Author Topic: Naish 2020 construction snuff pics  (Read 159193 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Naish 2020 construction snuff pics
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 07:37:22 AM »
I am with you regarding the dragons :-)
I had a board that was exposed carbon and yes it becomes darn hot even when paddling.
Is there any way to tint the resin on the top layer?
Somewhat the wood also make these look very special - dan if you do dan if you don't....
Low volume, picking small bumps....what there is not to love.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 08:24:09 AM »
I am with you regarding the dragons :-)
I had a board that was exposed carbon and yes it becomes darn hot even when paddling.
Is there any way to tint the resin on the top layer?
Somewhat the wood also make these look very special - dan if you do dan if you don't....
Low volume, picking small bumps....what there is not to love.
Yeah, they will get hot, no doubt about it. Hypr can do these boards in a fancy Carbon vector net construction that would be much cooler. But I like the look of the carbon and am willing to accept the ownership issues. And yes, I do like the wood too - which is why I currently have three wood Hypr Guns. I don’t like the dragon motifs, but in some parts of the world they are very popular. I’ve had lots of useful discussions with the EU distributor about “European” graphics and colorways which in practice means more muted and traditional designs that show off the materials and craftsmanship to best effect. I don’t see the point in using really expensive materials (tropical hardwood is much more expensive than PVC foam) and creating such beautiful and complex shapes by hand, and then covering it all up with loud graphics. But each to their own. It’s amazing that they have listened however, and are willing to take these semi-custom orders.

I think that if you were to go for a resin tint you might a well do what I did with my custom UL and just have it as white as possible, maybe with thin slices of carbon reveal to show what is underneath.

Fortunately in the UK we don’t get really hot sun often. Although right now it is over 31C in some places here, so you’d certainly need a board bag today (the Hypr boards come with their own custom bags). Apparently, Ian Foo leaves these boards out in the sun all day in Hawaii (Big Island) without trouble. So they may get hot but it seems that they don’t delam or melt. They do have goretex valves.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »
Btw, the cost of this strong and durable semi-custom, full PVC, double carbon Hypr 14ft board?

Much less than a (apparently fragile) Naish Maliko...

Hmm...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »
Btw, the cost of this strong and durable semi-custom, full PVC, double carbon Hypr 14ft board?
Hmm...

Yes that kind of killed it for me....
I have also found that the cost become a question of how close are you from the distributor (for some brands) and what is the distributor bringing in his container.
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »
Hmm...

Yes that kind of killed it for me....
I have also found that the cost become a question of how close are you from the distributor (for some brands) and what is the distributor bringing in his container.
Hypr Nalu Hawaii ship worldwide :) :)

But you might wish to wait until I’ve tested this 14ft of theirs first...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
Hypr Nalu Hawaii ship worldwide :) :)
But you might wish to wait until I’ve tested this 14ft of theirs first...

There is that plus I rarely if ever buy a board full price or new....I am still broke regardless :-)
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »
On the subject of fragile Naish....the 2014 Javelin LE is right with the best or the worst....
Thankfully I got the board at a really, really good price. it had been raced a couple of time and there were some light damage on the right side from banging pricey boards against each other at a buoy turn when there is kilometres of waters around....
This is just the outer layer and nothing had gone through the carbon.

I am unsure how to fix this little crack for the peace of mind of knowing that not water will ever get in.
I put some marine epoxy and then wipe the surface so that hopefully some epoxy has stuck to the hairline but I am not sure that it is good enough.

Any valuable advice?

Thank you

Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 06:55:38 PM »
Deep fins tend to "stop" the board before it really takes-off and it is demanding on the engine to try to keep things going. The few times we get clean swell with space in between, I feel like a hundred million. It feels effortless and fast.
I am waiting for the next iteration of Larry Allison "Bump" fin short (7") with some area at the tip, to see it is a good compromisse between a fin with short base and "straight" lines and a fin with wide base and flex at the tip.

That's why I don't compromise on fin box placement. You can't find the right fin because you always have to make some sacrifice due-to the box.

That said, the SIC weedless should work well. Larry created that shape for the old Barks that had the fin all the way to the back as well. That  was the Jim Terrell fin and I think I might have one of those somewhere, it has a slightly longer base than my SIC weedless and I could have really used one on today's session.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »

Hmm...

That sounds like a killer board and i'm keen to hear about it once you have it. I might have one my self if it proves to be everything you'd hoped it would. and to think I can get one close to the dealer price of the Naish board just makes it a no brainer. I'll paint it yellow anyway with some carbon reveal at some key areas. It does get very hot where I'm at.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »
Deep fins tend to "stop" the board before it really takes-off and it is demanding on the engine to try to keep things going. The few times we get clean swell with space in between, I feel like a hundred million. It feels effortless and fast.
I am waiting for the next iteration of Larry Allison "Bump" fin short (7") with some area at the tip, to see it is a good compromisse between a fin with short base and "straight" lines and a fin with wide base and flex at the tip.

That's why I don't compromise on fin box placement. You can't find the right fin because you always have to make some sacrifice due-to the box.

That said, the SIC weedless should work well. Larry created that shape for the old Barks that had the fin all the way to the back as well. That  was the Jim Terrell fin and I think I might have one of those somewhere, it has a slightly longer base than my SIC weedless and I could have really used one on today's session.

I had the SIC 7.0 today on a light downwinder about =<20 knots (after a strenuous upwind...). The speed was good, the control was excellent but overall it  felt too "tame". I did not get that great feeling when the board takes-off and you know that you need to step to the tail. Not sure how to describe it, the board did not loose much speed in between the bumps but did not accelerate as much either. it felt more like down winding a clog but with more directional control. I do enjoy the glide on the back of the board a lot more....maybe I need to give it more time but I am also going to try the Mako 35 until Larry's fin revision 3 comes out.
That was on the Javelin which I am planning to use mostly for flat water but you know how conditions are when you leave the beach but after that.....
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »

Hmm...

That sounds like a killer board and i'm keen to hear about it once you have it. I might have one my self if it proves to be everything you'd hoped it would. and to think I can get one close to the dealer price of the Naish board just makes it a no brainer. I'll paint it yellow anyway with some carbon reveal at some key areas. It does get very hot where I'm at.

If it is a new board that does not cost CAD 3,900 or more that would be a nice change. Naish are around CAD 3,300 full retail here. but less during the winter  ;)
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »
It does not seem to have bothered their riders like Casper and Kai or are they riding customs anyway with boxes closer to 12"?

They do ride production boards but I've seen the fins they are using, 7" would be the deepest.
which is about the sweet spot for a box like that. When you get 30knots and up non of that really apply.

You have to remember the conditions they have and their skill level makes all the difference in the world. If you ever saw on of these top level guys in a technical bump session you'll be amazed, humbled and stoked all at once. It's a thing of beauty the way they move the board and how they move on the board.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
They do ride production boards but I've seen the fins they are using, 7" would be the deepest.
which is about the sweet spot for a box like that. When you get 30knots and up non of that really apply.
Yes I am looking at the most common conditions we have which is between 10 and 20 knots.
At 25 knots I just smile and forget about just anything....

You have to remember the conditions they have and their skill level makes all the difference in the world. If you ever saw on of these top level guys in a technical bump session you'll be amazed, humbled and stoked all at once. It's a thing of beauty the way they move the board and how they move on the board.

Yes Lincoln Dews and Fiona Wylde were here on a downwind race in my neck of the woods.....enough said! Glad I talk to them on the ground because in the water they were gone....I am long past the idea of buying something because the Pro are using it. Sometime it is exactly the opposite don't buy it because only the pros can use it...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:44:35 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 12:43:16 AM »

Hmm...

If it is a new board that does not cost CAD 3,900 or more that would be a nice change. Naish are around CAD 3,300 full retail here. but less during the winter  ;)
In the UK, the semi-custom double-Carbon full PVC sandwich Hypr Nalu Gun 14ft is costing me around the equivalent of 500 CAD LESS than a 2020 Naish Maliko would cost me.

Of course, prices of the different brands vary from country to country. But IMO this makes the Naish questionable value - and yet the Maliko boards are cheaper than many equivalent board here. A SIC RS will cost you the equivalent of 4500 CAD here - comfortably more than a Maliko (the RS has a fancier construction though.)

I guess that Naish, SIC and all the other “big” brands have relatively large marketing and sponsorship budgets to pay for, and complex distribution systems that eat up the customers’ money. Certainly, the customer service I have received from Hypr Nalu Hawaii in the UK has been really superb, and fully commensurate with a premium brand. Indeed, I’d call the service “elite”’rather than just premium. So although the Hypr boards are fully in the “premium” price bracket, they look good value next to Starboard, SIC, Naish, Fanatic etc when you compare what you get as a customer.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 07:55:59 PM »
I guess that we will all be waiting for the review :-) and start saving.......
That is also a board with some killer looks (without the killer dragons) so would boost a little bit my image back to years ago :-)
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal