Author Topic: Naish 2020 construction snuff pics  (Read 159191 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish 2020 construction snuff pics
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 01:31:49 AM »
I guess that we will all be waiting for the review :-) and start saving.......
That is also a board with some killer looks (without the killer dragons) so would boost a little bit my image back to years ago :-)
:) Well, it sure helps you justify to yourself emptying your bank account if the thing you are buying looks as beautiful as a work of art that would cost that much :)

I’ll need to find a 2020 Naish Maliko to do some back-to-back comparisons. But there aren’t that many around me. There’s a demo centre about 1.5hrs away that might have one perhaps (I tried a 14x26 2019 Maliko there). Most of the racing emphasis in the UK these days is on inland flat water. We get so much wind and unpredictable weather that it’s hard to plan and hold ocean events. So I’m guessing that it will be the Javelin that might outsell the Maliko here this year. Plus, few people can afford new race boards at the moment because our currency is going down the toilet because of Brexit, and everyone is holding off on big ticket purchases until we find out how big the economic disaster is going to be. Super-cheap inflatables are selling like hot cakes though. They are everywhere.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2019, 04:23:59 AM »
Btw, has anyone here tried a JP Downwind Race? It looks to be an obvious competitor for the Maliko.

I notice that the fin box appears to be quite a long way further forward on the JP.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2019, 05:17:42 AM »
Btw, has anyone here tried a JP Downwind Race? It looks to be an obvious competitor for the Maliko.

I notice that the fin box appears to be quite a long way further forward on the JP.

Wasn't impressed by it. I raced a guy who owned it who's considerably faster than me and he had hard time keeping up. When he switched to the RS it was business as usual.

As for the Maliko, tried it yesterday in small bumps (1ft max) choppy water 10knots wind.
Took my 7" surf fin. That really took care of the stalling in small bumps and I could finally get into some really good glides even in these small conditions.

Had to power up with more strokes to keep the momentum but now I know the potential is there for good fun on small days once I add new fin box.

Next thing to try is using a really small fin to mange good angling by drifting the tail. Tried it in the past on a board with much wider tail but my timing sucked so I couldn't get anything going. Maybe this time with better tail and improved timing I could make something happen.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2019, 06:18:23 AM »
Thanks for the JP info. That brand seems to get a lot of lukewarm reviews for their distance SUPs...

It’s interesting how quickly that the SIC RS has become the standard to which other boards are compared. I guess it helps that they have wisely kept the same design.

It’s hard work in decent DW conditions round here though (25+ knots, short period, shallow, rippy and messy). Great for everything else.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 06:28:13 AM »
Thanks for the JP info. That brand seems to get a lot of lukewarm reviews for their distance SUPs...

I tried one of their race board, 2017 or 18 14x26 I believe, such an awkward board, was a dog too.
I'm sure some of it was due-to to the fact I switched with the guy going down from my Standamaran, but still...

It’s interesting how quickly that the SIC RS has become the standard to which other boards are compared. I guess it helps that they have wisely kept the same design.

If it ain't broken don't fix it. Naish been consistent with the Maliko for years now as well. minor to no changes year to year. Try and sell that to Starboard
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:40:57 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 07:21:09 AM »
As for the Maliko, tried it yesterday in small bumps (1ft max) choppy water 10knots wind.
Took my 7" surf fin. That really took care of the stalling in small bumps and I could finally get into some really good glides even in these small conditions.
Had to power up with more strokes to keep the momentum but now I know the potential is there for good fun on small days once I add new fin box.
Next thing to try is using a really small fin to mange good angling by drifting the tail. Tried it in the past on a board with much wider tail but my timing sucked so I couldn't get anything going. Maybe this time with better tail and improved timing I could make something happen.

I do some of that based on our conditions. Sometime before the inflow really set-in we have zones of light wind 10 knots but with very small bumps that are cleaner.

I have found that with the 2018 Maliko (box 6" from tail) and the GTS fin (wide base/7.75 depth) I could often power to a decent speed and catch glides sometime with quite a few links and prevent the stalling.

With the Javelin (box 5"2 from tail), I could not get that until I changed to a shorter fin (Sonic and SIC 7.0) so an inch might make a difference. I have fitted a Mako 35 to the box of the Javelin to try next. The Mako 35 will not fit in the box of the Maliko that is shallower than the box of the Javelin.....

Now I am tempted to try the mini GTS - the center fin for 4D - (6.5 depth) and the Sonic/SIC on the Maliko.
With the mini GTS, I am not sure that I will have enough "projection" to get the board to speed or if we get to the other part of the runs into stronger wind, big messy chop if I will make it through standing :-) the other bummer is that the mini GTS does not fit properly in the box of the Maliko and if it does not fit properly, I am not taking a chance on the water.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Now I am tempted to try the mini GTS - the center fin for 4D - (6.5 depth) and the Sonic/SIC on the Maliko.

The GTS would be my first choice only I don't have it with me right now, same goes for the Dolphin mini, both at 6.5". I'll try them both but I'd rather address the issue itself rather than work around it and compromise. As for the fit, 10 minutes and a little UV Resin and you're setup for good.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
As for the fit, 10 minutes and a little UV Resin and you're setup for good.

Yes but then it does not fit in the box of my Ace-GT anymore  :o
I did use the good old tape and eraser to make a good fit that I can reverse later.
See what the conditions are this week-end for testing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:46:18 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »
I love fins, and enjoy playing around with them to find the best setup. But I find that if I have a board where I am still feeling the need to change the fin after a long time, or am considering extreme solutions, then it usually means that there is some aspect of the board design that is suboptimal.

By contrast, there are some boards that you can for almost any fin too and it seems to work well.

Mind you, even after 13 years of experimenting with SUP fins, on many dozens of fins and boards, I can still be surprised. For instance, I put a 404 True Ames 9.25” race fin my 11-6 Hypr gun the other day, when I was going to be using it for touring rather than surfing. I put it in purely as an experiment, thinking that such a big fin in such a relatively low volume (for an 11-6 surf SUP) board would be draggy and stiff. But to my great surprise it works really well, and better in that board than in any other I’ve tried it in. It might be something to do with the deep double concaves in that board - but, actually, I’m still not entirely sure. It should have been overkill, but it isn’t.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »
Out of curiosity, I downloaded an application for measuring areas from a picture.
I used a fin with known measurements to kind of calibrate my technique.
The LA GTS 7.5 came out at about 39 sqi (same than GT Moray)and the LA mini GTS 6.5 came out at about 29 sqi.
That put them on par with the Mako 37 and the Mako 28 for comparison purposes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:19:55 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »
You are lucky being able to get LA fins where you are. Seemingly, I can’t even find out about those fins never mind buy them here in Europe.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2019, 08:42:09 AM »
You are lucky being able to get LA fins where you are. Seemingly, I can’t even find out about those fins never mind buy them here in Europe.

Direct from Larry or there are a couple of online stores in the USA that might ship to teh UK but stock and models are limited at any given time:
https://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/paddle-board-brands/fibre-glass-fin-co-larry-allison

These are the two GTS I am talking about 6.5 and 7.5:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:46:19 AM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »

Probably not for you anyway Area. You do not like fins with a lot of base if memory serves :)
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2019, 09:07:19 AM »

Probably not for you anyway Area. You do not like fins with a lot of base if memory serves :)
It depends. The drive that a long base can give can be useful for downbreezing. But my conditions are very rippy and messy, and strong currents under the surface of the water will drag at long-based fins and encourage broaching, and long bases also make cross-wind and -chop much more difficult to deal with since they anchor the board’s tail so much, and so increase weathervaning.

So, if you paddle in nice clean non-tidal waters and rarely above 20 knots then wide bases can be very useful. But there comes a point somewhere around 6.5” I think where the shortcomings outweighs any benefits if you paddle in highly variable conditions.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
I have found that a deciding factor inducing broaching is how strong and at what angle the tide is.
Ebbing tide against wind direction might be slower overall but gives better glide conditions.
So from that point of view, shorter base definitely works better as long as there is enough wind/push so you don't need the wider base to get the speed into the bumps. But I have also found that longer depth fins are as detrimental regarding the above.

This is part of my playground:
1) River with strong current coming from the glaciers
2) Sand bars
3) Tide sometime quite strong
4) cliffs
5) thermals or system wind depending on conditions and time of day
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal