squirrel Cutaway Fin or FCS Fat Boy for DW. Short base, low area, but some area down the tip end. Not so great for less than 20 knots but really comes into its own from 25. Looks odd as hell but they work really well. Cheap and tough too, compared with these super-expensive SUP fins we are all paying through our noses for.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »
Agree with A10 about fcs fat boy - works really well - I have 2 (9 &10 versions)
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2019, 05:04:48 PM »
I was on the water today on the Maliko with the little 28 sqi/6.5" GTS and it was really fun. Definitely there is something with the 7" magic number for a fin box so close to the tail.
Bit of tide, not much wind. Maybe 12 knots at the end. Definitely board feels a lot looser.
Now I am not holding my breath for much hold with such a small fin when the wind picks-up.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
I’d broadly agree with that. But some fin area down low can be useful to stabilise the board if the water is very turbulent: you can’t get into the bumps if your board is on a rail. This is why I like the Longboard House Squirrel Cutaway Fin or FCS Fat Boy for DW. Short base, low area, but some area down the tip end. Not so great for less than 20 knots but really comes into its own from 25. Looks odd as hell but they work really well. Cheap and tough too, compared with these super-expensive SUP fins we are all paying through our noses for.

I was on the Javelin with the SIC 7.0 yesterday.
Started with no wind but plenty of chop (residual of unstable conditions plus tide flowing). On the last 3 km I got bit of wind like 15 knots and some stiffer chop (tide against river current against wind). The small SIC fin kept me on my toes. I got sloppy (one of my knee is hurting) and was a little sluggish with my lateral weight distribution. The board told me off - if you want me to keep nice and flat then you have to treat me better :-)

I guess that is the drawback of a short fin. Nice, fast and easy until conditions increase. Have to try out a cutaway to check how it goes.
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:09 PM »
Ha! Coincidence - I downwinded using the 8.3” SIC Weedless yesterday, fitted in an 11-6 Hypr gun.

I hear you say “you can’t downwind an 11-6”. Well, you certainly can downwind this one. I was amazed at how well it caught the bumps. I was even railroading from one bump over the top and into the one in front. The 8.3” is normally too big for me in eg. my SIC RS, and I prefer the 7.0. But in the 11-6 the 8.3 worked really well, although actually it might have been nice if the base were a tiny bit longer when paddling upwind on that board - would have improved tracking. I’ve got a Slater Trout Carbon 8.25” coming soon and I might try that in it. I need a base length somewhere between the True Ames 404 fin and the SIC 8.2, with a bit of area at the tip.

It’s such a shame that Futures, True Ames, Rainbow etc seem to almost have stopped making SUP single fins.  There is a lot less choice than there was about 5 years ago. I don’t really trust the FCSII fittings in many boards, especially not in big DW conditions, so that rules out most fins from FCS.

I wish Larry would make more fins with shorter bases too. And I had an easy way to buy them in the UK.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2019, 01:57:29 AM »
Turning into a fin fest! Looks like I might need some new fins.
 Any more info on the Maliko. What is the bottom shape like. Any pics of the bottom.What sort of speeds are doing/averaging.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2019, 08:33:52 AM »
 Any more info on the Maliko. What is the bottom shape like. Any pics of the bottom.What sort of speeds are doing/averaging.
Good point - Burchas has gone very quiet about this, so we’ve had to fill in the gaps with fin talk. But what we really want to know about is what he’s done to this poor board. It’s probably a frankenboard by now :)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
Good point - Burchas has gone very quiet about this, so we’ve had to fill in the gaps with fin talk. But what we really want to know about is what he’s done to this poor board. It’s probably a frankenboard by now :)

A wild guess is that he could have had the fin box moved forward and resolve the issue of finding the best fin to complement the board :-)
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal